T-Rex a bit too tough ?

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

T-Rex a bit too tough ?

Post by xAncalagonx »

Don't get me wrong, I want the T-Rex to be a major threat in the game. Not something you just take a potshot at for fun. It should be planned and the shot placement should be carefully done. Failure to hit properly should, most often, lead to death.

So anyways... I got the .700 rifle and I found a T-Rex. It was just standing still and not moving at all so I decided to go for it.

I spent a good while to get around the wind, then approached it from the flank and crawled up as close as I could.

From a prone position with the .700 at around 50m range I fired at his neck, figuring the .700 would have the penetration and damage to snap his neckbones and secure a kill.

Well, I fired at his neck once... and he just stood there so I fired the 2nd barrel at the neck as well. Then he turned towards me and walked really slowly. I figured I must have missed somehow, so I reloaded and shot him again, this time in the chest and side just behind his armpit. That made him just stop and stare at me... so I reloaded again and fired.

Total of 6 x .700 rounds before he fell over.

Looking at the kill info in the harvest screen I see that both of my initial .700 rounds penetrated and hit the neckbones. So my question is really this... why didn't he fall over when his neck was snapped? Maybe he would have fell over, if I had given it a few more moments, but when you shoot at a T-Rex and he doesn't die but starts walking towards you... well... you shoot again. Anyone would.

So are the T-Rex a bit too tough (being able to walk around with a broken neck) ?

I honestly feel like I wasted 4 x .700 rounds and the first two, in fact just the first round which took his spine, should have been sufficient to drop him. It's almost like my very careful crawling and taking my time to aim properly was just a waste and I might as well just have gone Rambo and 'spammed' .700 rounds at him rather than go for the proper shot placement.

Here is the harvest screenshot.

BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

T-Rex a bit too tough ?

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

6 shots on a Rex really isn't that bad. However, I do feel that in some cases the Rex is a bit OP. I mean, it's still an animal with organs and blood, it's not a god.
The one thing that grinds my gears though is the messed up trophy integrity ruining scores. I've had quite a few black T-Rex (the biggest ones) score the minimum 2000 because the damn TI was 0, even though I hit it 4 times, 2 in the heart. IMO, TI shouldn't even be in Primal. It's not like we have to worry about the meat.

Oh, for what it's worth, .50 Cal kill:

Jackulwulf
Spotter

Re: T-Rex a bit too tough ?

Post by Jackulwulf »

Personally I think its because they don't want to make it so that you can one shot a t-rex, at least I don't think anyone ever has...correct me if I am wrong. I think the t-rex takes a minimum of 2 shots before they will die. It seems no matter how big the gun you have or where you shoot, it won't go down with one hit even if in real life it probably would have. I never bother taking down t-rex because it takes so much ammo to do so and it takes forever for them to die(and I don't shoot willy nilly, I do my best to shoot the lungs and heart). And when you have unstable internet like mine, more often then not by the time the t-rex would die my internet would have cut out.
phaT-X
Tracker

Re: T-Rex a bit too tough ?

Post by phaT-X »

Nothing off about that, I've had to shoot a T-rex 8 to 9 times with a .700mm double rifle before, and the majority of them were well placed shots, at least 5 were lung/heart shots. The T-rex can be a really tough dino at times, then at other times go down fairly easy. The least amount of shots I've dropped a T-rex with is 2 shots, but those were all really close shots & for a minute I thought I was dead for sure it got so close, then on another hunt using the .308 rifle and 12 gauge shotgun w/ slugs & buckshot, I put 64 shots in one before it finally died, yes that is not a typo, it took 64 shots! Of all those 64 shots, I hit it everywhere... alot of them were good vital shots, and alot were just body shots, but shooting it 64 times is excessive... I had quite a few that just hit it in the hind legs, tail, back, etc.. but those were after I made several good vital shots and it was just running around doing short burst charges, making my bullets not hit their mark, but I tracked several of the wounded track marks before I harvested it and quite a few registered as lung/heart shots and intestines as well, so I am not sure why it took so many, it was a very large female T-rex though weighing slightly over 6700kg. It might have been a bug too though, because the very next one that came in right after I killed her was a fairly large male weighing 6180kg and it took 58 shots to bring it down. All I can say is it was a good thing I had 119 .308 rounds on me and I also placed 2 backpacks in the barricades @ Celeste's Lab that had spare buckshot and slugs in them, otherwise I would have been in trouble. (Of those 64 and 58 shots though, some were buckshot and I am not sure if back then buckshot counted as 1 shot or counted according to how many places the lead pellets hit?)

I also had a UtahRaptor I shoot 9 times too, which is crazy! I was using the .44 revolver then, but to be honest most shots were just body shots, this happened around the sametime the VelociRaptors were added to the game and this UtahRaptor was running around the tree I was hiding in.. it would walk around the tree, then when it got where the entrance into the tree hollow was, it would sprint full speed across, making my shots hit it in the hind legs / tail, I finally started pre-firing when I saw it's nose start to come across the entrance and finally dropped it.

Just last night I engaged another T-rex, it took 24 shots using the .308 rifle and .44 magnum revolver, it was strange though.. when I first spotted it, I think it was over 600 feet away, I started unloading on it and put 12 shots in it before it started getting really close, I then turned and ran towards a bunch of the big trees that are hollow @ the bottom, we played ring-around the posey for about 15 minutes, it would come in the area I was hiding, walking back and forth, then sitting still right beside the tree, then after a few minutes would start walking away, I would like it get a few hundred feet away, pop out and shoot it some more then run and hide in a different tree, finally it walked down a fairly steep hillside, I felt secure enough to come out a good distance from the trees and put my last two .308 rounds in it, then it started walking back & forth in the same area, I figured it just could not make it up the hillside, I took my .44 revolver out and shot it 3 more times, then it started to run full speed, I thought it was wounded badly and fleeing, oh man was I wrong! It was coming straight up the hillside towards me, I was to far from the trees I was originally hiding in and ran to one lone big tree on the hillside, problem was you "had to crouch" to get in this one due to it being on a steep incline, I barely made it inside that tree, it was almost on top of me when I entered the tree, it walked in front of the tree entrance and turned and got into it's charge stance, I was like "Oh well, I'm dead" .. but I lucked out, the hillside was so steep there, when tried to get me inside the tree, it ended up walking up the side of the tree and fell off to the side of it, so I just started unloading my .44 on it until it dropped.

I think alot of it has to do with the size of the T-rex, the distance it is at, and of course shot placement.

Return to “theHunter: Primal”