German pointer dog

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Kelfezond

Re: German pointer dog

Post by Kelfezond »

xAncalagonx wrote:I wasn't aware of this in the start so I kept following the dog because I thought it was actually tracking something while it was really just in that "searching" mode. Ended up doing a big circle before I realized how it works.
Yeah my first time I did the exact same thing, ended up "following him" to the ocean and shouting "THERE ARE NO RABBITS IN THE OCEAN, DOG!"
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

:D :D :D

That's genuinely funny! Thanks for sharing those experiences.

Having hunted with pointers in real life before, I didn't even consider to follow the dog but expected him to search in front of my muzzle -that's how pointers are generally trained to roam, 20-40m ahead of the hunter.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

xAncalagonx wrote:I was pheasant hunting with my dog Calina yesterday.

Some things I noticed.

If you send the dog out to track and there is nothing nearby the dog will stay about 20 meters in front of you and keep sniffing around until it gets a 'hit'. While it's in this "searching" mode it will keep trying to stay in front of you... so if you are walking north then the dog stays 20m north of you... but if you turn to east and start walking that direction then the dog will also move to stay 20m ahead of you as you go east.

I wasn't aware of this in the start so I kept following the dog because I thought it was actually tracking something while it was really just in that "searching" mode. Ended up doing a big circle before I realized how it works.

When the dog is in this "searching" mode though I think that drains their stamina. So if you leave it on "searching" for a long time without getting hits it will tire. So what I did was just keep the dog on 'Follow' mode and use the pheasant caller to make pheasants sound off, and then send the dog out to track after I got a pheasant call. This way she never tired, but stayed mostly at "Ok" for a 4 hour run.
Thank you for posting this. I didn't understand this at first either and there's been complaints that the dog's stamina is draining too quickly. I realized that it -recovers- equally as fast, though, which confused me. Rather than using him to just search everywhere I'm waiting, now, until finding tracks or hearing calls, or spotting birds--which means he's staying in Refreshed 100% of the time. MUCH better way to utilize him, imo, though less perhaps useful for things like deer.

As a related levelling tip: if you have a goose setup on Hirschfelded, just bring your pointer once it is able to track Geese (level 5 or so? Or 3? I forget). If you have a full setup you don't even need the caller, just tab out and wait for the timer on your dog's tracking to run down. Every time the geese land you should have the "find Geese" available again. Use it, give the dog a treat when it points out the geese nearby, maybe shoot a goose, tab back out and wait again :lol:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I only played with the pointer for a short while the other day and got him to about level 7 without his stamina emptying (although he was at 150% when I stopped hunting). I never allowed him to roam very far in his "searching" mode so maybe that's why he never tired too quickly.

Just to build onto what others have suggested (wait for a bird call, or wait to find tracks before sending him searching), it may be a strategy to send the dog to search and if he doesn't almost instantly enter the "detected" mode just call him off right away. Walk another 50m, 100m, or whatever distance you want and send him out again. If he detects something, good. If not call him off again and move before trying again. Rinse and repeat. If the act of searching is what drains his energy so quickly and not just the number of commands you give him, then that strategy means the only time he'll be burning stamina is when he has actually detected an animal and is moving in for the point. I'm not sure if this would definitely work but it might be worth testing if it means getting more use out of the dog before he tires, at least while he's at a low level.
GoldenEagle1
Scout

Post by GoldenEagle1 »

the pointer is not working good , he need more range to find animal , when u give him an order to find a target and there is no animal near by ,he just run the way u are looking for that why people are disapointed as long u are looking to the same direction behind him if no target in range he keep the same direction if u are lucky and there is a target in the direction u look after him he detect it other then that he in not doing the proper jobb from the start, that why the dog start run toward the beach if u look that direction and u thing he is folowing something , i tried to look to other direction like left , right , backward after giving him the order ,and he keep running where i look , so that mean i lead the dog to an area and he is not leading mee unless there is a target in the area that i am looking for near by so he change the direction, he ís like a radar to just point a target where i lead him only . i dont want to guess or folow a dog that just taking big round , he must find an animal from far away from the start at a good range ,, make it at least 400m then he can go to the nearest target when giving order so we know he is running to a target at least not to where we just are looking ,
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

What you want is a hound. Or actually, an autopilot.

The pointer is supposed to work that way, both in real life as well as in game.
And it's fun that way -at least for me.

A hunter is supposed to work together with a dog. You give the general directive, the dog does the fine work. It's IMO implemented quite well.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Knut wrote:What you want is a hound. Or actually, an autopilot.

The pointer is supposed to work that way, both in real life as well as in game.
And it's fun that way -at least for me.

A hunter is supposed to work together with a dog. You give the general directive, the dog does the fine work. It's IMO implemented quite well.
I agree the dog works well but still needs to be able to retrieve.
Spoiler:
GoldenEagle1
Scout

Post by GoldenEagle1 »

he need more range to find animal at the start and the cool down is so anoying . another thing u cant give order to the pointer from inside the geese or duck blind can u fix it ? i thought to lvl him up this way but didnt work and when he get out the blind he spook the duck and geese quick , he should at least point at any nearest bird before they fly so we get some xp
another thing how this pointer work with coyote, deer , bobcat , why u didnt show that on stream with a higher lvl dog , u want to keep it secret !! u did show a fully retriver before !
A rabitt or pheasant can hide between buches etc and we can stalk them easy , but how it well work with deer or fox ,coyote , fox can spook easy , even coyote and deer , do the dog going to get that close to a fox ? or deer or coyote ? and if not it is going to bee hard to see the animal in the forest . some time we need to take the shot before even the dog point at that animal or before he hide behind trees , so we should get the xp from the moment the dog start to folow the target and not only when he point , cause if we shoot a fox before the dog point so the dog already have some xp, ,

u guys that u think he work good for pheasant and rabitt , yes he works but not in the best way , tell mee later ur exp with fox and coyote and deer good luck .
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

I for one have no intention to use this dog for deer, fox or coyote. But when the dog levels up it can go on point at 40 meters instead of 20 meters
Spoiler:
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Best0hunter wrote:he need more range to find animal at the start and the cool down is so anoying . another thing u cant give order to the pointer from inside the geese or duck blind can u fix it ? i thought to lvl him up this way but didnt work and when he get out the blind he spook the duck and geese quick , he should at least point at any nearest bird before they fly so we get some xp
He spooks geese, for you? Mine was walking right on top of them. They lowered animal spooking radius. You could try it while just standing away, in the woods--you don't need to be in the blind, really.

He only spooked them once for me--when he bugged out and ran directly into the flock. No idea why that happened. He also for some reason often goes off with the "find geese" command, then immediately stops and comes back, cancelling the search for no reason--but it incurs the long-ass cooldown :(

When searching and pointing, though, he doesn't spook the geese at all. Maybe it's just because geese are VERY oblivious? At least Canada geese? I don't wear any camo that would affect geese (I don't think) and I can kneel 15 yards away from them. I took these of my Pointer searching, then pointing, literally on top of the goose:

Of course, you need to start farther off, because of course EW didn't fix the issue with dog commands given while kneeling... :roll: You have to stand up first, that WILL spook them at 15 yards lmao.

Return to “Kennel”