Scenthound behaving weird and much worse at tracking since last update

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
WolfLQ
Tracker

Scenthound behaving weird and much worse at tracking since last update

Post by WolfLQ »

My scenthound is around level 13, I think. I take him out often to Whiterime to shoot moose with arrows (body shots) to train him better. Before, he was pretty good... maybe only lost 1 in 5 trails (with arrows, with rifles even with vital shots he failed more often). But since the update he's followed through on only one or two trails. All the animals he's failing on have been shot with crossbows. He even lost a couple of lung-shot feral hogs I hit with a crossbow today. Sometimes he just stands around with the "?" and sometimes he takes off in the opposite direction and will run towards the edge of my GPS map, and then stand there for awhile before getting the "?" message.

Today on Bushranger's he was standing around barking at nothing too, when we weren't even on a trail and had just started the game so there weren't any dead animals. There weren't any other animals around either. I kept walking and he actually stayed there, baying. He only came to me when I was quite far from him and he was almost out of render distance.

Anyone else having more trouble than usual since the last update? :?

Edit: Should add. He is a male dark coat. And I have noticed this more on Bushrangers and Picabeen if that matters.
Last edited by WolfLQ on January 20th, 2018, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Re: Scenthound behaving weird and much worse at tracking since last update

Post by Buckkiller4 »

Yeah my scent hound has been doing those too, I thought that it was just me.
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

My scent hound is working just fine (Level 39). I use it all the time. Trying to complete the mission "Illegally Blonde" now and my hound is tracking all the black bears I'm shooting with bows and rifles even across rivers. My scent hound is a female dark coat.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

I don't know... mine is level 12 and usually pretty reliable (provided it's an up-close vitals shot with an arrow) but it has only successfully tracked one animal since the last update. Just one. And I only use it for tracking animals hit with crossbows. It's especially bad on PB and BRR
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Yes, while there has always been a little bit of a hit and miss with the dogs tracking, something significant happened right around the same time as the release of PB. I've always been a strong advocate for the dogs in the game despite their many flaws, but after the experiences I've been having for the last month, I don't believe I can say that any longer. Even just last night, I was hunting with one of my scenthounds on Logger's Point. Mostly cat hunting, so shooting everything else with the longbow. There were 6 different animals I sent my dog to track, 5 were vital hits (3 lung) and 1 was body. My dog could not follow through on a single track, not even once, even after sending it on the same trail multiple times (from different blood tracks, not even the same track each time). Even when I followed the tracks myself and found the animals, I would send the dog again only to have it stand meters from the dead animal and give me the ? look. I have never had this kind of problem with the dogs in the last year, and they accompany me on almost every hunt. There have been plenty of times where the dog will give up on a track, probably to give the player an impression that the tracking dog is not OP, but sending it on the track a second or third time almost always proved successful. Since the PB release, I've only had a handful of successful tracks at all. Even with lung shot animals. Even when the dead animal is on the screen only 50 meters away. It's worth noting whatever the issue is doesn't appear to be level related, as my level 33ish and level 10ish dogs are experiencing the exact same issues. It's also not weapon specific, as this issue has been consistent despite the variety of weapons I've used over the last month.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

I've posted elsewhere--but having the same issue, with a female light coat.
Alderman

Post by Alderman »

Exact the same issue has been mentioned here a few days ago:
http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=229&t=85629

Seemingly there is hardly any difference between a lvl 13 and lvl 33, as other users also reported.
For the record: it's a dark coat male who is seeing to it that the few rest hairs on my head become increasingly more grey recently :P
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

This is specifically since the last update though. I was having trouble before too here and there but it's way worse now. He still has yet to follow through on more than one trail and I only use him for crossbow hunts. Before, he still failed frequently, but after the update he's at a failure rate of almost 100%, specifically on BRR and PB.
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Just out of curiosity, what maps are we having the most problems with the dogs on? I haven't done a whole helluva lot of hunting on PB. When PB was first released I remember the first Rusa I shot. My hound had a hard time tracking it. There where blood tracks all over the place like buckets of blood were spilled and my dog didn't know what to do. When I hunt on any other map my dog does great. Tracks all vitally wounded animals with no problems across all terrain. The steep rocky hill sides cause some problems sometimes but that's about it. Guess maybe this weekend I will do some testing to see what I find. I do a lot of bow hunting and my dog has no problem tracking those kills. Maybe I'll try some different calibers. I usually run w/ my .300 composite and parker python.
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

Seifer wrote:Just out of curiosity, what maps are we having the most problems with the dogs on? I haven't done a whole helluva lot of hunting on PB. When PB was first released I remember the first Rusa I shot. My hound had a hard time tracking it. There where blood tracks all over the place like buckets of blood were spilled and my dog didn't know what to do. When I hunt on any other map my dog does great. Tracks all vitally wounded animals with no problems across all terrain. The steep rocky hill sides cause some problems sometimes but that's about it. Guess maybe this weekend I will do some testing to see what I find. I do a lot of bow hunting and my dog has no problem tracking those kills. Maybe I'll try some different calibers. I usually run w/ my .300 composite and parker python.
That would be fantastic since you seem to have better luck in general with yours. After looking at other boards it seems PB and BRR are the ones causing the most problems with dogs and some are reporting Logger's Point issues too.

I did some research just now from my own logs. Only counting animals hit with the ten-point crossbow (dogs seem best at tracking arrow hits). I am having loads of trouble with the .300 and .340 but for now just counting arrows:

BUSHRANGER'S RUN
Feral Hog, lung: Failed
Red Kangaroo, body: Failed
Feral Goat, ??? (never recovered): Failed
Red Kangaroo, ??? (never recovered): Failed

PICCABEEN BAY
Water Buffalo, lung: Failed
Banteng, lung: Failed
Banteng, ??? (never recovered): Failed
Banteng, ??? (never recovered): Failed

LOGGER'S POINT
Feral Hog, lung: Success
Mule Deer, intestines: Failed
Mule Deer, body: Success
Bobcat, ??? (never recovered): Failed
Feral Hog, ??? (never recovered): Failed

HIRSCHFELDEN
Red Deer, lung: Success
Red Deer, intestines: Success
Red Deer, ??? (never recovered): Failed
Red Fox, intestines: Success

Return to “Kennel”