taking down a rex

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
ronMctube
Chat Logger

taking down a rex

Post by ronMctube »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoW2ISDUy7I

was close i thought he would eat me if im honest :lol:
Cutch
Master Competitor

Re: taking down a rex

Post by Cutch »

Did you go back to camp and change your undies before hunting any more? :lol:
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's:
She changes it more often.
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Thought it had you there Ron, after that fourth shotgun shell it was a surprise to see it drop. Cojones grande amigo.
Flanker305
Trophy Hunter

Post by Flanker305 »

Pretty intense - nice vid Ron!
GrandpaDude
Tracker

Post by GrandpaDude »

That'll get the heart pumping!
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Whew, was sure holding my breath on that one! Great video & great job on putting that T-Rex down, Ron! :shock: :lol: 8-)
Spoiler:
phaT-X
Tracker

Post by phaT-X »

Wow, I would have pooped myself! But a very very good job my man!

I just don't get it though... I've been having an extremely hard time dropping them lately... I have killed 2x as many as I have harvested, usually due to when they flee, it's in the direction of MORE T-rex's and I end up surrounded and out in the open... about a week ago I had one flee and it fled right into an area with 3 more perfectly healthly T-rex's, one being a "massive female" weighing almost 6800kg, she literally looked to be 2x the size of my wounded T-rex. When I get it situations like that, I usually log off so I do not get eaten. These 3 T-rex's almost seemed to be trying to protect the wounded one. I ended up having one to my left, one to my right, and the other directly between me and the wounded one hobbling off. The ones to my left and right were "extremely close" and I was hiding under a small fern in the middle of an open field, I logged off just in time too, the huge female to my left turned and was facing me right at the 3 second mark, I believe she was fixing to turn me into a snack!

Anyway... Of the past 8 T-rex's I have shot and wounded really badly, I only harvested 4 of them... other T-rex's messed up my opportunity of harvesting the others and as low as their health was, I'm sure I could have waited them out and they would have died.

Last night I was @ the fort to the south / south-east of the volcano, I believe it's called Celests Lab or something? This fort has a concrete barricade that you can hide BEHIND, this places you between the barricade and tall concrete wall, it's the best place I've found that makes you almost perfectly inaccessible to the T-rex / Triceratops ( Raptor's too, though they can get behind there if they are positioned a certain way ). Now, a T-rex CAN get you back there if he walks into that barricade... technically it still should not be able to, it's neck has to go through the concrete to get you, but this can happen.

Anyway.. I had like 4 rounds of .308 ammo, 24 slugs, 4 buckshot, and 20 .44 rounds... Of these 52 rounds, 43 went into this male T-rex, and he was only like 5600 to 5800 kg. It fled after shooting it with all 4 .308 rounds, 4 slugs, and 8 rounds of .44 ammo. The .308 rounds were well placed "heart / lung" shots, the slugs looked mostly to have landed in the stomach area, then I put 2 .44 rounds into him and he started to flee... he went towards the volcano. I caught up with him near the base of the volcano, his health with he started to flee was down to 11% (lowest percentage), I then put 4 more .44 rounds into him and 5 more slugs as he was fleeing again.. now he was "fleeing slowly" and seemed to be hobbling, his health was now @ 8% on the lowest percentage. He was now fleeing away from the volcano down one of the old dried up lava run off paths, it was like playing duck, duck, goose trying to track him down... about 1/3 of the way down, I had used ALL my ammo except the buckshot, how he kept going is beyond me?!? I found containers on the way and picked up a bow and a bunch of arrows, I figured I could finish him off with arrows since his health was so low...

Well, I had tracked him almost to the shoreline on the east side of the island, that is when the BIGGEST T-rex I have personally run into in this game came to his aid, she was like 6640 kg to 6780 kg! She was massive compared to him. For 12 minutes this female T-rex walked back and forth beside the wounded male. I was on the other side of the lava flow hiding inside a tree hollow... finally she roamed off. After I could no longer see her, hear her footsteps, or hear her roars, I waited a few more minutes to be sure she was actually gone. During this time the wounded male came right to the tree I was hiding in. I decided to empty my last 4 rounds of buckshot into him, I figured he would drop when I did, but instead he hobbled off again! I ran to scan the track he left from me shooting it with the buckshot, health was now as low as 6%... but then suddenly I heard another set of footsteps, it was his girlfriend, she came back! I went back to my hidey hole and guess what? She stopped right outside of the tree I was hiding in..

I was debating whether to chance it and wait til she left and then go find my male T-rex which would mostly likely be dead, or if I should log off. I had Noble camo head to toe, but I swear each time she moved her head to the side, that big ole eyeball looked as if it was staring right at me, then it let out a massive roar, scared me so bad my hand jerked and it moved my character... I just knew she was going to eat me, so I logged off. So yet another one escapes harvest!

I just do not get how the wounded male took so many hits. I've killed a T-rex before using ONLY the .44 magnum revolver, so I know this gun causes damage, especially up close. I had heart / lung shots and intestine shots, I'm sure a lot of body shots too, but I had atleast 50% of my shots hit important vitals. Still it fled... most of the "body shots" were just when it was in a fleeing state, the others were good solid shots.

Return to “theHunter: Primal”