scent hounds are usless

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
User avatar
TheSheWolf
Hunter
Posts: 647
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby TheSheWolf » September 7th, 2017, 7:35 pm

mapache01 wrote:Useless AGREE!! 100% Seems like leveling up, they instead of improve the tracking lvl they go more stupid , my Scent hound it's now at lvl 26 and since lvl 25 they SIT NEXT TO TROPHY or Keep walking in circles without SEEING the corpse, my friends Dog it's at lvl 42 and same!!


Out of interest, is this when you're kneeling? I've found that if I'm in a crouch (stealthy) my dog will run back to me or circle instead of barking. I assumed it was meant to be to prevent other animals from spooking, even though barking doesn't seem to spook.
User avatar
mapache01
Outfitter
Posts: 1644
Joined: November 22nd, 2012, 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby mapache01 » September 7th, 2017, 9:30 pm

TheSheWolf wrote:
mapache01 wrote:Useless AGREE!! 100% Seems like leveling up, they instead of improve the tracking lvl they go more stupid , my Scent hound it's now at lvl 26 and since lvl 25 they SIT NEXT TO TROPHY or Keep walking in circles without SEEING the corpse, my friends Dog it's at lvl 42 and same!!


Out of interest, is this when you're kneeling? I've found that if I'm in a crouch (stealthy) my dog will run back to me or circle instead of barking. I assumed it was meant to be to prevent other animals from spooking, even though barking doesn't seem to spook.


No, sometimes walking other times running behind also tracking and I spot the corpse and Dog is just sit near trophy or just around but he never FOUND the corpse, when I write around it's like 5-10mts around he still SEARCHING.

Another thing I hate now that you mention it's when you are crouch position and you order him to stay previously 'cus you're are approaching/stalking the trophy then suddenly the Dog show up behind you, pass you and walk in front of you and BYE BYE TROPHY or you cannot shot 'cus he's at your sides and in front.
User avatar
Hawkeye
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3654
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 12:49 pm
Location: Springdale, AR

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby Hawkeye » September 7th, 2017, 10:20 pm

mapache01 wrote:
Another thing I hate now that you mention it's when you are crouch position and you order him to stay previously 'cus you're are approaching/stalking the trophy then suddenly the Dog show up behind you, pass you and walk in front of you and BYE BYE TROPHY or you cannot shot 'cus he's at your sides and in front.


This is by design. If you move beyond a certain range of your dog, he gets up & comes back toward you. I think that distance is around 80m.
User avatar
mapache01
Outfitter
Posts: 1644
Joined: November 22nd, 2012, 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby mapache01 » September 7th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
mapache01 wrote:
Another thing I hate now that you mention it's when you are crouch position and you order him to stay previously 'cus you're are approaching/stalking the trophy then suddenly the Dog show up behind you, pass you and walk in front of you and BYE BYE TROPHY or you cannot shot 'cus he's at your sides and in front.


This is by design. If you move beyond a certain range of your dog, he gets up & comes back toward you. I think that distance is around 80m.


It's ok he comes back, but why he has to run! If you're crouch or prone position, that's bad design, he should back/approach to you in the same stealthy/crouch and on upper levels this is worst, believe me I seen it with friends dog.
User avatar
Hawkeye
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3654
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 12:49 pm
Location: Springdale, AR

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby Hawkeye » September 7th, 2017, 10:49 pm

mapache01 wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
mapache01 wrote:
Another thing I hate now that you mention it's when you are crouch position and you order him to stay previously 'cus you're are approaching/stalking the trophy then suddenly the Dog show up behind you, pass you and walk in front of you and BYE BYE TROPHY or you cannot shot 'cus he's at your sides and in front.


This is by design. If you move beyond a certain range of your dog, he gets up & comes back toward you. I think that distance is around 80m.


It's ok he comes back, but why he has to run! If you're crouch or prone position, that's bad design, he should back/approach to you in the same stealthy/crouch and on upper levels this is worst, believe me I seen it with friends dog.


In my experience, my hound ALWAYS has copied my stance when he gets back up. In fact, if I know there's not an animal around and I don't want to wait long, I have to stand up for him to run to me. If I'm in crouch or prone, he takes forever because he sneaks.
User avatar
caledonianblues
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9193
Joined: September 27th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby caledonianblues » September 8th, 2017, 3:36 am

Hawkeye wrote:In my experience, my hound ALWAYS has copied my stance when he gets back up. In fact, if I know there's not an animal around and I don't want to wait long, I have to stand up for him to run to me. If I'm in crouch or prone, he takes forever because he sneaks.

The dogs should always copy your stance (and only ever run when you are completely upright). Otherwise it's a bug and needs to be reported.
UHC Apps | UHC Stats | My PC Specs
Host your own competition, or get your geek on with stats.
User avatar
Prinz1989
Hunter
Posts: 748
Joined: November 1st, 2015, 7:26 am

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby Prinz1989 » September 8th, 2017, 3:43 am

caledonianblues wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:In my experience, my hound ALWAYS has copied my stance when he gets back up. In fact, if I know there's not an animal around and I don't want to wait long, I have to stand up for him to run to me. If I'm in crouch or prone, he takes forever because he sneaks.

The dogs should always copy your stance (and only ever run when you are completely upright). Otherwise it's a bug and needs to be reported.


Well they don't follow your stance when they are on a track. But I guess that is by design.
User avatar
mapache01
Outfitter
Posts: 1644
Joined: November 22nd, 2012, 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby mapache01 » September 8th, 2017, 9:59 am

caledonianblues wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:In my experience, my hound ALWAYS has copied my stance when he gets back up. In fact, if I know there's not an animal around and I don't want to wait long, I have to stand up for him to run to me. If I'm in crouch or prone, he takes forever because he sneaks.

The dogs should always copy your stance (and only ever run when you are completely upright). Otherwise it's a bug and needs to be reported.


I disagree, not always, happened to me several times on Bushranger stalking Goats and Pigs, this behavior occurs when you reach the distance between you and dog for him to follow you, I think is something like dog "resets" your stance when the distance reach to follow, Dog start to run to you even if you're prone or crouch and when reaches you Dog pass you and roams in front/sides so you have to move backwards to call him and order to stay so you can have again a clear are in front to shot, if Dog is 1-2mts ahead of you you cannot shot, lost several trophies on this behavior. The only way I avoid this or at least compensate is buying the dog gps and monitor on HM when he start to move so you can start to send sit/stay command and go to prone/crouch for him to copy again your stance.
User avatar
Hawkeye
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3654
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 12:49 pm
Location: Springdale, AR

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby Hawkeye » September 8th, 2017, 11:59 am

mapache01 wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:In my experience, my hound ALWAYS has copied my stance when he gets back up. In fact, if I know there's not an animal around and I don't want to wait long, I have to stand up for him to run to me. If I'm in crouch or prone, he takes forever because he sneaks.

The dogs should always copy your stance (and only ever run when you are completely upright). Otherwise it's a bug and needs to be reported.


I disagree, not always, happened to me several times on Bushranger stalking Goats and Pigs, this behavior occurs when you reach the distance between you and dog for him to follow you, I think is something like dog "resets" your stance when the distance reach to follow, Dog start to run to you even if you're prone or crouch and when reaches you Dog pass you and roams in front/sides so you have to move backwards to call him and order to stay so you can have again a clear are in front to shot, if Dog is 1-2mts ahead of you you cannot shot, lost several trophies on this behavior. The only way I avoid this or at least compensate is buying the dog gps and monitor on HM when he start to move so you can start to send sit/stay command and go to prone/crouch for him to copy again your stance.


I would like to see a video of this. I've used the scent hound almost every hunt since I got him on release day, and have never, ever seen him not copy my stance when he gets up to come back within my range.
User avatar
TheSheWolf
Hunter
Posts: 647
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: scent hounds are usless

Postby TheSheWolf » September 8th, 2017, 12:31 pm

If the dog isn't copying your stance try leaving it and reentering it. A lot of times my dog seems to "forget" what stance I'm in, but if I stand then crouch again she'll immediately drop back down. She does not, however, EVER track at anything but a full run.

Return to “Kennel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest