Thoughts on the improved T.Rex AI?

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
pheonixflames
Scout

Thoughts on the improved T.Rex AI?

Post by pheonixflames »

What do you all think of the improved AI? Is it better or worse?

I think it looks better now that the T.Rex will actually run to the source of a shot rather than slowly walk to it, but now it's even more difficult to kill solo. You've got a chance to get off 4-8 shots before it reaches you and then you're dead. In my opinion they need to either add the old T.Rex charge back in, or make it so it flees at 50% HP so one well placed shot will scare it off.
Epona142
Scout

Re: Thoughts on the improved T.Rex AI?

Post by Epona142 »

I'll never kill a rex at this rate. I am just too 'slow' of a player, if you know what I mean - I am visually impaired so fast moving games bother my eyes after a bit. Never been good at FPS'ers (can't aim fast enough to prevent my own death) though I love hunting simulations, because it's more about patience and setting up a proper shot.

But I love dinosaurs and I have desired a dinosaur hunting simulation so badly I pick up Primal and play it once in a while. I usually can manage to kill a few raptors.
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

I think now with the new changes, once you fire on a T-Rex, you're going to have to move and relocate quickly for the next volley of shots, and keep repeating the hide and seek, and hopefully if we are lucky we'll be able to stay alive long enough to confirm a harvest. ;)

My opinion, the worst change they made is once you are killed and must start over, you lose everything now. :shock:
It doesn't matter if you are able to make it back to where your grave marker is, there is no backpack or inventory - gone! :o
I just majorly lost interest in Primal, with these latest changes and updates. :x

Up to this point, I was really beginning to enjoy Primal, even with the addition of the Quezalcoatus flying terror, but now losing everything, I hope I'm not the only one to register a complaint and ask EW to give us back our inventory backpack after we've been digested. :)

It is one thing to design a game of challenges, tactics and strategies, which I love and look forward to, but when you severely restrict the elements where there will be a continuous program of frustration, I will look elsewhere for enjoyment in a game program. 8-)
Spoiler:
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Swampfox wrote:
My opinion, the worst change they made is once you are killed and must start over, you lose everything now. :shock:
It doesn't matter if you are able to make it back to where your grave marker is, there is no backpack or inventory - gone! :o
That sounds like a bug.

I've been able to collect my stuff from my corpse a few times today
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Swampfox wrote:
I just majorly lost interest in Primal, with these latest changes and updates. :x
Most definitely a bug, Tom. Have been killed a couple of times and have had no problems finding and reclaiming my inventory. Are you SURE you didn't just overlook it or something?
chewik
Outfitter

Post by chewik »

maybe a bug, or maybe a bad luck. Once I was killed by quetz, he dropped me into the forrest and I had big problem to recover my backpack. I think it was inside a tree / on the tree, because I didn't find it, I just got "Press E" message in the lower right corner. also my grave wasn't there.
DonderDeer
Outfitter

Post by DonderDeer »

chewik wrote:maybe a bug, or maybe a bad luck. Once I was killed by quetz, he dropped me into the forrest and I had big problem to recover my backpack. I think it was inside a tree / on the tree, because I didn't find it, I just got "Press E" message in the lower right corner. also my grave wasn't there.

Sometimes your backpack gets stuck in the air where the quetz triggered to drop you.
homk
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Yep, I do believe there was a bug or some kind of critter that crawled off the T-Rex that ate me. :cry:

When I re-spawned, I was on the coast with nothing but a pair of bright orange, long-johns, and no weapons/Machete, no pod or anything.
When I finally got to my grave site, no backpack and could not even find the pile of rocks with my skull on top.
After restarting again, and gathering more clothes and gear, ran right into Mrs. Rex who hadn't eaten any breakfast and she was in an awful mood, and yep, she ate me again.
This time though, when I re-spawned, I entered at a pod, grabbed the Machete and found my grave marker - and all my stuff! :D
So must have been a bug the first time. :roll:

There is a statement in the update that says "Players can no longer access chest/grave inventory when dead" - so I took that to mean, once you're dead you lose everything. Not sure I understand and hope that Alena will clarify that update for me. 8-)
Spoiler:
phaT-X
Tracker

Post by phaT-X »

I like it, but when playing solo it can be difficult to deal with the T-rex. I would say that 80% of the time I play, I play solo, so when I engage the T-rex now, I do some planning before hand. I check my surroundings and make sure I have places to hide or go to that I can get out of it's reach. Even if you have a powerful weapon and plenty of ammo, that first shot needs to be right on the mark, because once it starts charging it is going to be difficult to make good shots that cause major damage.

One thing about the update is not accurate though... the T-rex only goes to the point of origin of the shot if you "stay there" .. everytime I take a shot on one, I make sure it is at least 650 feet away, I perfer it to be 800+ feet away, giving me time to relocate to a different spot. I do this just incase I do not have the ability to make good clean shots on it as it is charging towards me, but I noticed the T-rex ALWAYS seems to go to the area I relocated to, not the area I shot from, and I make sure without a doubt that there is no way it could have seen me or heard me relocate, so how does it know where I am? Smell? There are always hills, obstacles, and a great distance between me and the T-rex's I engage now, but somehow it still comes to the general area I relocated to after I shoot. I know it has no visual on me, and I would assume if I cannot hear its footsteps yet, it then should not be able to hear me either.

Return to “theHunter: Primal”