Make Scenthounds Better

Share your dog-related ideas and suggestions here
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Re: Make Scenthounds Better

Post by ShaneRoach »

My understanding, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, is they have altered the scent hounds such that if they lose a blood track you can put them on the regular track of the wounded animal and they will continue on from there. Thus they are more or less fixed if you know the work around.

Right now all I have is a pointer, but I would like eventually to have all three dogs. I guess my question is, does this work around work? The reason I ask is it probably will influence which specific weapons or tools or perhaps how many tents etc I buy before I break down and finally get the scent hound.

I personally SEEM to be able to find all wounded animals if I really want them, nor does it particularly affect me if Doc writes the occassional snark. So if the scent hound is not dramatically cutting back on the TIME it takes to find them it really is doing me no good and begins to be more of a vanity purchase.

I like dogs. I just kind of want to know how much I should like this one at this point.
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

ShaneRoach wrote:My understanding, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, is they have altered the scent hounds such that if they lose a blood track you can put them on the regular track of the wounded animal and they will continue on from there. Thus they are more or less fixed if you know the work around.
Not always.
Yes, you can put a hound on a regular track if a prey is still bleeding. However, since animals gained an ability to 'close wounds', this also disables scenthound' ability to track them.
For example you can hit a buffalo through stomach or intestines, and the scenthound would follow the tracks. But saying 500 m from the initial point, the dark 'intestines' blood is replaced to medium 'body' blood, and then an animal stops to bleed at all, so a scenthound is not able to track it.
This happened to me twice in my most recent hunt.
Sometimes this also happens with lung shots.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

Wow, I don't think vitals shots should close up that fast. The one realistic scenario for lack of blood seems to be a high body shot that mostly bleeds internally, but a shot that is low on the body that is eeking intestinal fluids of some sort? Hrm. This is all fixed if they stop pretending a scent hound can only track blood. I am a good bit disappointed in that from a design perspective. The tracking of fox and deer and etc by a dog mostly known for its birding was a very, very poor choice in my often not terribly humble opinion.

Maybe even more than dog breed, just the training regime for tracking game vs birds doesn't really make sense on that front. But speaking strictly from a dog breed to hunting purpose standpoint - https://borntotracknews.blogspot.com/20 ... -deer.html

I mean the use the nominal "bird" dog for wounded deer, but the scent hound gives them the better tracking result even then because it stays on the line rather than sampling the wind for a sign of the quarry in real time.... it highlights how certain dog traits dovetail with their hunting uses and how a bird dog for tracking ground game is not ideal. I've seen a video now on tracking unwounded animals with scent hounds too, and there seems to be a tendency to use them in packs which this game does not even begin to address.

Anyhow thanks for the update. Apparently scent hound remains a very late low priority!
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

Scenthounds works great indeed - they carry bags with additional ammo and callers.
The fact that they are also able to follow a track sometimes is a pleasant bonus... :)

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)

Return to “Dog suggestions”