Scenthound behaving weird and much worse at tracking since last update

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
sofiabovino

Re: Scenthound behaving weird and much worse at tracking since last update

Post by sofiabovino »

There have been plenty of times where the dog will give up on a track
Alderman

Post by Alderman »

Interesting question regarding the reserves.

Thinking of it, it really seems that I encounter mentioned tracking problems and not finding dead animals even if the dog should see it in the "newer" reserves, i.e. BRR, WRR, TGT and PIB.
nature9
Spotter

Post by nature9 »

I have done many coyote missions lately and my 21 level scent hound have been with me then. I'm mainly hunt in Whitehart and my dog has failed to track every single coyote that I have shot :o It fails all the time just before it sees the dead body :roll: Dog is also struggled in WRR and TGT when tracking artic fox and wolves.

Also I would like that the both dogs retriever and scent hound would move side of the hunter, not in the front of hunter. Also the retriever dogs animations is very bad when hunting pheasants and rabbits, because it runs like brainless idiot in front of the hunter side to side :roll:
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

I did a lot of testing yesterday with my scent hound. I hunted on a few different reserves with a few different calibers than I normally use. I was going for intestine shots only. If I got a body shot that was my own fault and of no fault of the dog for not tracking (dog wont track a body shot) I did have some of the problems that others have been reporting but it seems not nearly as severe as others have said. Yeah there were a couple of times where my dog stopped short of the animal and wouldn't track any further even though I was in sight of it. A couple times the dog stopped tracking (thinking because of the many other tracks my track passed through in a particular area and terrain issues) but was able to pick up the trail again. Once (or twice) on Settler Creeks my dog just refused to track. I would give the command and it appeared she understood but just stood there and wouldn't track at all no matter how many times I gave the command. I didn't have any problems with my dog spooking any animals. If you learn how (and when) to manipulate (control) your dog, the spooking issue can be avoided even with the short (75m) max stay distance. You and your dog can get fairly close to an animal without spooking it and that's what I do. When I give the command to stay I know I have 75m to stalk the animal. It's easy on the animals that have lures and all you have to do is sit and wait but I've also been successful with animals with no lures (black bear w/o baiting). Overall yesterdays testing was a success for me. Of all the animals that were successfully tracked (41 animals harvested yesterday) only twice did my dog fail to go all the way (but close enough for me, under 30m) I'll go so far as saying the the dog is fractured but not broken. For me there are more pros than cons and my dog (female dark coat) performs great imo. Gonna do some more testing today on some of the other reserves, we'll see how that goes.

Tested:
Whitehart Island
Loggers Point
Settler Creeks
Whiterime Ridge (life saver here)

Weapons:
.30-06 Stutzen Bolt Action Rifle
6.5x55 Bolt Action Rifle Panther
.303 British Bolt Action Rifle
.30-30 Lever Action Rifle Lone Star
10mm Semi-Automatic Pistol
Compound Bow "Parker Python"
Reverse Draw Crossbow Winter Camo

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention that I don't recall anyone complaining about is I noticed that the scent hound misses a lot of tracking domes. I'm not sure that anything can (or should) be done about that but the dog has to go through those domes to received xp points I believe. I like the way the dog tracks now. It seems to skip those unnecessary domes and tracks straight towards the animal. I thinks the points per dome needs to be higher to level up faster. Takes a very long time as it is and if you drop an animal in it's tracks, what is there to track? Just sayin ;)
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

Wow Seifer... nice work!! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I'd be curious to see what your results are on PB or BRR but that was a very fair assessment
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

My dog swam across this to track a water buffalo :) Spent most of the day on PB and my results were pretty much the same as before. As long as I scored a vital hit I didn't have much trouble tracking anything down except on the body shots which was my own fault and of no fault of my dog who is 10% shy of level 40.

Spoiler:

bk91604

Post by bk91604 »

Any update on this? Are there still issues with the Scent Hounds? Mine is level 12ish and im pretty impressed but have not gone past Whitehart Island and Timbergold Trails.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Body shots cause low bleeding, and my dog miss the track just like Seifer dog, maybe the animal got an aid pack or something, because then i track it and never again seems to bleed, but that happens with poorly made shot and as Seifer i put the blame on the shot not the dog for that, hits on organs usually end with my dog finding the animal, and the dog skip some domes and run straight to the animal like taking the shortest route possible too, i have not made serous checking but from my hunts where i made the dog tracking that seems to be the case.I think it may be because the skill from speed tracking its causing the dog at higher levels skip domes to find the animal faster, but if with that it skip exp points then we have a problem.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Something I like to do when tracking an animal is run after it (as opposed to walking) while tracking. I've noticed that my dog runs through more domes this way. What I do sometimes when I feel like leveling my dog is body shot something with a bow and just run after it. Works well with moose, something big that's not going to go down very quickly.
Spoiler:

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

bk91604 wrote:Any update on this? Are there still issues with the Scent Hounds? Mine is level 12ish and im pretty impressed but have not gone past Whitehart Island and Timbergold Trails.
Mine seems to be behaving relatively normally (only sometimes losing scents) as long as I don't a. cross water at all or b. set foot in Piccabean. I got fed up enough that I stopped hunting the latter.

Return to “Kennel”