Scent Hound behaving like German Pointer

Report all dog-related bugs and glitches here
Seifer
Hunter

Re: Scent Hound behaving like German Pointer

Post by Seifer »

It's been a long time since my Hound was a lvl 1 so I honestly don't remember what she was like back then but I don't think that she was ever this bad, even at lvl 1. The behavior seems crossed with the Pointer somehow.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Today I go to Hemmeldal with my Scent Hound with level 15. I shot a red fox at lung and the fox ran just for about 30m.
I command my dog to track him just for levelling up.
But she couldn't do that!
The fox was dropped in front of us and she couldn't see it.
I wonder do they even have eyes?! :?
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

HD_Artworks wrote:I wonder do they even have eyes?! :?
Hossein, I do think their nose is more important. ;)
Image Image Image
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Tanngnjostr wrote: Hossein, I do think their nose is more important. ;)
I don't trust their nose anymore because she couldn't smell lung blood!
If she opens her eyes, she could easily find the fox
Season Stats
Spoiler:
GunnyMac22

Post by GunnyMac22 »

You hit the nail on the head Seifer, mine is doing the same thing. I didn't buy the Pointer TheSheWolf.

Yeah my lvl 47 Scent Hound is useless now :(
sniper68
Spotter

Post by sniper68 »

i had same prob my lvl 16 dog could not find the animal, so got my lvl 2 dog out and he found it in about 2 mins no problem ??
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Ok guys after some experimentation i found the trick, first, the dog "can track" but its messed and there is a trick to it, he track using the pointer way to find animals, not the scent hound one so:

When you shot an animal and get the blood track(intestine by example) give to the dog the track order, he will start to track, BUT you must walk in in the direction that the animal flee, because the dog will only track ahead and around you in the direction you walk, so if the animal run to west and you turn the north the dog will seek the tracks in the north, instead keep tracking to the west were the animal went. but if you keep tracking in the same direction where the animal ran away, the dog will find the animal before you do and will bark once found, so as you can see it work like the tracking skill of the pointer. Now if you are tracking animals that run straight you will find the animal, but if you are after an animal that change direction a lot, then you will making the tracking by yourself and the dog will only find the corpse once you are near enough to it. If you lose the track of the animal don't follow the dog blindly, he only track in the direction you go, but since he will go ahead, you may end follow him to nowhere near the animal.

So to resume, scent hound is fubar at this moment.
Btw: My scent hound is lvl 38

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Interesting- I had to pull my hound out for the first time since I don't know when when I couldn't find a rusa after 40 minutes. So I started over, she got on the track and followed it to where I had lost tracks. I turn to head back and she get's on the track of when it was roaming in to where I shot it. So I started her on the blood again and we did the same thing I've done 3 times now. But then, I noticed a dome on a ridge above me, I go up there and it's roaming blood- Put her on that track and then we got back on track- the rusa ran out 150m, then doubled straight back just 10m above the fleeting track. This time she found it, did the howling thing and it was all good. I've never had her follow a roaming track from before being shot ever.
Since I don't use her a lot, I can't say there's any pattern, but she didn't track right either. Today she was useful.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

VonStratos wrote: the dog will find the animal before you do and will bark once found
That isn't always the case for me.

A few times instead of the dog barking, I have been displayed the "dog is pointing" icon in the lower left corner.
And also the way it tracks has been inconsistent for me. Sometimes it is as you describe (the dog searches only in front of me, and at times even goes straight for the animal ignoring a few bends and domes of the track), sometimes it is all like it should.

It's as if two competing scripts collide.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Yes in my case my dog found an animal still alive but dying, and before i reached the place an exclamation (!) icon showed up in my left lower corner on the screen when the dog found the animal, and then the dog started to bark like a normal scent dog, its like it start tracking like a scent hound, then goes into pointer mode until he find the animal (if find the animal)and there can bark or point, in my case since the last patch the dog has been barking, but before i had the pointing at the animal stance as well.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “Dog-related bugs”