I'm afraid of the new dog skins

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
DoctorStarbuck

I'm afraid of the new dog skins

Post by DoctorStarbuck »

I have a Scent Hound. Bought it around 20 days ago and i'm loving it. Sure there are thing i don't like, but overall it's great. Bu i'm afraid... i saw two weeks ago that the Retriever has new skins, and i got excited cos i want new skins for Scent... but i don't want to buy a new dog, i don't want to trade this one.

So... i think it would be great if we could "change skin" just once using a little of ems or a lot of gms. Just so people like me, who bought the Scent while there was just 2 Skins available, don't "need" to buy another dog just cos now there are better skins.
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Re: I'm afraid of the new dog skins

Post by Cartoon Head »

A dog is for life not just for Christmas.

You can't go around dyeing your dogs hair, that is animal cruelty.
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

I once had a Wire Hair Fox Terrier with a green mohawk, she didn't seem to mind.
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

Exanimis wrote:I once had a Wire Hair Fox Terrier with a green mohawk, she didn't seem to mind.
do you have a picture? it sounds cool :)
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

unfortunatly mate your'e now part of the thehunter system and will suffer from the "new skin crysis" across the entire game not just the dogs. Everything i buy is a question of do i hold out for a better skin that could be months years or never comming?, or do i buy a new toy and hope a sick reskin doesent appear next week. regardless you will always make the wrong decision. trust me.
DoctorStarbuck

Post by DoctorStarbuck »

L3M182 wrote:unfortunatly mate your'e now part of the thehunter system and will suffer from the "new skin crysis" across the entire game not just the dogs. Everything i buy is a question of do i hold out for a better skin that could be months years or never comming?, or do i buy a new toy and hope a sick reskin doesent appear next week. regardless you will always make the wrong decision. trust me.
I hate it, really. It's not jus the fact that from the license to almost every item (In the end, every item, since gms isn't infinite) cost money. It's the fact that the game do not have trade neither. I've spent around 120 "my currency" in this game, and i sold a few itens in steam to spend 35 more, which gives a total of 155 "my currency". A PS4 game is around 200~230 in my currency. And I don't have everything i should have, like a full set of clothes, nor all the callers, nor a decent Shotgun, nor anything that remotely remind a hunt setup. It's overwhelming the amount of money one has to spend to have a few useful things in this game.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

DoctorStarbuck wrote:I hate it, really. It's not jus the fact that from the license to almost every item (In the end, every item, since gms isn't infinite) cost money. It's the fact that the game do not have trade neither. I've spent around 120 "my currency" in this game, and i sold a few itens in steam to spend 35 more, which gives a total of 155 "my currency". A PS4 game is around 200~230 in my currency. And I don't have everything i should have, like a full set of clothes, nor all the callers, nor a decent Shotgun, nor anything that remotely remind a hunt setup. It's overwhelming the amount of money one has to spend to have a few useful things in this game.
It's definitely not a cheap game, especially when you start to buy items like waterfowling equipment, treestands, tents, blinds and so on, plus various sets of clothing and a decent collection of weapons. However, comparing theHunter to a PS4 game is like comparing apples to oranges. There are players who play theHunter every single day for hours, and have done so for upwards of 7 or 8 years. That means for some people, it offers incredible longevity and value for money. The game is in constant development, and that costs money. If everyone paid a one-off fee equivalent to the cost of a PS4 game, and not a penny more, Expansive Worlds would probably not have been able to sustain the ongoing development work. The game may even have disappeared a long time ago.

I'm not saying you're wrong to be frustrated at the cost of the game. I'm just saying it's not fair to say you get more value from a PS4 game. If you do, then theHunter is probably not the game for you. Bear in mind also that not all items are needed to enjoy the game. One set of clothing, a shotgun, a rifle, a bow and maybe a few other bits of equipment here and there and you can enjoy the full experience of the game (with the possible exception of waterfowling which you can still enjoy by playing in multiplayer with other hosts who have the right equipment).
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

Actually about a month ago i thought this game is so expensive. Maybe it is, but not all the time.
For the equipments and weapons you only pay it once and you have it always.
After that you just need to pay for membership. So, 12 month membership is 34.99 USD. About 2.9 USD per month! :)
Anyway i don't have membership about a week ago. Thanks to my friends in theHunter. :)
I couldn't buy membership because of trade sanction in my country! If i could buy a membership easily of course i'll buy that about 2 years ago. About 2 years ago i collect my money and went to buy TrailRunner membership and i saw i can't buy anything in theHunter. Believe me, it is worth to pay for this game if you like hunting...
This game is the only game that never get boring for me.
Season Stats
Spoiler:
DoctorStarbuck

Post by DoctorStarbuck »

caledonianblues wrote:
DoctorStarbuck wrote:I hate it, really. It's not jus the fact that from the license to almost every item (In the end, every item, since gms isn't infinite) cost money. It's the fact that the game do not have trade neither. I've spent around 120 "my currency" in this game, and i sold a few itens in steam to spend 35 more, which gives a total of 155 "my currency". A PS4 game is around 200~230 in my currency. And I don't have everything i should have, like a full set of clothes, nor all the callers, nor a decent Shotgun, nor anything that remotely remind a hunt setup. It's overwhelming the amount of money one has to spend to have a few useful things in this game.
It's definitely not a cheap game, especially when you start to buy items like waterfowling equipment, treestands, tents, blinds and so on, plus various sets of clothing and a decent collection of weapons. However, comparing theHunter to a PS4 game is like comparing apples to oranges. There are players who play theHunter every single day for hours, and have done so for upwards of 7 or 8 years. That means for some people, it offers incredible longevity and value for money. The game is in constant development, and that costs money. If everyone paid a one-off fee equivalent to the cost of a PS4 game, and not a penny more, Expansive Worlds would probably not have been able to sustain the ongoing development work. The game may even have disappeared a long time ago.

I'm not saying you're wrong to be frustrated at the cost of the game. I'm just saying it's not fair to say you get more value from a PS4 game. If you do, then theHunter is probably not the game for you. Bear in mind also that not all items are needed to enjoy the game. One set of clothing, a shotgun, a rifle, a bow and maybe a few other bits of equipment here and there and you can enjoy the full experience of the game (with the possible exception of waterfowling which you can still enjoy by playing in multiplayer with other hosts who have the right equipment).

I understand your point, and it's a valid one. But it's the same thing with other "long term" games, like WoW, Tibia, LoL, DotA and so on. Some of them have a "license" and the extra do not require money, like Tibia. Others are free but have paid content, may it or may it not influence the game, like DotA and LoL. Tibia and WoW have trade too. So, yeah, i paid "a lot" of money to have a few things is TheHunter, and i don't regret it, i'm enjoying this game a lot, playing at least 2~4h a day. But still is frustrating to know that if i want/need ANYTHING extra, i WILL have to spend more money. There should be alternatives. There are ways to keep a company alive, a game updated and a good amount of happy/loyal players without charging for everything.

Again, i'm not saying "Make it free" or anything like that.

@edit

And the PS4 comparison, i'm just trying to say that it's bizarre to spend this much on a PC game. And there are PS4 games that ppl are playing for years without having to pay one cent aside the game price. I can compare it to others PC games that are just like i said, but there is no difference, tbh, since no company will sustain a game that is bleeding money, they all try and find a way to attract players, keep the ones they have, and earn money, doesn't matter if it's a small of huge company.
Last edited by DoctorStarbuck on July 13th, 2016, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

DoctorStarbuck wrote:There are ways to keep a company alive, a game updated and a good amount of happy/loyal players without charging for everything.
Can you give some examples that would work for theHunter?

I can't think of any way to sustain a company like Expansive Worlds without money and the only way to make money from a game like theHunter is to sell memberships and items. The game is too niche to rely exclusively on memberships. If 10,000 players bought a 12 month membership every year, that would equate to about $350,000 per year. Obviously I have no idea how many subscribers / active players there are in the average year, but I would be surprised it's a huge amount. Even if my guess was way off and there are 50,000 active players who buy a 12 month membership each year, that works out at about $1.75m per year. I doubt that would cover salaries, rent, employer tax contributions, hosting and infrastructure costs. I'm throwing numbers out there and acknowledge that I don't have the correct figures. However, I believe memberships alone are not enough to sustain the company.

For other games there are other ways to generate revenue; advertising being a big one. There are not enough players and probably never will be, compared to games like WoW or DotA or the others you mentioned, to be able to generate the demographics needed to command adequate revenue from advertising. Anyway it's an interesting topic of discussion. I'm only asking if you have ideas because I'm genuinely interested. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it and can't come up with a way.

Return to “Kennel”