Scent Hound ?? [Blood Tracks Only]

Report all dog-related bugs and glitches here
abslayer
Master Competitor

Scent Hound ?? [Blood Tracks Only]

Post by abslayer »

I have tried the fetch dog when hunting birds and he works great and is fun to use :D

I heard the scent hound only tracks big game when there is blood in track , Is this true ?

Or does he track wounded animals down with no blood in trail ?
Last edited by Hawkeye on August 22nd, 2018, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified title
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Scent Hound ??

Post by Tanngnjostr »

abslayer wrote:I heard the scent hound only tracks big game when there is blood in track , Is this true ?

Or does he track wounded animals down with no blood in trail ?
The scent hound only tracks wounded animals and you need to find some blood to tell the dog to track the animal. Also, it will not track an animal that stopped bleeding, so it usually only works on vital hits, not on body shots.
Image Image Image
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

Blood tracks are easy to follow by player why would we need the hound
If it does not follow when blood stops in that case hound is not worth getting IMO
GunnyMac22

Post by GunnyMac22 »

It was worth it before they broke it, if your a fan of bow hunting the scent hound is a good companion because the animal will always bleed out when shot with an arrow.
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

A scent dog should be able to follow a highlighted trail with or without blood showing
A real dog sure can THIS needs to be fixed or dog is useless
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

I should say the bird Dog retriever works exceedingly well and well worth getting 8-)
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

A real scent hound would not need blood AT ALL, you are right. The scent hound gets very broken at later levels, too, and hardly works at all, has issues crossing water, etc. Not worth it until they improve it, imo. The retriever is excellent for what it does, though sometimes the retrieved prey ragdolls and throws itself far and you have to go find it :lol:

I hadn't finished training up my pointer yet but it was fun to hunt with. If you like rabbits and birds it's great.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

He's currently bugged, so yeah, whenever he loses the trail, you have to find another blood track to put him back on it. It's pretty frustrating right now. Previously, all you had to do was put him back on ANY track from the wounded animal. Obviously, this is bad, because any animal that is running long enough to require you to put the hound on him, is probably going to go very long stretches between blood spots.
Mills
Outfitter

Post by Mills »

I think this might be due to the fact that once the blood stops, the animal is still most likely alive (albeit wounded) but will not die unless you put another round in it. Using this logic the dog stops tracking the animal to avoid spooking it even further. Again, I could be wrong with this assumption... just my experience using it. I use my scent hound on almost every hunt unless I'm specifically going after birds/rabbits which I will then use the pointer.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Mills wrote:I think this might be due to the fact that once the blood stops, the animal is still most likely alive (albeit wounded) but will not die unless you put another round in it. Using this logic the dog stops tracking the animal to avoid spooking it even further. Again, I could be wrong with this assumption... just my experience using it. I use my scent hound on almost every hunt unless I'm specifically going after birds/rabbits which I will then use the pointer.
That also happens, but the bug I mentioned is different. A good way to test it is to try it out with a bow. Knowing that everything dies when shot with an arrow, if the hound loses the track, you still can not put him back on trail without finding more blood. The option to "track blood" will be greyed out. This is different than the intended mechanics of the dog just stopping tracking because the animal will live on. In fact, in those cases, you used to still be able to put the hound on the trail over & over again, he just wouldn't progress on it. Now it's different. The option is no longer there.

I've also tested this on big game in Piccabeen Bay, shooting from long range. I've even shot from long range, watched the animal flee, then watched it die, then put my scent hound on the trail, and still am unable to put him back on trail if he loses it. In those cases, I've actually watched the animal run & watched it fall. I'm only putting the hound on it for the XP. As long as he doesn't lose the trail, he's great to have.

Return to “Dog-related bugs”