scent hound and wolves

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
greylaghunter
Scout

scent hound and wolves

Post by greylaghunter »

if your scent hound is sitting at the bottom of the tree that your stand is placed will it scare of the wolves and elk you call in?
Baiit

Re: scent hound and wolves

Post by Baiit »

As soon as you say the command "stay" your scent hound will activate it's cloaking device and become a dog of prey.
It will not spook animals in the stay position. Animals will walk right over top of your pooch.

mikeman1
Scout

Post by mikeman1 »

Just remember that every time you shoot you will have to re-do the Stay command. Otherwise he'll start wandering and spooking everything again.
Code: Select all

Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Baiit wrote:As soon as you say the command "stay" your scent hound will activate it's cloaking device and become a dog of prey.
It will not spook animals in the stay position. Animals will walk right over top of your pooch.
I believe turkeys are an exception. Turkeys always spook from further away when I got the scent dog with me.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

But as to the original question: I don't think so if you give the stay command you should be fine (except for turkeys).
I have used a tripod with the scent dog a lot lately and it never spooked wolves or elk.
Baiit

Post by Baiit »

I just did some tests with turkeys. I put my hound in "stay" 45 meters away from my treestand. The turkeys walked right beside my hound on their way to me.
However, they spook at 20 meters. Without the hound they come right in. Thank you for the info Prinz.

baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Prinz1989 wrote:
Baiit wrote:As soon as you say the command "stay" your scent hound will activate it's cloaking device and become a dog of prey.
I believe turkeys are an exception. Turkeys always spook from further away when I got the scent dog with me.
turkeys are an exception to anything related with senses
they and foxes have a 6th sense!
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!

Return to “Kennel”