Blood hound needs some serious work

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: Blood hound needs some serious work

Post by TheSheWolf »

snakeyes32 wrote:Now i'm not sure I was going to buy this dog because I don't hunt ducks but still wanted a Dog to take out with me that would still be useful. I might still buy it just to have a Dog with me but this make me think twice about it. There are very few things that I have prob tracking after a shot Wolves being one of the few things. Anyways i'll prob still buy one.
VonStratos makes good points about which dog to buy--if you're doing waterfowl, a retriever; if you're doing upland birds and rabbits, a pointer is great.

I do mostly deer so I always have a scenthound with me. They were great to begin with, then they were bugged for awhile and now (imo) they're great again. They cross water no problem, they don't lose the trail like mad, etc.

Since I bowhunt, the trail will always continue bleeding, the animal will always eventually die no matter how bad the shot, so the scenthound can be put back on the trail again and again if you need to. It's of huge use in places like Whitehart and Timbergold where you might lose a track in heavy brush when a deer doubles back or turns sharply. The dog can find the track right away and put you back on the right--well, track. I personally definitely recommend it, particularly if you bowhunt--indispensible.

PS if you're deciding, you might want to also decide which you like the looks of best. I have a Female Light-Coat Coonhound, a Black male Labrador and a male "Chocolate Milk" German Pointer. You'll be spending a LOT of time with them so aesthetics might matter to you! (The coonhound is NOT this big, she's just on a little hill in front)

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I agree with TheSheWolf about bowhunters, since there will always blood tracks the scent hound, even at low levels can find the animal, actually bowhunting is the common way to level up the hound for that same reason, no matter if was a body shoot(intestine work better for leveling) the animal will die, and the dog will find it no matter how far it ran, why intestine for leveling? body shots take to long and feels unethical imo, lungs will drop the animal almost instantly so no tracking, intestine is lethal but the animal still will go far enough to make the hound track, and that's how gain levels, tracking. WRR in daylight, aka past 8am is another place where the hound can shine, because is really hard to spot the track domes visually, no matter the color, is too bright. The scent hound have is pro and cons, when bugged was almost all cons, but normal is useful for any bowhunter, be prepared for a long and hard leveling, is far slower than the retriever.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

Well that's sounds like it will fit my needs then I mainly only hunt with a bow inless a comp requires something else. Plus I plan to buy a backpack as well with it to have that little bit more room. So from hearing that prob going to go with this dog. My other choice was the pointer.
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

Well i bought one lets hope i like it i'm sure i will.

[img]Image[/img]

Edit that is a bad pic it was raining here a better one.

[img]Image[/img]
Last edited by snakeyes32 on December 20th, 2018, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Some people may consider this useless or unnecessary, but if you want level the dog a little(very little) faster, and have the spare gms i recommend get some dog treats and give him one each time he found an animal for best efficiency, it wont make a huge difference, but since the Scent Hound grow very slow even a little boost can be helpful, and remember, aim the bow to the intestines, you need a good blood trail and a enough long tracking for the dog get experience, does and hogs may be great targets because they are everywhere.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

VonStratos wrote:Some people may consider this useless or unnecessary, but if you want level the dog a little(very little) faster, and have the spare gms i recommend get some dog treats and give him one each time he found an animal for best efficiency, it wont make a huge difference, but since the Scent Hound grow very slow even a little boost can be helpful, and remember, aim the bow to the intestines, you need a good blood trail and a enough long tracking for the dog get experience, does and hogs may be great targets because they are everywhere.
Yes I just did a hunt with that exact method and yeah I bought dog treats as well. In that hunt I leveled him up to 5 on like 5 hogs the other 2 I dropped on the spot habit I guess :lol: . Don't seem like a bad dog at all he never lost the trail did a pretty good job. That's with a bow though so yeah there will always be blood along the way.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

I think you made a good choice with the blood hound. I thoroughly enjoy having mine with me. What I find most beneficial about it, after its tracking skills get high enough, is hunting elk or mule deer with it because they usually roam in small herds. I can shoot a couple of them at same time and turn the dog loose to track one down while I track another down.
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

My scent hound works OK now that I have a higher level
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

After a lot of testing on this dog Blood hound I stand on what I said at start of thread DOG NEEDS WORK
If it is a simple tracking job that you really don't need dog he works great.
If you have a long hard tracking job and you really need him HE SUCKS
snakeyes32
Outfitter

Post by snakeyes32 »

Just my luck the dog and everything i bought for it are on sale now blah. If i would of waiting 2 or 3 days lol.

Return to “Kennel”