Retriever sale

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Retriever sale

Post by Prinz1989 »

Hello,
seeing that the retrievers are on sale I was wondering if I should buy one.
I have a scent dog and like it. I like ptarmigan hunting but sometimes have a hard time to find the small birds after shooting them down. Will a retriever be a real help with this?

How to the retrievers behave after the latest tweaks?
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Re: Retriever sale

Post by FR_Bugs »

yes, they help for ptarmigans, always take my dog when i hunt them. Most level your dog have, more easily he found the dead birds.

PS : Very useful for ducks, geese, rabbit and pheasant too
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

When goose hunting I don't think they are really necessary. It's not a big deal to find the downed geese and when running around while picking them up you are usually even faster than the dog. It's a whole different thing with ducks imo. Due to the foliage on RB I often have a hard time seeing (and finding) all the ducks, so the dog is a big help. It might be the same for ptarmigans, I can't say since I haven't hunted them too often. It also finds the occasional dead rabbit hidden inside the burrow (though going prone also works in this case if you know where to look).

In my opinion the retriever does what it is supposed to do. Not a dog to take with you when stalking deer, but good for waterfowling or finding dead small game that you lost sight of. Of course it is also great for immersion, especially if you love dogs.
Image Image Image
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

Tanngnjostr wrote:When goose hunting I don't think they are really necessary. It's not a big deal to find the downed geese and when running around while picking them up you are usually even faster than the dog.
Yes you're right but when you shoot a goose at 200m+ the dog help :)
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

I really like retriever dog. One of the reasons that I don't like hunt Ptarmigans is finding them after I shot them in the distance!
And one time I was hunting ducks with Marc(Tanngnjostr :D ), and I shot a duck with plinkington at +150 meters! And Marc's dog find that duck easily! I'll never find it if that dog wasn't there! :lol:
Season Stats
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

FR_Bugs wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:When goose hunting I don't think they are really necessary. It's not a big deal to find the downed geese and when running around while picking them up you are usually even faster than the dog.
Yes you're right but when you shoot a goose at 200m+ the dog help :)
I don't shoot geese at 200m+. Tried it once, fired 50 rounds in one minute, not a single hit, decided it is not for me. My Plinker is for rabbits or gobblers! ;)
But of course you have a good point there...
HOSSEIN.D wrote:I really like retriever dog. One of the reasons that I don't like hunt Ptarmigans is finding them after I shot them in the distance!
And one time I was hunting ducks with Marc(Tanngnjostr :D ), and I shot a duck with plinkington at +150 meters! And Marc's dog find that duck easily! I'll never find it if that dog wasn't there! :lol:
Good Geraldine! I'll send her your regards and give her an extra treat tonight. :)
Image Image Image
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Thanks for the answers guys.
It seems the dogs have good range then.
I'll probably buy one.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Imho it is 10x more useful than the scent hound.
Spoiler:
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Saw the sale today, and looked at the prices. Wow! Also, never knew there were so many colors now. I would not have bought a yellow if I knew there was going to be a white one. When did they announce that?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

The fox red labrador was added not too long after the release of the retriever (maybe two or three months later?), the white one was added around the time that WRR was released iirc. Maybe you missed it with all the WRR bug disaster. ;)

EDIT: I checked and found it (because I was curious myself):
Labrador was introduced in June 2015, the fox red variation with the GU of July 16th, the white variation with the GU of November 18th.
Image Image Image

Return to “Kennel”