Whitemire Ridge tracking.

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Mackie2112
Tracker

Whitemire Ridge tracking.

Post by Mackie2112 »

Started a few hunts in Whitemire and it seems the scent dog has issues keeping on track of the scent. He is level 13 and I do know I have to be behind him and update the blood trail for most maps however in Whitemire he seems to lose the scent altogether even with repeated updates. Is this just the difficulty of the map? Tracking is very easy to begin with there I was just trying to level him up. Thanks in advance.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Whitemire Ridge tracking.

Post by VonStratos »

At lvl 13 the dog will lose the track easily in any map, you will notice some consistency from lv19 on ahead, now dog level aside i don't recommend you try to level in Whiterime Ridge, that because due light effect track domes become hard to see after 7am so you can lost animals due that if you and the dog fail to track, if you need level the dog your best option is look for a reserve with hogs/wild boars and make bow hunting, aim for intestine shots, that cause more bleeding and medium to long tracking for a dog to track. if you have no bow use a shotgun with slugs or anything that don't drop the animal dead in the spot.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Mackie2112
Tracker

Post by Mackie2112 »

Thank you for you're response and I will take your advise. Appreciated! Good hunting.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Mackie2112 wrote:Started a few hunts in Whitemire and it seems the scent dog has issues keeping on track of the scent. He is level 13 and I do know I have to be behind him and update the blood trail for most maps however in Whitemire he seems to lose the scent altogether even with repeated updates. Is this just the difficulty of the map? Tracking is very easy to begin with there I was just trying to level him up. Thanks in advance.
(First, just so you know--it's White'rime,' Rime being a kind of smooth thick ice/frost but THAT ASIDE!)

This may well be related to what you're shooting. If an animal is shot, but won't die from the shot, the dog will stop tracking as soon as the blood stops regardless of level. It's a pretty terrible system, as IRL dogs don't need blood at all to track. Moose and Bison are larger game. Bison, in particular, unless you're taking them with VERY large caliber guns, won't die from ex. body shots; and smaller calibers won't penetrate to vitals at some ranges. As an example, if you take out the 7mm and try a 200m shot on a bison it's almost impossible regardless of placement to kill it with one shot. If you take out a .340 (so I'm told) or .45-70, though, it is probably going to die with decent placement.

With the former, if you try and track that shot, the dog will lose it almost at once.

Dall Sheep can also be a problem if you shoot them in higher areas where the dog can't actually pathfind.

If it's happening, however, with Sitka and with Dall Sheep in snowy areas, then yeah, it might just be the dog's level.

Hope this helps!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Yes its like TheSheWolf said, that's why the common way its shot to intestines, it cause long bleeding and guaranty the animal will die, lung shots cause the animal die to soon for a proper tracking and body shots can heal or stop bleeding, making the dog lose the track. Also arrows cause more bleeding than bullets (haven't proved that myself but i have read that) so shooting with bow at the intestines is the more common way to raise the scent hound, now i suggest pigs because they can be found in many reserves, but other bigger animals are good too, specially moose, since they are easy to get close for bow shots.

Now 2 thing:
1-The scent hound is very unreliable and takes a lot of patience and time to train it.
2-Due that, another task it can perform is to carry part of your equipment with a dog backpack, even if cant track at least can help you to carry more items, of course that only if you can afford the dog backpack and really need the extra space.

ImageImage
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

VonStratos wrote: Also arrows cause more bleeding than bullets (haven't proved that myself but i have read that) so shooting with bow at the intestines is the more common way to raise the scent hound,
To add to this--if you shoot an animal, any animal, at any body part, with an arrow, it will eventually die. You can hit a moose in the ear and it will still eventually bleed out from an arrow shot. Dogs will still lose the tracks sometimes, but sometimes not. Just wanted to clarify this too though.
Mackie2112
Tracker

Post by Mackie2112 »

Thank you all for the comments. I have learned that, yes indeed, when the animal stops bleeding the dog loses the rack and this was on Moose and Bison. Ive since adjusted my game for better shot placement. The tip about insteatine shot has been great for training. Go Knights Go!
Greywolf01
Tracker

Post by Greywolf01 »

Just got my pointer do i need to do anything for my dog because of the cold? Please let me know. thanks.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

No, the dog is not affected by environmental conditions, just the player, if you want train the pointer in WRR a good place is northwest of northern lodge, full of rabbits, then foxes and then sitka deer.

ImageImage

Return to “Kennel”