My Dog-Related Thoughts

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

My Dog-Related Thoughts

Post by ElusiveShadow »

So I am very excited to see that we are getting dogs and their announcement has set my mind running with the possibilities. Surprisingly, 'General Chat' isn't full of threads discussing them so I thought I would share my thoughts and get a discussion going. I hunt with dogs in real life, so I have various thoughts on the matter:

1. I hope we do not have to buy multiple breeds to do specific things. I'd rather not have a 'kennel' of six dogs, with each being able to do one specific thing. If each breed perhaps had advantages in certain area that's ok but generally I'd rather the breeds are all able to do everything. I think this would be more realistic and allow us to gain a stronger connection with our virtual companion.

2. Retrieving! I was a smidge concerned that the devs said they hadn't considered allowing dogs to retrieve rabbits in game yet. I hunt rabbits with dogs in real life and they can certainly retrieve! If I shoot a pheasant and a rabbit in game, I'd like the dog to bring me both.

3. I'm glad they devs have mentioned that the dogs will have their own skill set. This is exciting! It will be nice to see our friend develop and increase his skills [as a dog in real life gains experience].

4. Some people seem worried that dogs will be gamebreaking but I cant say I agree. I would like the dogs to help me track animals but it really would be a great feature. Is it really that different from the huntermate? We already have a device that shows us where an animal called from, what direction it ran in, what gender it was etc. Also, for experienced players, it is largely impossible to lose the tracks of anything in game. Once you figure out the behaviour of the animals and quirks of the engine you can, 95% of the time, always find the next track. I do not really see dogs giving any kind of hugely unfair advantage.

5. Dogs could always be disabled for certain competitions. 'Dog cannot be used while competition is active' would be a simple way to placate those who have a problem with dogs helping out. [Although I would not have a problem losing to someone who had a dog help them track a shot animal]

6. I hope, over time, we get a variety of breeds/colours etc. Naming would also be a simple yet nice touch.

I will think up more to post but I'm curious to hear the communities thoughts on these issues so far. Does anything else bother/excite you about dogs being included?

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
Gooseman81
Outfitter

Re: My Dog-Related Thoughts

Post by Gooseman81 »

2. Retrieving! I was a smidge concerned that the devs said they hadn't considered allowing dogs to retrieve rabbits in game yet. I hunt rabbits with dogs in real life and they can certainly retrieve! If I shoot a pheasant and a rabbit in game, I'd like the dog to bring me both.
totaley agree with out this abillity the Dog would only be half as usefull to me so +100 i really hope they will ad that feature
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

1. I hope we do not have to buy multiple breeds to do specific things. I'd rather not have a 'kennel' of six dogs, with each being able to do one specific thing. If each breed perhaps had advantages in certain area that's ok but generally I'd rather the breeds are all able to do everything. I think this would be more realistic and allow us to gain a stronger connection with our virtual companion.
Your kidding right? Should not need but 1 camo either, but every reserve has its own, and some have 3. This money maker won't get past them. Each dog will cost you and there will be many things to buy for that dog.
Spoiler:
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

INTIMID883R wrote:
Your kidding right? Should not need but 1 camo either, but every reserve has its own, and some have 3. This money maker won't get past them. Each dog will cost you and there will be many things to buy for that dog.
Dogs are not camo though [autumn, winter, forrest, field etc]. When the launch dogs, then later add new features and capabilities of the dogs, I should not need to buy specific breeds for specific things. This is just realistic. I dont want a lab for retrieving pheasant, a spaniel for duck etc.

I like the thought of a spaniel perhaps having a stamina/'loves water' perk or something and other breeds likewise.

I wasn't talking about buying things for dogs or getting a hundred free breeds. I was referring to limiting breeds to specific things they can do. For example, a Lab should be able to retrieve feather and [for example] rabbit. I should be able to track things with a lab BUT I do not mind if, say, a Beagle has a 'tracking' perk.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
KnifeSmile
Scout

Post by KnifeSmile »

They've already made it pretty clear that specific breeds will do specific things. IMO that is more realistic. People don't have one all-purpose dog to do every possible hunting task imaginable. There is a reason that many different breeds exist in real life to begin with that is because one dog cannot do everything well.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

The problem with using the dog for tracking is it will know exactly the path of the animal it is tracking, where we can only go by the direction it shows an playing experience. Also tracks hidden in objects to us will not be to the dog. If you can train the dog by leading it to the tracks, eventually it will surpass the player in ability. If it doesn't then what is the point. It will be a tough balancing act to make them not pay to win, and still wanted by the masses.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
killertut
Master Hunter

Post by killertut »

yeah, this needs to be really well balanced.
i do assume that the labradors will only be able to retrieve small animals and as long as he cannot pick up animals faster than the hunter, it wont turn into pay to win.

Feedback on my work as a moderator is always welcome!
SgtViper
Scout

Post by SgtViper »

Hopefully rabbits to?? Possibly??

Viper
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

KnifeSmile wrote:They've already made it pretty clear that specific breeds will do specific things. IMO that is more realistic. People don't have one all-purpose dog to do every possible hunting task imaginable. There is a reason that many different breeds exist in real life to begin with that is because one dog cannot do everything well.

That is a broad sprectrum though. Here, we require tracking & retrieving and many breeds can do that skillfully. As I have said, and will reiterate, I like the breeds being unique in-game and having advantages over others. My concern is they should all share common abilities [ability to swim/retrieve/track]. I really dont want to have to buy a spaniel to retrieve ducks but have to buy a labrador to retrieve pheasants etc that's just silly.

For example, I have been a beater for numerous Scottish estates and the variety of breeds you see among the beaters is large. They have different abilities but they can all use their nose and retrieve a shot pheasant/partridge etc.

KnifeSmile
Scout

Post by KnifeSmile »

I don't think you need to worry about that. The news post already specifically said the Lab will be able to retrieve multiple types of small animal. (I forget which at the moment, but definitely more than just one or two species.) It looks to me like the dogs will be specialized, but not to the point of ridiculousness. It makes sense to use a lab mainly as a retriever, and to have some other breed for tracking (or whatever other functions dogs will be given). I mean, honestly, for it to work the way you said and still be meaningful, the 'breed bonus' would have to be large enough that using an unsuited breed for that task would be silly. The way I look at it, why would you want to try to make one dog do a bunch of tasks, many of which it isn't particularly suited to, when you could train it specifically to do the stuff it's good at, and get another dog for the stuff it isn't good at? So long as they aren't overspecialized I see no problem with this. Plus, again, we have to remember this is not real life, it is a game, and game balance has to be considered. Something might be more realistic, but still unworkable in the context of a game.

Return to “Kennel”