German pointer dog

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Knut
Outfitter

Re: German pointer dog

Post by Knut »

RidgeBack69 wrote: I agree the dog works well but still needs to be able to retrieve.
No protest here.
A pointer not being able to retrieve is just feeling weird.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

Ok, I am curious. Is this dog "worth" it? I typically can hunt pheasants pretty easily. They are easy to locate, etc.

Rabbits can be tougher though, and I havent found many traces of ptarmigan. European Rabbits are easy to find, just look for burrows and wait.

Does this dog just look for the tracking domes, or can it actively find stuff too?
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

It is worth it, if you enjoy this style of Huntington.
Shooting birds with a pointer is ingame a lot of fun, just for the feeling of it mimicking the real thing.

It's not that it makes it a ton easier. If you don't really find ptarmigans without a dog, you won't really with it, either.
You will need to bring the dog into the vicinity of the game and then he'll point out a single one for you. Yet the same issues of setting up properly for shooting (lanes) and risking to spook are still applying.

So don't buy the dog to make hunting easier, that'd be a programmed disappointment. But buy it for enjoying a real rewarding hunting style.
The anticipation that builds up from the dog having detected something to it pointing and then you flushing it is great.
Plus the graphical model and animations are stunning and you can't help but love your dog.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

Pointer is useless. Who was responsible for programming in the stupid cool-down? Obviously someone who's never bird hunted behind GSP in real life. 1 bird and then doggo has to take a breather? Give me a break.

However many years ago when pheasant was introduced into the game, my first thought was we need to have a pointer. Fast-forward a few years and we finally have one and it's damn near useless on pheasant. Dog gets out ahead of you, goes on point for 2-5 seconds, and the bird is gone before you get there. That's if it can even get on point at all. Pheasants now flee too much and their numbers seem to be fewer. Total waste of programming time and money.
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

Behavior of pheasants aside I must say that I find it useful to hunt some animals that accurately identifies even at considerable distances (I think if I remember 200 meters) the real problem in my opinion is the slowness with which it goes to the prey, it is a torment , a via crucis that take away any pleasure in using the dog and you risk turning all the time on your knees, should definitely speeded up the approach phase with a slower dog when you get near the prey but i already know that this correction will never...amen
IVAR_BONELESS

Post by IVAR_BONELESS »

Just got my pointer Rowdy to level 50 and wow ... no hesitation and I have sent it after Lynx and Bobcat and Fox and Deer from tree stand and once they call and i know what animal I call back and just watch my dog get closer to me and I know about where the animal will show up and how far out it is, its awesome!

Return to “Kennel”