scent dog problem

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Pittie
Hunter

scent dog problem

Post by Pittie »

Hello :)

I own a female hound (level 16) and following problem. The dog follow the track, but in very most cases he doesn't find the animal but walk above (!) or beside the animal and
walk farther in the territory. No bark. Absurd. Friend with male hounds and same level as mine does not seems to have this problem. Is it possible that females are buggy at this point?
Any other user with such problem?

Sorry for my english :oops:

Regards from Berlin
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

Monstrous Vik
Spotter

Re: scent dog problem

Post by Monstrous Vik »

I can confirm this isn't gender related. My hound does the exact same thing, sometimes anyway. Blood track a few meters in front of the kill and he just walks past the kill still tracking and searching
[---------- Happy Hunting ----------]
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

This solution works fine for me: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p803255
Thanks again Durkadeer
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

dmbHunter7
Spotter

Post by dmbHunter7 »

@Pittie: I have noticed the same problem. Thanks for the link, I will try Durkadeer's walking approach. Even though most of the time walking will scare the dying wounded animal before I can get a good second shot on the roaming wounded.

In addition to that problem: I feel that the worst problem that the scent hound (might relate to Retrievers) has is getting stuck on rocky terrian or between two close trees; especially, when on the hunt for wounded animals. I am astongished that the fundamental base AI doesn't have a vector verification code written into the game dynamics, so that all the animals will detect no change in XY coordinates even though their vector states that there should be. I keep having to call my dog off the scent and re-command the hound once I find the next track. In some instances, I can actually push the dog off the tree/rock(s) so that I can continue on the hunt.
Rockmon

Post by Rockmon »

I want to add another dis-like/problem. When in a tree-stand, and calling in a deer or turkey, dog while in down setting spooks them with the noise he makes. I like the bloodhound as a hunting buddy, but not at the cost of limiting my ambush tactics. Will this be changed/fixed?
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

Rockmon wrote:I want to add another dis-like/problem. When in a tree-stand, and calling in a deer or turkey, dog while in down setting spooks them with the noise he makes. I like the bloodhound as a hunting buddy, but not at the cost of limiting my ambush tactics. Will this be changed/fixed?
Can't you just put him in the backpack while you are in the treestand?

The dogs are just "equipment" afterall right?

(note: not tried this myself just a suggesting that might be worth trying)
xyl
Scout

Post by xyl »

Depending on the level of your dog, he will get smarter as he levels up. Mine is at level 20 now and does a pretty good job at tracking. Up to about level 10 he is pretty stupid. After 10 he starts getting better. Mine at the lower levels would run by the animal or even stand on it and nothing. ;)
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

xAncalagonx wrote:
Rockmon wrote:I want to add another dis-like/problem. When in a tree-stand, and calling in a deer or turkey, dog while in down setting spooks them with the noise he makes. I like the bloodhound as a hunting buddy, but not at the cost of limiting my ambush tactics. Will this be changed/fixed?
Can't you just put him in the backpack while you are in the treestand?

The dogs are just "equipment" afterall right?

(note: not tried this myself just a suggesting that might be worth trying)
Well, so I tested today and apparently putting dog in a backpack doesn't work. At least not until we get smaller dogs like a Beagle or Jack Russell I guess :)

I suppose the only way to avoid having dog scare something when hunting from a treestand is to just carry a tent and pitch that up nearby, then put dog in the tent while you are in the treestand. Then go equip the dog after you shot something and need to track it.

Optionally, walk your dog far away from the treestand and tell it to stay. Then go back to your treestand. That way, while there is still a small chance it will spook animals that approach from the direction where the dog is laying down at least there no chance it will spook animals near the treestand which approached from any other direction.

At end of the day though, bringing dog for a tree-stand hunt is a bit counterproductive since it can't climb into the treestand with you like it can with a blind.

Return to “Kennel”