Scent Hound; kill not found?

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
Monstrous Vik
Spotter

Scent Hound; kill not found?

Post by Monstrous Vik »

Howdy Y'all,

So for several sessions now I have noticed that my scent hound is not able to find the kill, even tho most of the times it is literally in-front of him.
I'm not sure what happened but he used to be really good at tracking down animals and barking when he saw the kill.
Now he just walks and sniffs and tracks.. and after a while he runs back and the little ? pops up.

Has anyone had this experience aswell? Might it be bug related of some kind? Or did they change the dogs behavior?

Kind regards,
MonstrousVik
[---------- Happy Hunting ----------]
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Scent Hound; kill not found?

Post by HooCairs »

Are the tacks your dogs doesn't find blood tracks or footprints? The scent hound will only follow blood tracks afaik.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Monstrous Vik
Spotter

Post by Monstrous Vik »

Some blood, some fleeing tracks (fleeing tracks after blood trail).

They should be able to track fleeing tracks that will come after blood tracks, afaik.

Previously he really had no problem following tracks, didn't matter if they were blood or if they became fleeing tracks and he always found his kill, barking and all that.
[---------- Happy Hunting ----------]
mcpaultje

Post by mcpaultje »

i am having the same problem
AWiseMansDestiny
Spotter

Post by AWiseMansDestiny »

I think it loses focus or the animal path if the gap between blood tracks are to high or whenever the animal goes through water.

Don't question my name, it's on purpose.
mcpaultje

Post by mcpaultje »

AWiseMansDestiny wrote:I think it loses focus or the animal path if the gap between blood tracks are to high or whenever the animal goes through water.
water is not a problem for my dog
Durkaderr
Spotter

Post by Durkaderr »

A couple things I have noticed so far that may apply:

1) The hound can pick up the trail once lost on a fleeing track. Does not have to be a blood spot to re-establish, but does have to have blood along the trail.

2) My hound has also walked up to a harvest with no bark and loses the trail; however, I have found that it is only if I am crouching at the time the dog discovers the body. It is like he is in quiet stealth mode as if we are not on a trail, but he is running around like normal. If he finds the harvest and I am walking normal he barks just fine.

Just my observations so far. I know #1 is correct, and #2 is just my experience.
Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

Durkaderr wrote:A couple things I have noticed so far that may apply:

2) My hound has also walked up to a harvest with no bark and loses the trail; however, I have found that it is only if I am crouching at the time the dog discovers the body. It is like he is in quiet stealth mode as if we are not on a trail, but he is running around like normal. If he finds the harvest and I am walking normal he barks just fine.
Thats a very good tip! Now my dog works better. This info should be put into the dog instruction!
Thank you very much. :)
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

matjes

Post by matjes »

Durkaderr wrote:A couple things I have noticed so far that may apply:

1) The hound can pick up the trail once lost on a fleeing track. Does not have to be a blood spot to re-establish, but does have to have blood along the trail.

Just my observations so far. I know #1 is correct, and #2 is just my experience.

This is just partially true. In case of crouching the dog discovers the body, yes. But then he is coming bank to me, showing the questionmark. He doesn't stay near the dead body.
But thanky for that interessting news, that crouching changes the gameplay. I didn't knew that before. A Must-Have for the discription of handling the dog.
Durkaderr
Spotter

Post by Durkaderr »

I am glad my info helped. I have not fully confirmed the crouch thing, as I stopped crouch-tracking with the dog to prevent the non-barking/confused harvest discovery. It just only seemed to happen when I was crouched. I do not believe I have had non-barking confused harvest discovery while standing.

I have been trying to discover the best way to track a wounded animal with the hound, and still be able to sneak up on it. As a wounded/nervous animal spooks easy, I feel I should crouch, but worry that the dog ahead would spook it. I am still trying to figure this out, but the dog while tracking does not seem to spook it very much. I have had the dog catch up to a wounded animal and just run around it without spooking it. It doesn't spook until I get near.

Still a lot of little things with the dog to sort out. Trying to figure out if certain aspects are working as intended or are bugs.

Return to “Kennel”