feedback/suggestions for thehunter primal.

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
0celot
Outfitter

Re: feedback/suggestions for thehunter primal.

Post by 0celot »

I haven't been eaten yet, and only died once (drowning believe it or not) before I had anything. I can confirm that I've kept all my gear as I had it each time. What is spotty for me though, is map progression...

My other issues are with ammo... we need to be able to stack and consolidate. badly. Also, the weight ratios seem off.

Finally, as many have pointed out... once you get a handle on surviving and hunting, it feels like your only goal is to a) stay alive and b) work on steam achievements... I would like to see the ability to say, get a constructible tower going and be able to store loot permanently there... as in, whether I die or not, I can create a "go bag" with loot. A constructible tower would also make a handy safe place to take cover in too.
Insegt

Post by Insegt »

Howdy,

One thing I simply don't get is, why does this has to be Stand alone?

I wish the interface would be based like theHunter. A Web based Interface with profile etc. Yes, it is not heHunter and even the gameplay is different. Releasing it as an alternative titel in order to reach a broader audience is understandable.

BUT the system implemented in theHunter works and so I would like to see it adopted. I would like to use my theHunter gear in primal and I would like to have tents to fast travel and store goods in it. Like a failsafe point.

Why do you communicate theHunter:Primal like some sort of underdog or low level priority project? It is an awesome game with high potential in a market that demands games like this. I don't know the figures, but after what is posted on steam the general tenor on this game is more than just positive.
I know that communication with customers is by far one the most difficult arts, but developing video games and selling them simply is your business case, so please, don't get afraid just because a few people arise with threats. I wish theHunter:Primal all the best and that it will show its potential.

First, we need things to be stackable. I don't think it's intended, because it simply makes no sense not to combine one cartridge of the same calibre with another.
Then, herds would be nice. If technically possible and it doesn't lower the performance too much. I don't know if there is some new information about Triceratops, but my last information states they were believed to live in herds. I hope this may be implemented for all herbivores.
Like I said, I would like to use my gear from theHunter in Primal. Sure, not all of it - Birdshot on a raptor or pterodactylus would be a waste of ammo - but there is much I miss right now. (Oh my darling Python / win mag / Binoculars) how I miss you ....).
Having tents or constructables as fast Travel point and storage and Inventory like the Lodges would be a great addition.
There is nothing wrong with running around and opening crates, but it gets frustrating by the time you open crates in a row and simply find stuff like Pioneer pants left behind by other players. So the boxes won't respawn. At least that's my impression.
I would prefer a model where one might use his theHunter gear while Membership is active and the accounts are linked. This gear would show up if someone loots your dead body, but shouldn't be available to him, instead it should directly be transferred into the safe space (tent etc.) So everybody may see with what you actually hunt, but if he may not use it. Basic principle of: We demand what we see. We begin to demand it, when we see it.
Missions would be nice and Competitions also.

Finally, please, let me state: You do have many interesting features for theHunter, just adopt and adjust some of them to Primal. I'm sure you are thinking about using synergies between these two games, because they simply are pretty close. Well, don't think just do.

Don't get all chewed up

See ya'll around
Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

Insegt wrote:Howdy,

One thing I simply don't get is, why does this has to be Stand alone?

I wish the interface would be based like theHunter. A Web based Interface with profile etc. Yes, it is not heHunter and even the gameplay is different. Releasing it as an alternative titel in order to reach a broader audience is understandable.

BUT the system implemented in theHunter works and so I would like to see it adopted. I would like to use my theHunter gear in primal and I would like to have tents to fast travel and store goods in it. Like a failsafe point.

Why do you communicate theHunter:Primal like some sort of underdog or low level priority project? It is an awesome game with high potential in a market that demands games like this. I don't know the figures, but after what is posted on steam the general tenor on this game is more than just positive.
I know that communication with customers is by far one the most difficult arts, but developing video games and selling them simply is your business case, so please, don't get afraid just because a few people arise with threats. I wish theHunter:Primal all the best and that it will show its potential.

First, we need things to be stackable. I don't think it's intended, because it simply makes no sense not to combine one cartridge of the same calibre with another.
Then, herds would be nice. If technically possible and it doesn't lower the performance too much. I don't know if there is some new information about Triceratops, but my last information states they were believed to live in herds. I hope this may be implemented for all herbivores.
Like I said, I would like to use my gear from theHunter in Primal. Sure, not all of it - Birdshot on a raptor or pterodactylus would be a waste of ammo - but there is much I miss right now. (Oh my darling Python / win mag / Binoculars) how I miss you ....).
Having tents or constructables as fast Travel point and storage and Inventory like the Lodges would be a great addition.
There is nothing wrong with running around and opening crates, but it gets frustrating by the time you open crates in a row and simply find stuff like Pioneer pants left behind by other players. So the boxes won't respawn. At least that's my impression.
I would prefer a model where one might use his theHunter gear while Membership is active and the accounts are linked. This gear would show up if someone loots your dead body, but shouldn't be available to him, instead it should directly be transferred into the safe space (tent etc.) So everybody may see with what you actually hunt, but if he may not use it. Basic principle of: We demand what we see. We begin to demand it, when we see it.
Missions would be nice and Competitions also.

Finally, please, let me state: You do have many interesting features for theHunter, just adopt and adjust some of them to Primal. I'm sure you are thinking about using synergies between these two games, because they simply are pretty close. Well, don't think just do.

Don't get all chewed up

See ya'll around
I agree with most of what you say. In particular the safe storages and fast travel points. I think that's absolutely necessary for this game. There needs to be some deeper progression. And of course similar items should be able to stack. I'm guessing this is just an oversight. However, I'm not at all sure about your ideas of items carrying over straight from your The Hunter account to the Primal account. Sure there're lots of items that I miss from The Hunter too, but I think it needs to be very clear that we're dealing with two separate titles here. Having items from The Hunter showing up in Primal that are unobtainable there is likely to p*ss off a lot of players. Not least the ones who have invested both time and money in Primal but have no interest at all in The Hunter and the subscription+micro transactions model of the parent game. It would give a very unfair advantage to people who play both games considering they are completely independent. It would be unfair to not have everyone on a level playing field in Primal, and it would probably sully the reputation of EW further if they pursued a model where you give a huge advantage in one game to people who invest in one of their other games.
Insegt

Post by Insegt »

Lawger wrote:
Insegt wrote:Howdy,

However, I'm not at all sure about your ideas of items carrying over straight from your The Hunter account to the Primal account. Sure there're lots of items that I miss from The Hunter too, but I think it needs to be very clear that we're dealing with two separate titles here. Having items from The Hunter showing up in Primal that are unobtainable there is likely to p*ss off a lot of players. Not least the ones who have invested both time and money in Primal but have no interest at all in The Hunter and the subscription+micro transactions model of the parent game. It would give a very unfair advantage to people who play both games considering they are completely independent. It would be unfair to not have everyone on a level playing field in Primal, and it would probably sully the reputation of EW further if they pursued a model where you give a huge advantage in one game to people who invest in one of their other games.
I totally understand what you mean. And yes it would be unfair, but it also would be rewarding for those who spent their money. In this business model one shop would fill two games. Or maybe a second frontend for Primal. Yes, it is a preferred model by gamers to pay once and play, but it is also true, that successful titles need to generate income in order to be steadily supported and developed.

Paying once a few bucks means a shorter lifetime value for the game. So, something has and will come, if Primal is successful. Maybe it's just dlcs via steam. New reserves, new Dinos, new Weapons. Whatever, but something has to be done in order to keep up income.
Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

I do hope the devs occationally read this thread because the feedback form in game is almost unusable.

I hope they will work on the raptors AI quite a bit. One of the most immersion breaking things for me right now is their lack of reaction when shot. A raptor can stand 5 metres away, facing partly away from you, you shoot it and it doesn't even flinch. Or if it's walking it just keeps on walking like nothing happened. They're like zombie dogs from the original Resident Evil games at the moment. I expect their behavior to be improved. I would also hope that they start acting like a pack for real. Since they are intelligent hunters rather than mindless killers, they shouldn't just keep coming when you take out their pals. If you take out 2-3 raptors the rest of the pack should flee, or at least regroup, change strategy and try to flank you or something.

I also hope they consider dividing the species between different parts of the island. Raptors are everywhere now and in great numbers. It makes it very difficult to try to hunt another animal when you constantly have to fight off raptors. I think I've killed 13 raptors so far and nothing else. I'd love to stalk and shoot a triceratops but it's almost impossible when you're constantly attacked by raptors. It gets tiresome and annoying. Having the raptors roam some parts of the island but not everywhere would make sense both from a gaming point of view and from a realism point of view. I can't imagine raptors sharing hunting grounds with an apex predator like the T-rex IRL for example.
Insegt wrote:I totally understand what you mean. And yes it would be unfair, but it also would be rewarding for those who spent their money. In this business model one shop would fill two games. Or maybe a second frontend for Primal. Yes, it is a preferred model by gamers to pay once and play, but it is also true, that successful titles need to generate income in order to be steadily supported and developed.

Paying once a few bucks means a shorter lifetime value for the game. So, something has and will come, if Primal is successful. Maybe it's just dlcs via steam. New reserves, new Dinos, new Weapons. Whatever, but something has to be done in order to keep up income.
I understand that. But even if it would mean a great advantage for me personally I wouldn't like the two games to be connected that way. I think it would mean a lot of negativity from the community. The word from EW from the beginning was that Primal would be a one time purchase only, probably to satisfy the hardcore TH-players. We'll see what happens.
Last edited by Lawger on December 18th, 2014, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valrag
Spotter

Post by Valrag »

Well i tried it some times now. Biggest no go for me is losing the found gear and not respawning where i logged off. just a few minutes ago i started a game and spawned right infront of a t-rex...well bye bye shotgun and .308 rifle with scope and almost full equip in clothing.

Another thing is that the game is still called the HUNTER not the PREY. so i want to feel like a hunter, wich doesnt mean i want easy kills on raptors or t-rex but i want a bigger number of herbivores and way way fewer carnivores. Only about 2-3 t-rex per island at a time would be enough , and way fewer raptors. They should be a Danger, not an annoyance.

I wished this game to be more like the original and not another Day Z clone ( to me it makes no difference if i kill Zombies or Dinos)
Insegt

Post by Insegt »

Valrag wrote:Well i tried it some times now. Biggest no go for me is losing the found gear and not respawning where i logged off. just a few minutes ago i started a game and spawned right infront of a t-rex...well bye bye shotgun and .308 rifle with scope and almost full equip in clothing.

Another thing is that the game is still called the HUNTER not the PREY. so i want to feel like a hunter, wich doesnt mean i want easy kills on raptors or t-rex but i want a bigger number of herbivores and way way fewer carnivores. Only about 2-3 t-rex per island at a time would be enough , and way fewer raptors. They should be a Danger, not an annoyance.

I wished this game to be more like the original and not another Day Z clone ( to me it makes no difference if i kill Zombies or Dinos)

Totally confirm. More to the original and more features from the original and I would be glad.
Insegt

Post by Insegt »

Lawger wrote:I do hope the devs occationally read this thread because the feedback form in game is almost unusable.

I hope they will work on the raptors AI quite a bit. One of the most immersion breaking things for me right now is their lack of reaction when shot. A raptor can stand 5 metres away, facing partly away from you, you shoot it and it doesn't even flinch. Or if it's walking it just keeps on walking like nothing happened. They're like zombie dogs from the original Resident Evil games at the moment. I expect their behavior to be improved. I would also hope that they start acting like a pack for real. Since they are intelligent hunters rather than mindless killers, they shouldn't just keep coming when you take out their pals. If you take out 2-3 raptors the rest of the pack should flee, or at least regroup, change strategy and try to flank you or something.

I also hope they consider dividing the species between different parts of the island. Raptors are everywhere now and in great numbers. It makes it very difficult to try to hunt another animal when you constantly have to fight off raptors. I think I've killed 13 raptors so far and nothing else. I'd love to stalk and shoot a triceratops but it's almost impossible when you're constantly attacked by raptors. It gets tiresome and annoying. Having the raptors roam some parts of the island but not everywhere would make sense both from a gaming point of view and from a realism point of view. I can't imagine raptors sharing hunting grounds with an apex predator like the T-rex IRL for example.
First, ingame feedback form is really a pain. I tried to use it and found interpunction not working. Ok, this could simply be due to the fact, that I am using German language settings, but I guess that would be quite a long shot.

Second, the AI needs some improvement. Sure, but Raptors flee when you attack them. Not everytime, but it happens. I encountered a pack of 6, 4 down and two just left the scene as if the apocalypse was chasing them. No, it was only me.

Third, Devs seriously? Last nite was the first time I saw three Triceratops in one spot. Those herbivores were believed to live in herds not as lone rangers like the T-Rex. So please change this. Today it is strongly assumed that carnivores and herbivores were living closely together. So, if one encounters a Triceratops it is as well possible to encounter raptors or even a T-Rex.

Generally, I think we need to understand that this game wants to be as close to nature as possible. But this also challenges each and everyone of us to remind ourselves that all our knowledge about Dinosaurs is mainly based on assumptions. We cannot directly compare modern Day mammals and their bevavior to Dinosaurs. In case of this game there is a span of 60 - 90 million years of evolution in between.
The closest things to Dinosaurs nowadays are the birds, crocodiles and sharks. Still keeping in mind that sharks were the most evolved and highest developed predators even back then. Well, and now there comes a new and unknown variable into play: the human and his weapons. Giving the fact that those predators back then usually had no natural enemies, it is hard to predict when they were attacked. Mainly it is assumed that they simply attack their attacker. There weren't many instincts developed back then. One was to flee from Danger, like Fire, earthquakes etc., another was getting food.
Like sharks or crocodiles they usually don't just flee when attacked. they will turn around and take another chance on their prey. The same thing happens with birds. Their strategy has evolved but it is believed that the basis for this was laid back in that time period.

But you are right. All predators should at least show some reaction to being shot at. Raptors should leave the scene just tto turn around and attack directly straight on forward. Why directly? Well, they hunt on sight and need to see their prey, just the same like the T-Rex. (Jurassic Park wasn't wrong in all aspects ;)) )But it should be easier for a raptor to identify you as prey than for a T-Rex. Still keeping in mind, that they probably couldn't look straight ahead. There is still a lot of work to be done and most of it won't be accomplished by march. But there is solid basis on which this game may prosper and so far ya'll have done a tremendous job.

Don't feel all chewed up 8-)
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

right now i'm a bit disgusted by primal . don't get me wrong it's not a bad game but there are too many frustrations . for example last time i played , i walked around 20 km without dying and i made a small error i tried to sneak between trees where there was few places to hide and i got a herd of raptors in front of me that smelt me and attacked me . i didn't have the shotgun and they got me . after so long , being killed by such little error is frustrating . if there were some tree shacks for example where we could breath a bit and shoot few dinos more easily , the raptors ambush would have been much less frustrating
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

ideas of improvements :

- herbs pickups that would act as scent suppressors
- composite bows & crossbows
- mud pickups to avoid thermal detection like in Predator movie
- face paints camos
- moves detectors
- automatic weapons
- .500 revolver
- airtight bags , to be able to carry dinos eggs without being detected
- being able to craft poisonous arrows
- more high penetration rifles (.300 , .270 , 7 mm mag)
and as i said tree shacks or very secured areas we could rest in when we want to

if i have to face the toughest beasts of the galaxy , i want a beast equipment :P
Last edited by jpm1 on December 20th, 2014, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “theHunter: Primal”