Weapons....

This is the place for theHunter forum members to discuss Primal among themselves. The official Primal community: http://steamcommunity.com/app/322920
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Re: Weapons....

Post by Eggenberg »

ronMctube wrote:yes first thing i want weapon wise is a bow :D
Frag out!
marcomies
Tracker

Post by marcomies »

Eggenberg wrote:
ronMctube wrote:yes first thing i want weapon wise is a bow :D
Frag out!
I don't think explosive arrows really are entirely out of question with the size of prey we are going to get. Here's an article about explosive harpoons used in whaling: http://www.coolantarctica.com/gallery/w ... g/0052.htm

This is the most interesting part: "Despite the apparently huge target, it was not so easy to harpoon a baleen whale efficiently so as to ensure a rapid kill. The harpoon needed to hit the whale just behind the last rib so that it would go forwards into the body cavity and explode amongst the vital organs.

Too far forwards and it would hit a rib so causing it to explode on the surface of the whale, not an immediately fatal or debilitating blow and more crucially, not anchoring the whale with the harpoons flukes. Too far backwards and there was the possibility that the harpoon would shoot straight through the muscle mass leading to the tail and come out the other side, so attaching the whale boat to an agonized, but now enraged and barely debilitated whale. If the harpoon struck too far forwards and hit the skull, it would simply bounce off."

This could be pretty interesting concept for bow hunting large prey. The explosive arrows wouldn't be Rambo style impact grenades but small explosive charge inside the arrowhead that would explode after entering the body (or hitting a bone).
Ollius

Post by Ollius »

Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

I'm really, really hoping for at least one double barreled safari rifle in something like .600 Nitro Express, and a bolt action safari rifle in .416 Rigby or .458 Lott. Most of the weapons mentioned would be great, but I wouldn't be happy unless we get some classic safari style dangerous big game rifles.
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Why .600 NE and not .577 Tyrannosaur. Would be more "thematic"! :)
Spoiler:

Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

JackRbbt wrote:Why .600 NE and not .577 Tyrannosaur. Would be more "thematic"! :)
I know what you mean :P But, for a bunch of reasons. I like the classical cartridges most for safari rifles. The golden age was pre WW1. The .600 Nitro was introduced in 1903. The .577 Tyrannosaur was introduced in 1993. It's also pretty uncommon and superfluous considering how many old classical big game calibers there are that are amazing with modern loads and bullets. Also I wanted the .600 Nitro in a double rifle, and the .577 Tyrannosaur, being a rimless round would be highly unsuitable for a double rifle intended for dangerous game.
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

Lawger, it was a joke! ;) A far as i know, the manufacturer of .577 was closed few years ago, so i don't know if this cartridge is still on the market.
Spoiler:

Lawger
Hunter

Post by Lawger »

JackRbbt wrote:Lawger, it was a joke! ;) A far as i know, the manufacturer of .577 was closed few years ago, so i don't know if this cartridge is still on the market.
Yeah, I got that ;) . Hence the first sentence and the smiley. However, I think it's worth writing some about these things, if not for you then for other readers of this board. Especially the thing with rimmed vs. rimless cartridges in double rifles is something that a lot of guys seem to misunderstand. I'm sure you don't, but a lot of others do.
marcomies
Tracker

Post by marcomies »

The initial weapons list is now on theHunter: Primal's steam page http://store.steampowered.com/app/322920/ They have promised more weapons for actual realease in March though (it's going to be on early access first).

Weapons and Equipment
12 GA Crowd Control Shotgun
.700 Double Rifle
.308 Marksman Rifle
Improvised Bow
.44 Disciplinary Handgun
Scopes
Different clothes with camouflage properties
Health sprays (of different qualities)
A triceratops caller
Secret map pieces - Will clear the fog on the game map
Settlermate - Your GPS/Dinotracker

Seems pretty OK set of weapons even if there is only .700 double rifle for T-Rex and Triceratops and everything else seems to be more fitting for raptors. Not sure what "Improvised Bow" means but somehow I doubt it will do much good against the big dinos.

Looks like the game is going to be taking place on some kind of New Australia where the animals are even more outdated. "Crowd Control Shotgun", "Marksman Rifle" and "Disciplinary Handgun" make it sound like the weapons have been looted from wardens of the prisoner transport or something like that. I hope that doesn't mean there won't be weapons specifically designed for hunting dinosaurs and at least there is the .700 double rifle which doesn't sound like a law enforcement weapon. "Settlermate" could mean that player is at least shipped on the planet on purpose and not stranded there by accident.
EmptyDesigner

Post by EmptyDesigner »

I'd like to see a few different ammo types for bows like a few others. Possibly explosive tip, maybe like a tranquilizer to slow them down for a simpler take-down. The same could also be said for shotgun rounds, Flachette, Slugs, Explosive (Eg: BF4).

Albeit not a weapon per say, but I know people have mentioned traps, or at the very least something to attract prey to a different location other than yours (meat hand grenade?). It could also be used to move dinos to a location if they are in an area with some loot.

Has anyone mentioned or seen any suggestions about Defensive weapons/tactics/armors?

Return to “theHunter: Primal”