Post by beau_76 »

i was vdb looking for birds but dog was finding rabbit
i think each animal needs it own key
thanks
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: german pointer command change please

Post by VonStratos »

But birds in VdB are in the uplands with the goats (need the climbing ropes), and rabbits in the low lands, probably that is why it was only finding rabbits, but that aside i agree completely with your premise, in Loggers i was looking for rabbits and the dog went a lot after pheasants, i don't need it for pheasants, they are already easy enough to find with the locator and their screams.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
beau_76
Scout

Post by beau_76 »

it was strange i have a tent in the area were birds are the dog kept try to go places you can not go
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Twice I had my dog following a rabbit track & she pointed a pheasant. I am fine with that, that is how pointers act. IMO the pointers shouldnt lock onto a track & follow it to exclusion until it gets to that specific animal. Its just not what pointers do. If it encounters another animal along the way it should stop & point it. Bloodhounds are a different animal entirely. Once well trained they should follow the specific trail exclusively.

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

VonStratos wrote:But birds in VdB are in the uplands with the goats (need the climbing ropes), and rabbits in the low lands, probably that is why it was only finding rabbits, but that aside i agree completely with your premise, in Loggers i was looking for rabbits and the dog went a lot after pheasants, i don't need it for pheasants, they are already easy enough to find with the locator and their screams.
He means cottontails & pheasants, I think.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

SoftShoe wrote:Twice I had my dog following a rabbit track & she pointed a pheasant. I am fine with that, that is how pointers act.
^^this
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

TheSheWolf wrote:
VonStratos wrote:But birds in VdB are in the uplands with the goats (need the climbing ropes), and rabbits in the low lands, probably that is why it was only finding rabbits, but that aside i agree completely with your premise, in Loggers i was looking for rabbits and the dog went a lot after pheasants, i don't need it for pheasants, they are already easy enough to find with the locator and their screams.

But in that case the reason why the dog only found rabbits its simple, there are no pheasants in VdB, only ptarmigans in the high ground where goats roam, now he may be telling that he went to the high ground, and the dog still couldn't find the ptarmigans, that could be the case because i remember that someone mentioned that the pointer wasn't tracking ptarmigans, i haven't check that my self but i hope it wont be another bug because one of the reasons i got my dog is precisely for ptarmigans.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

VonStratos wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:

But in that case the reason why the dog only found rabbits its simple, there are no pheasants in VdB, only ptarmigans in the high ground where goats roam, now he may be telling that he went to the high ground, and the dog still couldn't find the ptarmigans, that could be the case because i remember that someone mentioned that the pointer wasn't tracking ptarmigans, i haven't check that my self but i hope it wont be another bug because one of the reasons i got my dog is precisely for ptarmigans.
Oh my bad, I was reading SoftShoe's comment for some reason :D
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

VonStratos wrote:that could be the case because i remember that someone mentioned that the pointer wasn't tracking ptarmigans
My dog points ptarmigans very efficiently. Probably the type oft birds where a pointer makes most sense to use
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Return to “Dog suggestions”