Some tricks to survive raptor packs.

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Some tricks to survive raptor packs.

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Dont start hunting before you are reasonably equipped.
Just stay out of sight and go about collecting the gear you need.
I prefer to have the scoped 308 and a shotgun with buckshot. Of course plenty of ammo for both.

If I find a pack of raptors I prefer to take them on in the open, from on top of a big rock.
I will bust as many as I can with the 308 at long range then switch to the shotgun as they get closer, and wait until the are below me at my rock and kill them as the scream and jump around in frustration because they cant get me. (Just make sure you dont get too close to the edge of your rock because then they can get you) Buckshot is deadly versus raptors under five metres.

The pistol works good too at close range and the bow will also do the job if you take the time to go for a neck bone.
You will be limited to the shots you can take because they will be facing you with most of their body hidden by the same rock that is keeping you safe.

In a lot of cases when you have killed 4 or 5 the remaining members of the pack will run away and hide in the forest among the thick ferns. You can tell when they are in fear mode by the chittering sound they make, Track them down and kill them, they can be hard to see in the thick fern but they will seldom attack and usually flee again if you spook them.
You may also hear them chittering when they are stuck below a cliff, another good time to sneak down from above and kill them, just dont fall down the cliff.

If I get caught in the forest by a pack I will try to find a big log and climb up on it. It works the same as a rock but you wont have the luxury of shooting them at long range. Use the shot gun for preference and take your time and make sure of each shot. Tracking wounded raptors is a pain in the butt. Four or five screaming raptors all trying to bite you can be pretty intense but keep your wits about you and again, be careful to stay out of reach as you finish them off one by one.

If you cant find a log or rock hide in a hollow tree and shoot any that pass close by the opening, Works well for one or two but not so good for full pack. Better to just lie quiet and wait for them to pass and for a better opportunity when the odds are more in your favour..

My best tally so far has been five dead at the rock and two more cowardly runners tracked down and killed immediately after.
I have died many deaths refining my methods and several times taken on more than I could handle. But the only way to learn is to try different ways and observe the behavior patterns, discover the limitations and analyse the results.

Have fun.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: Some tricks to survive raptor packs.

Post by ronMctube »

if im attacked and only have bow i often save my run let them attack just before they hit me i sprint to side quick lung shot or shoot early if face on middle chest one bow shot accurate = dead raptor.

shotgun is the best raptor killer overall.

i killed in my best raptor hunt i think it was 25-26 in about 2 hrs.

you are better creeping around till you get geared up though. then go slaughter :D
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Thanks guys for the tips! Will remember to try some of these tactics (when I get a new umbrella) and go back in. :lol: :D
Haven't been back to Primal, since all the rain started. :cry:
Spoiler:
MonacoSteve
Master Competitor

Post by MonacoSteve »

Well, the rain is in fact a true pain in the a** in „Primal“.

While I do not have such a problem (in contrast to some others) with the rain in tH, I honestly don’t understand why EW has introduced in in “Primal” - in particular because they must have known that

a) a significant part of the player community in tH desperately hates rain already, and
b) the weather code is not accessible to them for any significant modifications, because it was written by the very first programmers of tH in such a complicated way that nobody dares to tinker with it any further (this is the official excuse why the rain in tH is not reduced or influenced otherwise).

Now, while one can discuss the pros and cons of the rain in tH forever, there is a big difference in “Primal”. Here, you depend much more on sounds than in a peaceful pure hunting game. Rain is thus not only taking away sight (which may be a bit compensated by enhanced camo effects of your clothing) but also kills all valuable acoustic hints which tell you much earlier and better what roams in your vicinity. So, in the first weeks w/o rain in "Primal" I was really acknowledging the fact that we didn't have to deal with water from above – all other threats are already big enough. Then it came, however. Too bad.

OK – sorry for that excurse - back to topic!
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I have been playing Multi with BucksnBuffalos and Moon the past two or three days.
Its quite a different game to single player.
In most cases it easy to deal with packs of raptors when you have some help and the need to sneak around is less important as running and sprinting attracts them.. and in MP.. thats what you want.

As Far as the rain goes, I think that if they could have it turned off in the earlier versions why not keep it off.
It doesn't worry me too, much but if the majority prefer not to have it, I think the Devs should listen.
They are trying to build a game that people like, so why persist with a feature that so many don't like, and very few do.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

giz a shout on steam when you playing ;)

i only played mainly on my own. would love some mp action 8-)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

ronMctube wrote:giz a shout on steam when you playing ;)

Check your PM or Skype requests.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

ronMctube wrote:giz a shout on steam when you playing ;)

Sure, will let you know McTube. We had a good but kind of tough hunt (in Dan's case LOL) with 3 Rex down (myself with 2 kills), a bunch of Raptors and a few Trikes. I don't remember if I sent you my Skype info or not, let me know if you do/don't have it.

Return to “theHunter: Primal”