My Dog-Related Thoughts

Discuss everything and anything related to dogs in theHunter.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Re: My Dog-Related Thoughts

Post by DHRifleman »

Real life really has nothing to do with it. If a player can sit in the blind, and the dog can retrieve the ducks as they are shot without the player having to worry about ones coming in spooking, then it is an advantage that is paid for. Personally I really don't care, but EW has stated they don't want the game pay to win.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
ChrisMK72
Outfitter

Post by ChrisMK72 »

DHRifleman wrote: If a player can sit in the blind, and the dog can retrieve the ducks as they are shot without the player having to worry about ones coming in spooking, then it is an advantage that is paid for. Personally I really don't care, but EW has stated they don't want the game pay to win.
Advantage ? What advantage ? I have an advantage, when i buy a shotgun, over the ones who don't buy a shotgun.
Is this pay to win ?

What to win anyway ? More shot ducks ?
At one point you are out of ammo anyway, with or without dog. With dog, it's just more comfortable, i think, and most important: More fun !

And about win: I think it's more luck than everything else.

A little story(sorry one longer posting from me again ;) ):
I remember one time, when i wanted to start a hunt. Nothing special, just go out and shoot something. Didn't know what map i would start, at first.
I activated all the competitions, without thinking/reading about them, and just started a game, just had fun hunting.

Somehow i won a bronze medal in an intermediate moose competition, and i didn't know what this competition was about.
I felt somehow sorry for those guys who really were in this competition and wanted a medal.

I play competitions very, very rarely. Most of the time only special things, like summer-, winter-, easter-events, and so on.
And even these not really passionate(just get some medal, that everyone get's there).

So "win" could be more important for others, but you can still win a medal in just one hunt/one shot with pure luck.
Sometimes with even not knowing that this shot is important for some kind of competition, you forgot about to be in. ;-)
I don't think we have much "pay to win" here.

And dogs (what this topic here is about) are much more important for other things. I don't want a dog, to win a competition, and i think most of us think this way.
I just want a dog/more dogs, because i like dogs and would love to have some, and play with them inGame.
Just for fun, and not to "win"(whatever).

And i play nearly no competitions anymore. Sometimes(rarely) private ones(no official), just for fun, and hunt together with others from the community. It's not so important for me to win there. More being part of something together.
But maybe it's because i do not compare much with others.
I don't care about my HS too. I have a lot of rifles, but i don't play them to get higher HS. I just play for fun.
I like to have different weapons(but by far not all). I like to have them and test them how they look/work/sound, but not for higher HS.

In the beginning i wanted to get "higher" with HS. All was new, and i wanted to get the 100 HS. Wow ! ;) :lol: :mrgreen:
After that i set myself a new goal: 250 HS. After that i stopped with it. The rest comes automatic.

So what can i "win" with a dog ?
More fun i think :-)
And that's why i play.

Ok, sry. This posting get's longer like it should be. ;) I stop here.

Just my two cents about dogs to have an advantage, or pay to win.
K4n4y
Hunter

Post by K4n4y »

While hunting ducks a hog passing very far can spook them in game so why not the dog ?

I already have seen this numerous times and it was also reported by many in the forum that shooting in the air from times to times helps with this, it doesn't affect geese tho, they land and don't care if some other animals are in the rendering area.

Another possible advantage concerning the ducks:

unlike the geese they are hard to hear (and often notice ) at long range, with the geese you can hear them from very far away, but with the ducks it's another story and also what happens during the rain ?
Will the dog provide an extra advantage alerting you about a flock coming before you can even hear or see it if he detects them before you and stop moving going immobile in prone position like it should ?

This will be by far the greatest paid advantage the dog could provide compared to only going to retrieve the dead birds .
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

ChrisMK72 wrote:Advantage ? What advantage ? I have an advantage, when i buy a shotgun, over the ones who don't buy a shotgun.
Is this pay to win ?
NO, buying a shotgun is not an advantage over someone who doesn't, it is allowing you to compete in the comps, and they can't.
Having a dog that can retrieve ducks as you shoot them, that doesn't spook the other ducks is an advantage over someone that does not have the dog, and either collects as they shoot, and if ducks are coming in they will not break, or waits until the end of the hunt and runs the risk of the disconnection issue not letting them claim any of them.

Remember the dog is part of the game, and because of this, any task that it can do that normally takes player interaction will be done more efficiently that the player can do it. Where the player needs to look for domes of downed ducks or tracks of an animal the dog does not, it is directed by the code. Either the dog will have built in errors to keep it from getting good at the task, or when it is trained to the highest level it will be like having a cheat that makes all the animals visible through the obstacles, or showing the path it took ahead of you on the HM.

MY point is as long as a dog outside the blind will get the same reaction from the animals as the hunter would then it will not be pay to win. If the player needs to decide when to send the dog, and it will run out and bring the duck back, after it has built up XP, then it will not be pay to win.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
ArcheriusRott
Tracker

Post by ArcheriusRott »

I saw on the facebook page a comment saying that "they will spook animals, but there will be more to that", so they will definitely spook animals, how and how much though we can only wait to see. There was also a comment saying that there will be a small survey shortly after the release of the Labrador.
ChrisMK72
Outfitter

Post by ChrisMK72 »

DHRifleman wrote:MY point is as long as a dog outside the blind will get the same reaction from the animals as the hunter would then it will not be pay to win. If the player needs to decide when to send the dog, and it will run out and bring the duck back, after it has built up XP, then it will not be pay to win.
Ok. I'm curious myself how it will be introduced in the end.
I think we will hear more from it soon.

edit:
ArcheriusRott wrote:There was also a comment saying that there will be a small survey shortly after the release of the Labrador.
Interesting. So they want to check the reactions, and if there will be something to change.
ArcheriusRott
Tracker

Post by ArcheriusRott »

ArcheriusRott wrote:There was also a comment saying that there will be a small survey shortly after the release of the Labrador.
Interesting. So they want to check the reactions, and if there will be something to change.[/quote]

Possibly, could be a few things in the survey, like, polling future breeds, skills, etc.

I hope the Labrador is released soon, it feels like months since the announcement hahahahaha It's becoming rather monotonous waiting for it (first world problems, hey?)
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

ArcheriusRott wrote:it feels like months
You seem to have quite short months in Australia, if they're significantly shorter than 6 days :D

What are average montly salaries down under? Maybe I should be looking into moving... :lol:
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
ArcheriusRott
Tracker

Post by ArcheriusRott »

Knut wrote:
ArcheriusRott wrote:it feels like months
You seem to have quite short months in Australia, if they're significantly shorter than 6 days :D

What are average montly salaries down under? Maybe I should be looking into moving... :lol:
:lol: Depends, monthly salaries for politicians are good, but if you are not one of those then you're out of luck :lol:

Waiting for this dog is like waiting for Christmas when you are a kid, the night before takes forever, you want to hate Christmas, but you can't...... well it is the same :lol:
Twoshots

Post by Twoshots »

I really enjoyed today's live-stream video introducing the retriever dogs and their capabilities. The developers asked during the presentation for suggestions and wish-fors for these hunting companions. I have two based on what I saw and heard on the video.

Real dogs bond strongly with their owners. To reflect this, and to build the sense of bonding in the game, I would like to see the retriever look to its owner when commands are given and/or periodically look in the direction of the owner when idle.

I gathered that there is no differentation in abilities between gender. I might suggest that females begiven a slight advantage in obedience based skills, while males have a slight advantage in strength/stamina based skills. Thus a player could choose between a dog that performs control tasks more smoothly, or a brute who has slightly more endurance when doing its work.

I think the designer/developers are producing a real winner with this new offering. I can hardly wait to pick up my "puppy" from the kennel.

Return to “Kennel”