German pointer dog

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: German pointer dog

Post by TheSheWolf »

QuickViper wrote:Excuse me, where I can read what exactly can do this dog in the game?
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87642 This should help :)
QuickViper

Post by QuickViper »

TheSheWolf wrote:
QuickViper wrote:Excuse me, where I can read what exactly can do this dog in the game?
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87642 This should help :)
Thanks! ;)
Kelfezond

Post by Kelfezond »

TheSheWolf wrote:
Kelfezond wrote:Took my pointer out today, I've had my scenthound for weeks now, from 1 to level 20 I've never managed to exhaust him. This pointer on the other hand was exhausted after 1 hour :( Anyone else finding this?
Mine has gone down to "Ok" after one track, which is--very worrying, especially considering how long it'll take to level them up as they only gain XP from an actual find.
Yeah it looks like until he gets better stamina we'll only be using him for a few tracking sessions per hunt. Real shame :(
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

no stamina problems here. Most waiting time is taken up with cool down between tracks.

Monroew

Post by Monroew »

Does anyone have pictures of the different coats? I'd really prefer to see them before purchasing one.
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Monroew wrote:Does anyone have pictures of the different coats? I'd really prefer to see them before purchasing one.
Here ya go
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87642
Monroew

Post by Monroew »

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it :)
Djehmli
Tracker

Post by Djehmli »

I get to have a representative of my girl in game <points to her avatar Pawshela> I am a very happy chippette.
Spoiler:

GoldenEagle1
Scout

Post by GoldenEagle1 »

can u devs confirm if u going to release another colors for German pointer ? how about the longhair german pointer

https://www.google.se/search?q=longhair ... 20&bih=898
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

I was pheasant hunting with my dog Calina yesterday.

Some things I noticed.

If you send the dog out to track and there is nothing nearby the dog will stay about 20 meters in front of you and keep sniffing around until it gets a 'hit'. While it's in this "searching" mode it will keep trying to stay in front of you... so if you are walking north then the dog stays 20m north of you... but if you turn to east and start walking that direction then the dog will also move to stay 20m ahead of you as you go east.

I wasn't aware of this in the start so I kept following the dog because I thought it was actually tracking something while it was really just in that "searching" mode. Ended up doing a big circle before I realized how it works.

When the dog is in this "searching" mode though I think that drains their stamina. So if you leave it on "searching" for a long time without getting hits it will tire. So what I did was just keep the dog on 'Follow' mode and use the pheasant caller to make pheasants sound off, and then send the dog out to track after I got a pheasant call. This way she never tired, but stayed mostly at "Ok" for a 4 hour run.

Another thing to note is also that your dog will go for the closest animal (of the type you sent it to track). I had visual on a male pheasant in the distance and sent the dog to track it just so the dog would get some practice, but instead the dog wandered off to the side towards a female pheasant which was hidden in the grass because that bird was closer than the male one.

But in a later situation this was a good thing because I was going towards the call from a male pheasant, sent the dog to go track it and the dog disappeared... I turn around and see the dog standing there in the pointing pose, and as I let my eyes wander in that direction... lo and behold... a sneaky male pheasant was laying there in the grass right behind me!

Overall I am extremely happy with the pointer. It certainly helped me find more birds than I would have if I was just relying on my own eyes, and find them quicker as well. The Pointer is waaaay more useful than the scent hound for sure (hopefully they'll improve on the scent hound) and if you go hunting with a friend where one brings a Pointer and the other brings a Retriever (at least for small game anyways) it would a really fun and efficient hunt for sure, where both players would feel like their dog is being useful.

I often found that having two retrievers on a small game hunt was a bit overkill... but pointer+retriever is a perfect match.

Return to “Kennel”