Ridiculous sodium account

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
Cauliflower
Tracker

Ridiculous sodium account

Post by Cauliflower »

Don't get me wrong... I like salty foods but a lot of the things I'm buying in grocery stores are ridiculously filled with salt. I recently just had Knorrs Stroganoff and the sodium is 1,270mg as packaged and 1,420mg as prepared. The same thing goes for dill pickles. Canned soups also have this issue. I know you can buy organic and get the good stuff, but some people can hardly afford it. Why is the cheap stuff always so high in sodium? I never remember it being this high. It's like they just keeping adding more and more as the years go by. Why can't they just leave it alone?
jttoo
Hunter

Re: Ridiculous sodium account

Post by jttoo »

Make your own Half Sour pickles, and you can reduce the salt. Now that I have tasted my own pickles I find the store bought ones way too salty. One of the reasons they add so much salt is for preservation. When you make your own you can use less salt.

I use the following recipe (with 1.5 Tbsp of salt, and extra garlic). Some recipes add dill and onions. The Calcium Chloride is optional and is used to make the pickles crispy. I have been buying little cucumbers from the store to make my own pickles, but now that my vegetable garden is producing cucumbers, I'll use them. Can't wait!

3g Calcium Chloride (1 tsp)
1000g Water (1qt)
300g Cucumbers (2/3 lb)
28g Salt (2 Tbsp)
10g Garlic, halved and green sprouts removed (1 clove)
10g Mustard Seed (1 Tbsp)
Combine and refrigerate.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Ridiculous sodium account

Post by Fletchette »

It's got Electrolytes !!!
Personal Bests...

Return to “General Off Topics”