Things to fix / add

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
Kache
Tracker

Re: Things to fix / add

Post by Kache »

Good point on the name. However whether it is called improvised or not, the bow is a wholesale transfer of the long bow from TheHunter pc the arrows are also clearly the same arrows. I think the issue for me is that it is poorly named. They either need to just call it what it is... a yew long bow, or bust out with the gnarly bent stick and arrows with stone points. It is a bone of contention to me mostly in that I am an archer, boyer, and fletcher, and feel my weapon of choice is unfairly maligned lol.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

JeeF wrote:
By the way... what difference does the boots, glasses and gloves make? I mean... I'm assuming maybe the boots reduces the sounds of your footsteps, but gloves and glasses? If they are strictly aesthetic, then I'll no longer carry them around and make some room for more ammo and secondary weapon. Anybody has any info on that?
I know that the glasses are useless and are basically just an added little bit of weight. But the gloves and boots add to your overall Camo rating, same as in theHunter. I don't wear any of the glasses because they are purely aesthetic. One thing I do wish is that the clothing weight would be eliminated. As it is, in theHunter the same clothing costs nothing against your carrying capacity, why does it cost in Primal? And it's not like we are wearing heavy body armor or anything.
JeeF

Post by JeeF »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:One thing I do wish is that the clothing weight would be eliminated. As it is, in theHunter the same clothing costs nothing against your carrying capacity, why does it cost in Primal? And it's not like we are wearing heavy body armor or anything.
Indeed!

Clothing shouldn't weight more than 1kg for the full set.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Love your forum avatar JeeF! :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

One thing I would like to touch upon though is the T-Rex. Since the patch, I have taken a few down even tho admittedly my aim with the .700 sucks lol. They can be fun still, but it just seems so odd to have to frantically shoot it and hope it dies before it gets to you. The entire up-close battle is gone, because now when a Rex gets near you there is absolutely no way to avoid it. Even using cover such as rocks or trees is sketchy at best. I personally much more enjoyed back when you were able to evade it's charge. You only had a small window to get a shot off as it passed. Yes, I know people will say "oh but that made it too easy", but honestly maybe it did become easy once you learned how to successfully evade a charge but doesn't everything become easy once you learn how to do it? Plus, it was a 50/50 shot at best at how long a distance the Rex would charge. I had plenty of times where I would avoid a charge and would have to almost immediately go again because he only went 3-4 steps after he missed. It brought options to the game, and the Rex felt like an animal that was complete with one weakness in its biggest attack.
And I'm also getting really tired of people acting like the T-Rex in real life was this uber fast and agile predator (I don't mean you, JeeF). Granted, it could have been a great predator and very fast moving in a straight line. Then again, it could have also been mainly a scavenger, with its best hunts being in ambush. Have you seen the size of those arms? Not very useful for full-on predator. But the real fact of the matter is NO ONE really knows what kind of animal the T-Rex really was. Could have been the world's biggest hyena in terms of behavior for all we know. Science can only go so far, so people need to really stop acting as if they know exactly what the T-Rex was like in life. We can assume at best based on its size and mass, and of course using physics and whatever else. ;)
pheonixflames
Scout

Post by pheonixflames »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Yes, I know people will say "oh but that made it too easy", but honestly maybe it did become easy once you learned how to successfully evade a charge but doesn't everything become easy once you learn how to do it?
Great post, I completely agree.
Even a game like Dark Souls becomes fairly easy once you've learned all the patterns, and that's how it should be. Being able to master attack patterns and dodge all of them is part of what makes a game so rewarding.
JeeF

Post by JeeF »

I understand what you mean, I've played my fair share of Dark Souls and it's a great game.

However, how the t-rex was before was too easy to master. Some players were showing videos of how to always kill them without ever being caught.
What's the point of having a t-rex if you will never die to one?

You guys have to remember that in Primal you're not the top of the food chain. Raptors are already too easy to deal with, Triceratops run away scared of any noises.

The T-rex is the only thing to be afraid of. Having this feeling that I'm not in the top of the food chain in Primal is what makes me keep playing, the sweaty palms, the adrenalin.

Honestly, when I saw videos teaching how to dodge the t-rex, I felt disgust and no longer any interest in playing Primal, since there was no more challenge.

The t-rex is still fairly easy to kill. You can hide when you don't have the upper hand, and kill it when you do.

I've been running a very high survival bonus multiplier, alive for over 21 hours in my current session, with 22 t-rexes, 40 utahs, 41 triceratops and 55 raptors taken down without dying.

I'd like it to be harder. Without a real challenge, you'll get sick of the game and stop playing sooner than you think. Remember the only end-game we're chasing here is surviving the longest.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

But that's YOU. That's what YOU want, not what the general consensus may want. Notice, I use the word "may" because of course I do not know that either. For a lot of people, the game is already incredibly hard. For others, it's not. Those "others" are usually the ones that put high amounts of time into the game, running very long sessions and whatever. The longer you do something, the more you LEARN, the EASIER it becomes. That's just how anything in life goes. You said so yourself, you've been in a session 21 hours. Well, not for nothing and I do not mean this the way it comes out, but most people, myself included, do not have that kind of time. ,personally, even if I did , I still wouldn't. That's me, though) And of course, now there is the internet where people post videos about how to do things, making life even easier. I myself have 215hrs into Primal myself, and I can tell you that it still is not a walk in the park and there is no way to get around that. I also can still take out T-Rexes myself, but what I am saying is the way to do it now is just too restrictive. You literally have to just shoot til it hopefully falls, because of it gets close its lights out. There is no other way to do it. That's the part that's annoying. Was the charge easy to avoid? Sure, once you leaned exactly how to do it. BUT..the options were there as to how you wanted to face the T-Rex. From a distance? Up close? Keep hiding behind trees? It was all there. Now, it's all gone. The T-Rex can now, during MID-CHARGE, just turn on a dime and get around that tree. It had to use all its senses before, now it only needs to hone in on you once. An animal of that size, turning on a dime multiple directions is just physically impossible and unrealistic, especially if you take physics into account. That much speed and mass? Trying to do that would defy the laws of inertia haha! What WOULD have been a viable thing to do was to mess with the T-Rex's charge. Make it unpredictable. It comes at you like a battering ram as it is and as it used to. Ok, what if you started your dodge too early? It can recognize that and slow down enough to turn. Maybe it didn't charge ahead as far as you thought it would? Maybe it charges further. Either way, if you can get out of its eyesight for a second, it STILL has to turn around and find you again. Hell, it happens to us humans as well. That's what I am saying here. Instead of just goin in and overpowering the T-Rex for the sake of it, think a little and make it believable.
JeeF

Post by JeeF »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:But that's YOU. That's what YOU want, not what the general consensus may want. Notice, I use the word "may" because of course I do not know that either. For a lot of people, the game is already incredibly hard. For others, it's not. Those "others" are usually the ones that put high amounts of time into the game, running very long sessions and whatever. The longer you do something, the more you LEARN, the EASIER it becomes. That's just how anything in life goes. You said so yourself, you've been in a session 21 hours. Well, not for nothing and I do not mean this the way it comes out, but most people, myself included, do not have that kind of time. ,personally, even if I did , I still wouldn't. That's me, though) And of course, now there is the internet where people post videos about how to do things, making life even easier. I myself have 215hrs into Primal myself, and I can tell you that it still is not a walk in the park and there is no way to get around that. I also can still take out T-Rexes myself, but what I am saying is the way to do it now is just too restrictive. You literally have to just shoot til it hopefully falls, because of it gets close its lights out. There is no other way to do it. That's the part that's annoying. Was the charge easy to avoid? Sure, once you leaned exactly how to do it. BUT..the options were there as to how you wanted to face the T-Rex. From a distance? Up close? Keep hiding behind trees? It was all there. Now, it's all gone. The T-Rex can now, during MID-CHARGE, just turn on a dime and get around that tree. It had to use all its senses before, now it only needs to hone in on you once. An animal of that size, turning on a dime multiple directions is just physically impossible and unrealistic, especially if you take physics into account. That much speed and mass? Trying to do that would defy the laws of inertia haha! What WOULD have been a viable thing to do was to mess with the T-Rex's charge. Make it unpredictable. It comes at you like a battering ram as it is and as it used to. Ok, what if you started your dodge too early? It can recognize that and slow down enough to turn. Maybe it didn't charge ahead as far as you thought it would? Maybe it charges further. Either way, if you can get out of its eyesight for a second, it STILL has to turn around and find you again. Hell, it happens to us humans as well. That's what I am saying here. Instead of just goin in and overpowering the T-Rex for the sake of it, think a little and make it believable.
I completely understand your stance, I really do.

When I meant 21 hours session, I forgot to mention that I don't turn my game off or my pc off.
It's an old habit. I minimize the game go do other things, play other games, eat, sleep, go to work, etc.
This also helps me to keep the survival multiplier stacking and level up faster.

I understand each one of us plays the game in a different manner.

For games in general, I try to play it as I would if I was there in person. I imagine myself there in Primal Eden and I go about my business as I would if I was there in real life.

For me, this greatly increases immersion.

So, here's a few tips:

T-rexes are heavy, they would have a great deal of issues trying to go uphill in a big incline. This is realistic and it's simulated pretty well in the game.
With that in mind, I stick to mountainsides. I plan my way ahead, when I go from one camp to the next looking for ammo, I check the safest way to get there.
Knowing I can deal with any other animal anywhere, except the t-rex unless I have the upper hand, makes things a bit easier if you know your ground.

Let's say I want to go from Celeste to Mt. Sisyphys. I know that it's highly unlikely for me to walk those 3km without running into a couple of t-rexes, so the route is crucial.

Knowing they stick to open fields and are not often found in forests, I move west first and go in the forest north-west as far as I can before I start crossing the field.
When I get to the edge of the forest, I climb on a rock and scope around to see if I can find any signs of rexes. I wait a bit to see if I can hear one.
After that, being on the highest ground I can be, or close to dense folliage, I fire a couple of shots into the sky and then quickly move to cover. I wait about 2 mins.
No sound of t-rex or raptors? Great, time to move. I normally walk, saving my stamina for emergencies. I stick to grass and avoid running into bushes, they make loud sounds that give away your position. If I hear any animal other than a triceratops, I stop on my tracks and look around for cover.

Then depending on what's coming your way, you can take different approaches. If you are in an open field and there's a triceratops coming your way, I'd greatly advise you against killing it, unless you have a bow. If you fire shots in an open field, you may attract raptors or a t-rex, and then you will have a hard time protecting yourself. Sure raptors are easy to kill, but firing more and more rounds in an open field is a risk I'm not willing to take. If the triceratops is above 11 tons, I go for it so I can get my achievement (still missing the t-rex and triceratops, stuck at 2200 and 1200 =/).

If you're in the middle of the field and you hear stomping, there's a couple of ways to go about it. First off, move your head around and use your stereo to gather the direction is moving. You will have plenty of time to be sure if it's moving towards you or not. If it's coming straight at your direction, find cover. Wait for it to be somewhat close, toss a couple of rocks to the left or right, and lay prone. Move only your head, as turning your body can get you in trouble. The t-rex will go for the rock, and from there hopefully will go in any other direction other than yours. Mind you that if it comes any closer than 20m from you, regardless of how well hidden you are, you'll have a slim chance of surviving, hence the importance of rocks.

If it comes your way, you're out of rocks and you feel like there's no alternative, pull out your most powerful rifle and aim between the front arms (if it's facing you) or on top of the arm (if it's facing sideways), or even in the back of the head (if it's facing the other way). A couple of shots there and you might be able to take it down, as the first vertebrae/brain are usually fatal.

If there's any hillside around, you may try waiting for the t-rex to move away a bit, move yourself slowly towards the hill and fire a shot to attract it. Wait for it to come close and stop, fire a few good rounds in the heart and collect the reward. The view of the t-rex doesn't allow it to spot you if you're much higher than it. It will also be unable to go uphill, and will try to flank you somehow. Plan ahead, and stick to the highest ground you can find.

Good hunting!
Kache
Tracker

Post by Kache »

I must be the only person that does not try to take a Rex head on... i am still killing them with the bow as I always have. No you cannot get in the blind spot under their belly now (you get stomped) and the Lindsey Hop to the side is out of play. However I still use the same basic method I found from my 4th rex on.. I keep close to good cover (two layers of concealment), move into it if a Rex comes near, stay low and stick him full of arrows as he makes his passes trying to find me. Granted I don't kill 15 Rex a game, in fact I only kill one or two in a long session, but I do it with the bow alone and live to tell the tale. If I am in open turf I seek a steep incline as was mentioned or use a tree for cover and move only when needed. I have tried using the firearms to Rex hunt and all it ever gets me is dead. I make my bank on trikes and Utahs and supplement with an occasional Rex

Now Utahraptors on the other hand... every death I have is from a Utah mob of 5 or more lol. They are the bane of my existence.

Return to “theHunter: Primal”