Single vs Double Action

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
toxicdog
Spotter

Single vs Double Action

Post by toxicdog »

For revolvers, some like single action and some like double so here's my question for the hunting sidearm packers:
These days I carry the S&W 629 .44 with a laser grip because you just pull it out and go, seems logical, less to think about when you're in big trouble
In the past I carried the Ruger single action in a 44 but the single action took extra time, I thought I would fumble under duress so I switched
Does anyone prefer the single action over the double? I'd like to understand this better, thanks for any input
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Single vs Double Action

Post by Tod1d »

I have the same gun, which I love. 6" barrel, no laser. I'm so used to cocking the hammer when I draw it that I'm pretty sure it would just happen without thinking.
Not to say that the double-action isn't a comfort to have just in case it's ever needed.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

With practice you could theoretically shoot it in single action almost as fast as you can in double action. I'm not that familiar with revolvers but if there's time to **** it before shooting then do it. Double action does give you the edge of firing it as fast you can pull the trigger which might become the life-saving difference in case of a bear attack for example.
toxicdog
Spotter

Post by toxicdog »

Thanks for the responses, the bears don't bother me, but we got wolves this year in our unit and tbh i'm nervous
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

I think double action is your best bet, but get practice in hitting your target with double actio to get familiar with the gun and to feel confident with it. Practice makes perfect.
toxicdog
Spotter

Post by toxicdog »

Thank you Hosenfuhrer I agree, It's a real sweetie to fire and the laser is nuts on. My son thinks a speed loader would be a good idea. The in-game revolver animations use one, though I once thought if i use up the first 6 rounds it's my time to go, but these look pretty slick
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I got a pair of these (Maxfire Revolver Speedloader 44 Remington Magnum 6-Shot Package of 2) for mine. They work pretty good. Although I've only ever used them at the range.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Raptor02
Outfitter

Post by Raptor02 »

I just picked up a Smith and Wesson 629 in a 4” barrel a couple months ago. After listening to my friends with single actions, they wished they went with double. If your just shooting deer it’s fine, most of your shots would be in single action anyway. But I went with the double and got a chest holster that I really like from a manufacturer in Alaska. Just because of not having much time to draw when being charged by a hog.

Return to “General Off Topics”