dog camo

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: dog camo

Post by stancomputerhunter »

VonStratos wrote:
Yeah its depend a lot on what animal we are hunting, when i go to bow hunting i have had Elks walking right down my treestand a lot of times and literally stomping my dog xD, while turkeys just come close but at 20 mts they look right to me in the eyes, show me the middle feather and run away. So i guess its depend on what camo are you using too,
Turkeys won't spook if you are in a TS, have the Army outfit on, and use scent eliminator. They will go to the decoys, prance around there for awhile and then walk to you because that's where the call came from. I've had up to 6 standing under the TS for several minutes. Eventually, they will start to walk away in order of arrival. Sometimes something else (Bobcat perhaps) spooks them, but it's not because of you.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Turkeys won't spook if you are in a TS, have the Army outfit on, and use scent eliminator.
Isn't the Army camo only for deer species or does it even matter as long as you're using decoys?
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Seifer wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote:Turkeys won't spook if you are in a TS, have the Army outfit on, and use scent eliminator.
Isn't the Army camo only for deer species or does it even matter as long as you're using decoys?
I use the Army camo exclusively where there are deer. WHI, LP, SC, RFF. Works good for Elk, coyote, pigs, black bears, bobcats too.

Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
Seifer wrote:
I use the Army camo exclusively where there are deer. WHI, LP, SC, RFF. Works good for Elk, coyote, pigs, black bears, bobcats too.
As far as camo is concerned is it even necessary? I was doing some hunting the other day in a cowboy hat, USA t shirt, blue jeans, basic black boots and gloves and was still being successful in harvesting animals.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Seifer wrote:
Seifer wrote:
As far as camo is concerned is it even necessary? I was doing some hunting the other day in a cowboy hat, USA t shirt, blue jeans, basic black boots and gloves and was still being successful in harvesting animals.
Depends...some people never use camo, some always do. I do because I own it and it looks cool. Try one of Radumas' outfits sometime, he doesn't seem to have any problems either. :lol: But I hear you, perception is everything. ;)

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Seifer wrote:

I got only the Monsignor and the Bone and Crockett, since i focus in moose, reds, elks, and pheasants, both works charm in deers species but turkeys and other are not so easy to fool with that(pheasant don't need camo), About what Seifer ask, its not always needed camo, but you need be more cautious how you walk and how you approach to the prey, and remember that higher scoring animals can spot you more early than low scoring usually, since they are experienced.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

VonStratos wrote:So, dog camo is useless? of course not, but its a situational item, personally i found the blazing orange camo (no camo at all) more practical because more than camo what i need is someting that allow me see my dog when its tracking far ahead in forest or other dense areas, and dog gps its like a little too much for me.
Another trick if you don't want to buy the dog gps is to tap the dog command panel button a few times (I believe it's the "V" key by default?) When the dog command panel is open, the dog is highlighted by a white outline on your screen no matter how far away it is and no matter if there's solid objects between you. Tapping the command panel button to open and close it rapidly causes that outline to flicker, making it pretty easy to spot your dog no matter where it is. I don't own the gps, but I can keep close tabs on my dog at all times this way, even when he's on a different track than me and out to render range.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

xOEDragonx wrote:
VonStratos wrote:So, dog camo is useless? of course not, but its a situational item, personally i found the blazing orange camo (no camo at all) more practical because more than camo what i need is someting that allow me see my dog when its tracking far ahead in forest or other dense areas, and dog gps its like a little too much for me.
Another trick if you don't want to buy the dog gps is to tap the dog command panel button a few times (I believe it's the "V" key by default?) When the dog command panel is open, the dog is highlighted by a white outline on your screen no matter how far away it is and no matter if there's solid objects between you. Tapping the command panel button to open and close it rapidly causes that outline to flicker, making it pretty easy to spot your dog no matter where it is. I don't own the gps, but I can keep close tabs on my dog at all times this way, even when he's on a different track than me and out to render range.

Now that's a very useful trick indeed, till now my only choice was give the "come back" command to my dog and resume the tracking from the last blood track, this practical trick will improve a lot my hunting, thanks. :)

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
ChiefFeathers

Post by ChiefFeathers »

My dog has spooked a bunch of animals as sometimes I don't have the time to tell him to laydown, just 5 minutes ago, there was a doe.. They're silly , first 40m then when I saw it again it was 20, so I went crawling and dog were the one to spook it.
I just looked at my dog and said.. Realy boy?.. As I then look at the doe run off in the distance.. Sigh -.-

Damn dog, it's not the first time lol, can be so annoying at times I just wanna dissmiss it or even wish I didn't bring it for the time being lol.
But I've been considering the camo indeed, but was also wondering how good it cud be.
Also, my dog is level 21.. Does the higher level dogs also lie down as you lie down?
Cause mine sit (eventualy) as I crouch.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

ChiefFeathers wrote:My dog has spooked a bunch of animals as sometimes I don't have the time to tell him to laydown, just 5 minutes ago, there was a doe.. They're silly , first 40m then when I saw it again it was 20, so I went crawling and dog were the one to spook it.
I just looked at my dog and said.. Realy boy?.. As I then look at the doe run off in the distance.. Sigh -.-

Damn dog, it's not the first time lol, can be so annoying at times I just wanna dissmiss it or even wish I didn't bring it for the time being lol.
But I've been considering the camo indeed, but was also wondering how good it cud be.
Also, my dog is level 21.. Does the higher level dogs also lie down as you lie down?
Cause mine sit (eventualy) as I crouch.
You have to command it to lay down....
Personal Bests...

Return to “Kennel”