Should you feed your dog treats

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Sudge

Should you feed your dog treats

Post by Sudge »

Hi,
I own 3 dogs and they range from level 23 to 41. However treating them in this game is a very expensive luxury that I believe doesn't justify the cost. A LARGE pack of treats provides 100 at a cost of 42.33gm$/treat! The MEDIUM pack costs 50.66gm$/treat while the smaller pack the ridiculous cost of 67.32gm$/treat.
Sure, a well trained dog is a wonderful asset and in reality all hunters carry and treat their dogs [I've owned and trained at least 8 in my lifetime]. However; not at that cost we are simply giving away the profits.
I now treat my dog once a hunting trip and feel extremely mean, even if he's retrieved 40 odd geese!
Come on guys make providing mans best friend a treat considerably more affordable please?
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Re: Should you feed your dog treats

Post by Dubitabilus »

I am completely with you on this one Sudge.

If my math is correct, you're able to break-even treating your little buddy every 3rd to 5th bird they pull in.
However, in order to foster good habits you should reward good behavior every time.

Looking at an "average" duck (CSS 17 - 26) versus 100 treats, your net deficits are:
100*17 = 1700gm$ - 4233gm$ = -2533gm$
100*26 = 2600gm$ - 4233gm$ = -1633gm$

Perhaps an adjustment to about:
150em$ (2550gm$) for 100
90em$ (1530gm$) for 50
60em$ (1020gm$) for 25
30em$ (510gm$) for 10

This would give dog treats a "scaled" parity to Goat, Hog/Boar, & Bear baits (i.e. also 30em$/510gm$ but for 50 uses).
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

thehammer223
Tracker

Post by thehammer223 »

Yes, the treats are expensive and the best way to get their xp up anyway is just to have them claim birds/rabbits. The dog treats only give them around a 25-50% xp boost. They definitely do not boost your dog's xp enough to warrant buying them.( Even if you do feel bad running them in the ground.)

[When in doubt, use a bigger caliber.]
[My TheHunter Classic name is "Cerebral_Stalker"]
Sudge

Post by Sudge »

Yes I have quickly figured there is little to no value in giving them treats. However; I note a number of posts where advice is given to treat regularly to increase their level. Very poor advice given the cost of the treats. If the current cost was divided by 4 reducing the cost by 75% they would still most likely make as much or more money as we would be far more inclined to give the dogs treats.
My retriever has gone to level 42 in under 3 weeks without excessive treats simply by shooting more Geese! The scent hound is currently on 29 in the same time period ........ simply because I'm a bloody poor shot!

Return to “Kennel”