Pointing Labrador

Share your dog-related ideas and suggestions here
PinkJackal
Spotter

Pointing Labrador

Post by PinkJackal »

I am a hunter in real life and I also have a Labrador, he is my best friend, my trusty companion, the best pointer and the best retriever, his name is Bart.
I also play TheHunter since 2009, I love this game, I also bought a Labrador in game, he is ok but what we really need beside retrieving is to be able to point and flush birds like IRL.
I mean every player that is a hunter in real life knows that a dog is used for pointing and flushing birds beside retrieving.

That's my wish, I hope the devs will listen and implement this ability for the Labrador.
Manu5Ahau
Scout

Re: Pointing Labrador

Post by Manu5Ahau »

big +!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

yes, manu5ahau's avatar says it all
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
G10rgos

Post by G10rgos »

One correction here, Labradors are retrievers, not Pointer dogs, but the idea of a pointer dog needs to be implemented, sooner rather than later
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

G10rgos wrote:One correction here, Labradors are retrievers, not Pointer dogs, but the idea of a pointer dog needs to be implemented, sooner rather than later
Real Labs can certainly be trained to point. Do some research on it. You'll find some articles and videos on the subject.
G10rgos

Post by G10rgos »

Huh. I've personally never seen a labrador used as a pointer, I've always used English Setters and German Pointers
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

G10rgos wrote:Huh. I've personally never seen a labrador used as a pointer, I've always used English Setters and German Pointers
I first saw them being used in quail competitions on TV. Surprised me too that so many champion shooter/dog combos were using Labs to point. If you can find that on YouTube, it's impressive to watch.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Pointing Labradors? Yes there are some labs that are taken for their pointing traits and bred with others of the same pointing traits to get these pointing labs.
Labs were used mainly as a fast flushing upland bird hunting dog and able to retrieve the dead birds, as you know with there other waterfowl retrieving abilities.
Some people,.. some hunters have objections of changing the Labrador retriever breed traits,..
and then there are the other hunters who are behind this gun dog breed to point.

In "theHunter game" I would rather see some Spaniels for pointing, flushing, & retrieving upland birds, as it would give us another dog entirely.
But the arguments have been presented before and we still have half of a hunting dog(s) with the 2 breeds we already now have.......... :lol:

Here is some information from the "Gun Dog Magazine" that really explains what's been happening the last few decades with this subject for anyone who really wants to know
what the change is all about. For better or worse, the decision is really up to the gun dog owners!
http://www.gundogmag.com/breeds/gundog_breeds_lab_0616/

Return to “Dog suggestions”