Scent Hound behaving like German Pointer

Report all dog-related bugs and glitches here
HawkEye81
Tracker

Re: Scent Hound behaving like German Pointer

Post by HawkEye81 »

VonStratos I had the same experience as you, it seems that the dog will track Only in the direction I'm heading, if the wounded animal change direction(let's say he's going left) and I'm loosing the track for 20-30meters and go in a different direction the dog will loose the track and the main problem is that if he's loosing the track I can't put him to continue tracking from the last track, I have to go back to the first blood track and start all over...
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

HawkEye81 wrote:VonStratos I had the same experience as you, it seems that the dog will track Only in the direction I'm heading, if the wounded animal change direction(let's say he's going left) and I'm loosing the track for 20-30meters and go in a different direction the dog will loose the track and the main problem is that if he's loosing the track I can't put him to continue tracking from the last track, I have to go back to the first blood track and start all over...
Exactly, he can only restart tracking from blood trails now, and that can make you walk all the way to the shooting place, its awfully annoying, not to mention that is probably making awfully slow to level a scent hound at this moment, since they gain exp from each track than they sniff, and with the actual behavior the dog is skipping tracks a lot. Mine is already quite high(38) but those people that are still raising their lvl 15 or 20 dogs must be having an awful time. In the bright side the devs already know there is "issues" with the dog and hopefully will get fixed soon.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

THere's issues even with the bloodhound working correctly - I'll be honest, it's found animals after I've given up and that's happened twice in total. But in those moments, I could not have done it with her.
IRL when a hound gets on a track, they are nothing but an ass disappearing in a cloud of dust because they are gone! They do not lose a track unless tricked by water if it's a stream that's very wide but scanning the opposite bank they will get back on it. If they behaved as they should, we might be forced to buy that GPS collar but when they will barely run beyond what, 30-40m? What's the point. When a hound gets on a track, you the hunter are not on their mind, they have a single focus and nothing else. A properly trained hound would pass up a 2 pound T-bone steak in order to do what's instinctive to it, find what is making that smell driving their inner beast WILD! .... it's what they do man. Then, you'd need that GPS tracker Cha-ching!! :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “Dog-related bugs”