Command options for while prone?

Share your dog-related ideas and suggestions here
K4n4y
Hunter

Re: Command options for while prone?

Post by K4n4y »

While waterfowl birds are mostly shot in standing position the dogs will one day or another have to deal with rabbits that can be shot at long range while prone with the .22 rifle for example.

Also if for example you go for pheasants and spot an animal more or less close to your position you shouldn't have to loose time ordering the dog before eventually going prone for a secure shot, especially not if the dog refuses to obey at the first order forcing you to stop walking to give the first order "lay down / stay", then go prone , then having to go crouch again and order it again until it execute the order before being able to take a correct shooting prone position at the animal you spotted ...if he's still around after all this gymnastic ..

If not ordered to lay down for some less risky shots at range like for hogs that don't spook much, the dog can move a bit around you and if you are on a tiny elevated point and he passes just under your fire-line you will most likely not be able to shoot as the results will be the same as trying to shoot at it directly, happened a few times to me already when i was in a hurry to shoot an animal i spotted before he flees, the damn dog was nowhere visible in my x12 scope but she was preventing me to shoot at the animal i had in sights .

The whistle should be enough for the dog to understand or we can imagine that we also give him other vocal orders when prone ( not asking to implement this, just saying it sounds plausible to whistle or tell him vocally to not move only).

Hope they will add this soon.
Tuck_SFA
Hunter

Post by Tuck_SFA »

You've all made good points towards the topic. I really don't have any IRL experience with this, so I won't offer anything towards whether they allow V keying while prone to give a command. But, what I would like to say is that if they don't modify to allow a command, I would suggest that they at least modify it to show the information in the upper right of the screen while prone (leaving the pinwheel off). That information is valuable as it will allow the hunter to make a more informed decision to crouch or not and have him Stay (or as Knut's suggestion 'down') or shoot quickly. If the dog is at a low XP%, he might not respond as quick as you need as Knut pointed out that the dog's response time is critical.

Quote Knut: "That's something that needs to be obeyed fast and irrefutable."

Knut's quote here is taken out of context, but it applies none-the-less.
Spoiler:
K4n4y
Hunter

Post by K4n4y »

I don't hunt and even less with a hunting dog irl, but i had real dogs , not highly trained ones like you can think about, nope, in fact it was somewhat smart dogs but stupid when it came to execute orders, just normal dogs and i can tell you that my dogs do not need to see me or see my hands to execute a simple vocal or whistle order i give ( when they decide to obey :lol: ) ...

I also had few times in my life the opportunity to look at herding dogs that were working on mountains areas with sheep and goats, the dogs were doing all sort of tasks with the sheep and goats large or small herds and the orders were given from far away by whistles, not a single gesture or word, just whistles while the dog had the majority of the times no visual at all with his owner...

In game now that they made the dogs spook everything around this became essential, so became essential to skip the useless and too slow hand animation for lay down and stay orders , when giving such order right now you have to un-equip what you have in your hands, do the hand animation and equip again what you had in your hands , for example the "stay" command takes exactly 3.583 seconds to execute the animation, "come here" order is a bit faster and takes 3.25s just to execute the animation, then there is the hassle of aiming at the animal again with the rifle or bino's and re-focus on it ...

The time to give an order even using keybinds is too slow because of the animations, some orders like stay or lay down needs to be executed really fast, press one keybind, and the command is done quickly without any animation required or the need to un-equip our rifle or binoculars, just add a simple whistle sound effect and execute the commands on the dog without any other constraint on our pawns... look at what we have now ... right now the time to execute the animation and the dog to react the prey will be far away running ...

I really don't understand why all those simple things didn't came to the minds of the persons in charge before releasing dogs in the game, when we first saw the live stream it's one of the first things I noticed and then posted on the forums about this

They fixed things a bit later and gave us direct keybinds but this isn't enough, we need to give orders while prone and to give them faster for the "lay down" & "stay" ones especially since they made the dogs act as they should spooking other animals ...
Last edited by K4n4y on July 5th, 2015, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuck_SFA
Hunter

Post by Tuck_SFA »

Totally agree about the animations. Can 'em. Waste of time and unnecessary. Whistle would be plenty realistic for me.
Spoiler:

Return to “Dog suggestions”