So you think theHunter is too easy

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Baiit

So you think theHunter is too easy

Post by Baiit »

Why not buy a scent hound.
You think your a pretty good at tracking. Well think again. Following a scent hound will make your tracking time twice as long.
If your lucky the hound will probably start running after a stray and lead you halfway across the map.

Ever been to Timbergold trails? Lot's of tall grass there. Going prone for the perfect shot is a rarity there, but can be done.
Not when you own a scent hound. You see a trophy in the distance, you find that little clearing in the tall grass and go prone.
You look through your rifle sight and what do you see? You see a trophy shot of your hounds face, or better yet their butt.
Oh, the language I have used when this had happened to me.

So you think taking down a charging grizzly is no problem. Take your trusty scent hound along.
It will get in your way just enough so your not able to get a shot off. Luckily your best friend will leave just enough room
for that charging grizzly to get through to you.

All this, and so much more, can be yours for a mere 999emS :lol:

EndPin
Scout

Re: So you think theHunter is too easy

Post by EndPin »

I did a test. shot a feral hog in Bushrangers Run (body shot). I put my scent dog on the trail and I ran all the way to see who would get to the hog first. Billy_Joe won. I gave myself an advantage, seeing the hog ran in a straight line so all I had to do is keep going in one direction. She didn't win by much but she did reach the hog before I did. I also tracked down another hog (lung shot) before I put her on the test trail. (maybe that helped also, don't know) If I had tried this on a bear, it would have taken me a lot longer because of the twists and turns that a wounded bear would take.

Baiit

Post by Baiit »

Hank just recently turned 30. I now find him invaluable when tracking in Timbergold trails. That long grass during the daytime is a nightmare for me.
He has gotten me out of quite a few binds now. He still gets in my way all the time but I guess I can live that.

Kniven
Tracker

Post by Kniven »

Posted this in the Tip of the week recently:

A tip for hosts and SP. Bring a tent for "rapid adaptation". Especially handy when you want to use your dog for tracking but don't want the bugger close during the actual hunt. Pop a tent, take out the dog and dismantle. Reverse after harvest. Oh don't forget the dog treats!

Also:
Bong (the dog) is now 14 and improving. When I have fired at two animals I find it useful to let the dog take one track while I myself track the other, depending on species and hit area. I will usually take the faster track (not body hit) while Bong can sniff around for the gnarly body hit until I hook up.

Return to “Kennel”