Re: Scent Hound ??

Post by abslayer »

BUT and this is a BIG but Quote AS LONG AS doesn't lose the trail
This should not happen IMO
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I agree with you, well i can understand if happens at level 10, when the dog is a "puppy" as was described by EW, but a 35+ dog losing trail... for the 999 ems that worth you can get a good rifle like the .30 o/u and place a shot in the lungs, no track needed at all, i got my dog in a sale to try it, i wont recommend it for the full price, specially now that is bugged, but i take him with me for the extra backpack in every hunt, but that can be done for the Pointer too, and it seem like a more convenient dog atm.

The only situation where the scent has really saved the day for me is when tracks domes get inside a rock, or another glitched terrain, it happen and you cant see it or barely see a little part of the track dome, and that can make you loose the trail or at least make you search for a lot of time, the dog can see that tracks, but the odds of that happening are so minimal...

The retriever in the other hand works like a charm for duck hunting or rabbits or birds, is like a great asset dog from lvl one.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Mills
Outfitter

Post by Mills »

Strange. In any of my occurrences, I'm always able to put my scent hound on a blood trail even after he loses it. I just find the next blood spot and give the command to track. If there's no more blood tracks I know the animal is still alive and no longer bleeding which will require me to do a follow up shot. I've not ever tried to put him on just a normal track. From my recollection I thought the scent hound was designed where you could only give the command to "track animal" on "blood" tracks. There could have been times where I'd put him on a blood trail and he refused to follow it, which could be due to the dog's level or that the animal did eventually stop bleeding and has now gone into a roaming state until you finish it off.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

You only needed the blood track to start tracking, after that if the dog lose the trail you could resume from any other track of the animal, that is already mentioned in the dog bugs section. Is a separate issue from the one where the animal stop bleeding due a bad shot, it happens too that the animal can recover and need a second shot, but those are 2 separate things.

ImageImage
Mills
Outfitter

Post by Mills »

Here's the link to the release notes for the Scent Hounds:
http://news.thehunter.com/introducing_s ... thehunter/

And a little snippet on how to start the tracking, what it can or cannot track, and notes on when tracking can fail:
To track a wounded animal you’ll need to walk up to a blood track, ID it (left-click on the track with the HunterMate) and then hold “V” and select “Track”. The Scent Hound will move to the selected track to get its scent and then it will start tracking. It can track blood tracks and fleeing tracks of an animal, but not water tracks. When the dog has found the dead animal it will stay by it, baying and barking so you can easily pinpoint the location. When can a Scent Hound fail with tracking? Well, there are basically two scenarios. The first is that the dog simply got distracted during tracking. It may have caught the scent of another animal or the distance between two clues was too far. The second scenario is that the animal being tracked just got brushed by a projectile, bled for a few minutes then the bleeding stopped. In this case the dog cannot continue the tracking.
From what I gather, it needs to be a blood track to be given the command to "track" the animal. After that the dog will still track blood and fleeing tracks up until the point of finding the dead animal, or if the animal was only winged and has stopped bleeding altogether. Also, it can become distracted by the scent of nearby animals. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that's the official notes on it. Just my take on it. Should you be able to give a command for the dog to track a "fleeing" track? Maybe a dev weigh in on this?
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Yeah but before you could resume the tracking from fleeing tracks(now the command is grey and unable),now how someone else already said, with bow the animal will die always, even after a long tracking, and it can take a long way without a blood spot, then if the dog lose the trail you can resume from a fleeing track and eventually it could find the next blood track, but now you need walk back to the last blood track you had to resume all the way tracked. This all start when the pointer was introduced, the scent hound went fubar and couldn't even track, and was fixed recently but not completely.

ImageImage
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

The hound is the opinion of the most useless and frustrating dog to own and use, it can not find anything by itself and you can use it wearing the bag and transport ammunition if you want...it's the only dog I have and that is not maximum level really discouraged...
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Prior to the release of the Pointer, you could always put your scent hound back on the trail of a wounded animal with ANY track. You had to start him on a blood track, but once started, you could restart him on any other track. After the release of the Pointer, this changed, and you now have to always find another blood track to put him back on trail. There are so many scenarios that make this a big issue, the worst of which being that if you really NEED your scent hound on a trail, the wounded animal probably isn't bleeding that much. So to lose trail on such an animal and be completely unable to put your hound back on trail when you need him most reduces the value of the hound significantly.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: Scent Hound ?? [Blood Tracks Only]

Post by Hawkeye »

Moved to <Kennel - Dog-related Bugs>
HawkEye81
Tracker

Re: Scent Hound ?? [Blood Tracks Only]

Post by HawkEye81 »

I completly agree, I have lvl 20 tracking on most of the deer species so I rearly use the hound but unfortanately he's failing when I need him more, sometimes a body shoot with a rifle will only give 1-2 tracks of blood in the beggining and that's all and if the hound is loosing the track going back all the way where I hit that animal is taking way to much, now with the new rendering range an wounded animal can run over 300m.
The ability to put the dog back on tracks (on any track of that wounded animal, not only the ones with blood) is probably the most important feature of my hound and it's not working.

Return to “Dog-related bugs”