German pointer dog

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Re: German pointer dog

Post by XxStrong1xX »

As someone who used to raise and train "bird" dogs. I have been waiting many years for them to add pointers or setters to this game. I have had the pleasure of hunting behind a few German Short Hairs and they are magnificent dogs. Hope they do them justice.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

I just hope their training be like the retriever and not the scent hound in game, or this dog is gonna be less popular than Poochie (Simpsons reference), and it wont be so strange if we can actually get 2 dogs in a hunt, sure it can take a lot of micromanagement, but if you assign the most used command to an easy access key(like i do) it can be done... now in multiplayer is another theme.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
tsg303
Tracker

Post by tsg303 »

Here is two of my Long Haired German Pointers.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Watching the stream now. Thoughts so far:

- Dog looks good! I want to pet him. A lot. :lol: The model looks great, the animations (as always, for the dogs) are fantastic, the skin looks great. Their pointing is great-looking.
- The behavior looks fantastic. Very realistic and helpful, useful.
- I really hope they are able to retrieve later on; if this needs to be balanced, just give retrievers pointing ability too? Drawback is that ppl won't need to buy both, but really, it's far more realistic. And honestly retrieving isn't particularly powerful; it's always more of a 'flavor' / convenience thing. As a compromise, perhaps pointers could unlock retrieving later on, and retrievers could unlock pointing later on. Just remove "lay down" as a command to make room; "stay" does this anyway :lol:
- To hone in on the nearest animal of X type is actually really impressive. I'm imagining it was quite complicated coding? Congratulations on that, it's a very neat behavior.
- All the dogs could stand to be a bit (20%?) larger in-game, they ARE slightly small, but they still look great :)
- I'd recommend taking screenshots of each dog (of all types!) available for sale from both front and side, and making them available on each dogs' description in the store. As it stands it's quite hard to tell which dogs have which markings without seeing them in-game; the headshot pic alone is limiting. (I think this was mentioned to be on the way)
- I'd have loved an option with a full tail but I do understand why they were made docked and why of course it'd be a pain to introduce just 1 with a change to the model, lol
- To repeat, they look good: they look a LOT better than the weird, cartoony avatars in store would indicate. I think the eyes in particular look fantastic, super soulful :P
- 11/10 good dog

Semi-related/Fixes:
- I'd asked in stream if the issue with dog-switching is fixed and was asked to post it here; at the moment, when you change dogs, their behavior seems to revert to level 1 behavior (they forget eeeeverything and behave terribly with loads of ? to commands). There's bug reports in for this but it's been a long time without a fix. With a third dog being introduced it seems like a very pertinent time to address this if it hasn't been!
- Likewise hopefully the multiplayer dog bug can be fixed, if it hasn't? I LOVE my dog but as a result I rarely play Multiplayer because I want my dog with me. I'd love to make more friends online though!
- Has it been fixed that dogs can obey commands made while kneeling? It might have been only an issue with "Track Blood," can't remember. This has also been a problem for awhile with a report in the bug report section; would love to not have to stand up to do it. Update: Track Blood, at least, still doesn't work while kneeling, just for the record!
- Store typos: "this well trained breed" should be "this well-trained breed" and "recieved" should be "received." If you wanna get stingy, the final sentence should be part of the one before, after a comma--or not start with "And." (Seriously, I've said before I'll copy edit ALL your stuff for free, just send it to me :lol: )

All in all will def. buy one and try it out. Might have to get some small game equipment at last :P Def. a small game rifle.
Last edited by TheSheWolf on July 4th, 2018, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

TheSheWolf wrote:Watching the stream now. Thoughts so far:

- Likewise hopefully the multiplayer dog bug can be fixed, if it hasn't? I LOVE my dog but as a result I rarely play Multiplayer because I want my dog with me. I'd love to make more friends online though!

I asked about the multiplayer bug and according to Matt it has been fixed with the update. We will test it later today to make sure. But this is best part of the entire update in my opinion.

I love the pointer but just wish it would retrieve birds and rabbits as well like a real pointer would!

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

XxStrong1xX wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:Watching the stream now. Thoughts so far:

I asked about the multiplayer bug and according to Matt it has been fixed with the update. We will test it later today to make sure. But this is best part of the entire update in my opinion.

I love the pointer but just wish it would retrieve birds and rabbits as well like a real pointer would!
Ahhh wow if it's fixed that'd be AWESOME. Thanks!
GoldenEagle1
Scout

Post by GoldenEagle1 »

hej are you goimg to release another color for the pointer dog , like black and white . gold and white or orange and white or cause i want to buy a dog with this colors, i already have a brown retriver if yes please do it fast and dont make us wait long time to get our prefered color , it is easy to do another skin color please.

another thing i would like to take out 2 dogs now same time one pointer to sniff animals and the scent dog to find animal .

can u uppgrade the scentdog please to make them find big game like bears, moose, elk and let them warn us ,cause i feel the scentdog is useless now , i can find the animal and see him faster then he do , so please let him help us to find big game , cause the pointer can find the small game now so that well be a god balance to have a good use for the scentdog as well. thanks
Kelfezond

Post by Kelfezond »

Took my pointer out today, I've had my scenthound for weeks now, from 1 to level 20 I've never managed to exhaust him. This pointer on the other hand was exhausted after 1 hour :( Anyone else finding this?
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Best0hunter wrote:hej are you goimg to release another color for the pointer dog , like black and white . gold and white or orange and white or cause i want to buy a dog with this colors, i already have a brown retriver if yes please do it fast and dont make us wait long time to get our prefered color , it is easy to do another skin color please.
A German Shorthaired Pointer coat Color is:
The GSP has a short, thick, water-repellent coat that's slightly longer on the underside of the tail and the back edges of the rear end, known as the haunches. On the head, the hair is softer, thinner, and shorter.

The distinctive coat is solid liver or a combination of liver and white. It can be ticked (small, isolated areas of black hairs on a white background), patched, or roaned (a fine mixture of colored hairs with white hairs). For instance, a liver roan GSP has a deep reddish-brown coat lightened by white hairs.
So do not hold your breath for a black and white one. The dogs are modeled after actual breeds which I personally appreciate.
Code: Select all
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Kelfezond wrote:Took my pointer out today, I've had my scenthound for weeks now, from 1 to level 20 I've never managed to exhaust him. This pointer on the other hand was exhausted after 1 hour :( Anyone else finding this?
Mine has gone down to "Ok" after one track, which is--very worrying, especially considering how long it'll take to level them up as they only gain XP from an actual find.

That being said, they're an absolute joy to hunt with so far. Watching it working thick brush into low woodland and meadow, then eventually turning onto an actual scent trail, then pointing a rabbit, is SO immersive!

Here, have a screenshot of William (Chocolate Milk male) and his first find!

For some reason he has a black nose, which is quite --uhh, incorrect (impossible) :D But pretty anyway!

Return to “Kennel”