scent hounds are usless

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Eva999
Spotter

Re: scent hounds are usless

Post by Eva999 »

mapache01 wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:If the dog isn't copying your stance try leaving it and reentering it. A lot of times my dog seems to "forget" what stance I'm in, but if I stand then crouch again she'll immediately drop back down. She does not, however, EVER track at anything but a full run.
You nail it!! that's for sure what's happened, since I have to monitor on HM when Dog raise and start to walk/run behind me when the rendering distance it's achieved, and that's exactly why I HAVE TO BUY the GPS, without that impossible to tell when Dog run/walk to you and Bye bye trophy, but sometimes I'm so focus on spotting/ranging/stalking i forgot I leave the Dog behind (stay command) and dog just surprise me in front of binocs/spotter until is to late.
Always remember to park the mutt before starting a stalk or calling in an animal, preferably in a depression or behind a rock where he won't be seen. One advantage to ground blinds over tree stands is that you can have him join you inside for complete masking.
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

Oswald74 wrote:My cat hates the dog noises that comes from the different speakers in my 5.1 setup.

MfG L.E. Image
How does Kitty respond to the bobcat noises?
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

nachthexe wrote:It would be nice if EW would increase the dog treat boost because I have less opportunity to reward him then I have with the retriever, whom I can reward after every carry or blind entering.
I believe you can reward him after every successfully executed command, even if it's only "sit" or "stay."
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

abslayer wrote:Info on dog states
The second scenario is that the tracked animal just got brushed by a projectile, bled for a few minutes then the bleeding stopped. In this case the dog cannot continue the tracking.
That is where hunters have problem tracking without dog SO what good is the dog if it has same problems ????
1. Once they're levelled up, they can track hoofprints instead of just blood. There's even a specific level for it. Two pairs of eyes (plus a nose) are always better than one.

2. With the optional dog backpack, they can carry enough stuff to make room for a blind or tree stand in your kit. Useful if (like me) you're the kind who loads up so much kit that your backpack whimpers when it sees you approach.
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

TheSheWolf wrote:
The second scenario is that the tracked animal just got brushed by a projectile, bled for a few minutes then the bleeding stopped. In this case the dog cannot continue the tracking.
That is where hunters have problem tracking without dog SO what good is the dog if it has same problems ????
Late response, but it means if the animal isn't going to die. If you want to find an animal that ran for awhile and then died, or is dying, the dog can find it. If the animal stops and is grazing or calling, the dog will run to it, then say ? and run back to you. With the weapons I hunt with, at least (7mm bullpup + heavy recurve bow), if I hit an animal it IS going to die eventually no matter where I hit it, even if it wanders around for awhile, so the dog never loses the track--not for this reason, at least.
I've had several cases where the dog has found the still-living animal and flushed it out into the clear, providing an opportunity for a second shot. If the animal doesn't drop right there, he picks up the trail again. If it does, he starts baying over the body just as if he had found it dead to begin with. On the other hand, I've had him successfully follow a trail to its conclusion and yet not see the dead animal at the end. But tracking is definitely easier with him than without him.
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

mapache01 wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
mapache01 wrote:
Another thing I hate now that you mention it's when you are crouch position and you order him to stay previously 'cus you're are approaching/stalking the trophy then suddenly the Dog show up behind you, pass you and walk in front of you and BYE BYE TROPHY or you cannot shot 'cus he's at your sides and in front.
This is by design. If you move beyond a certain range of your dog, he gets up & comes back toward you. I think that distance is around 80m.
It's ok he comes back, but why he has to run! If you're crouch or prone position, that's bad design, he should back/approach to you in the same stealthy/crouch and on upper levels this is worst, believe me I seen it with friends dog.
Depending on his level, he will copy your stance, even when you go outside of "stay" range. On the few occasions he doesn't, simply stand up for an instant and then crouch again. That should put his stance back in order.

I wish, though, that you could order him to stay from further away.
Eva999
Spotter

Post by Eva999 »

TreeKiwi wrote:I leave the dog behind most the time. He's a good pack horse now for the very seldom time I need 3 or 4 weapons on me (missions etc). He gets in the way all the time and my best tip is if you think there is an animal close. Get him to stay and go ahead alone. I can find the tracks 99% of the time myself now. So like I stated earlier I think they are probably good for beginners as that's when tracking gets a little confusing. But the dog might just irritate the hell out of the new players as well haha

TK

P.s the retriever is actually very good... apart from the blind problems it has sometimes. It's also actually more well behaved for some reason. I took it out to use on some chicken parmigiana the other day and he stayed with me while I harvested some Ibex... now that's saying something!
The retriever is better behaved than the scent hound? Quite the reverse, in my experience. Sherlock is staid and stoic, but Ladybird is a dynamo who tears all over the place, panting constantly. And she's at level 31, whereas Sherlock is only 21.
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

Eva999 wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:
Late response, but it means if the animal isn't going to die. If you want to find an animal that ran for awhile and then died, or is dying, the dog can find it. If the animal stops and is grazing or calling, the dog will run to it, then say ? and run back to you. With the weapons I hunt with, at least (7mm bullpup + heavy recurve bow), if I hit an animal it IS going to die eventually no matter where I hit it, even if it wanders around for awhile, so the dog never loses the track--not for this reason, at least.
I've had several cases where the dog has found the still-living animal and flushed it out into the clear, providing an opportunity for a second shot. If the animal doesn't drop right there, he picks up the trail again. If it does, he starts baying over the body just as if he had found it dead to begin with. On the other hand, I've had him successfully follow a trail to its conclusion and yet not see the dead animal at the end. But tracking is definitely easier with him than without him.
I had this happen to me yesterday. It was great and I got my PB bobcat that way. Pretty funny to watch him chasing the cat all over the beach and I got a second shot in. :D
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Eva999 wrote:Always remember to park the mutt before starting a stalk or calling in an animal, preferably in a depression or behind a rock where he won't be seen. One advantage to ground blinds over tree stands is that you can have him join you inside for complete masking.
If he's on stay, he's "completely" masked anyway. Just put him on stay under the stand; animals can walk right over him, step on him, etc, it will not be a problem. They are "invisible" and have no scent etc when on "stay." :)

I often get animals stuck walking against my dog for a moment, then over her; they just cannot see them. It's when it stands back up that it becomes a problem.

Return to “Kennel”