Hunting in USA for a foreigner, or is it legal to own a bow/crossbow?

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
_dfad_
Scout

Hunting in USA for a foreigner, or is it legal to own a bow/crossbow?

Post by _dfad_ »

As far as I found in US laws, an alien can't apply for FOID card unless they have immigrant-type visa. So those who have non-immigrant long-term visas are not allowed to own firearms.

But what about (cross)bows? I have found some phrases on 3rd party websites that (cross)bows do not relate to FOID because they are not firearms, but I can't find official statement regarding that.
Any references to official docs are appreciated.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Hunting in USA for a foreigner, or is it legal to own a bow/crossbow?

Post by Fletchette »

FOID is an Illinois thing.....Are you in non US citizen living in Illinois?
Personal Bests...
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

Yes, I'm so lucky. :)

Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

_dfad_ wrote:Yes, I'm so lucky. :)
Ok.....Just about any other state and you'd be OK. Assuming you don't want to escape from Illinois, there is still probably another option for hunting anyway. As far as I know, in most if not all states, you can possess (not sure about own) a firearm if you have a valid hunting license or tag. So you can borrow a gun from a friend for hunting, or even have a friend buy the gun and give it to you when you want to hunt. As long as you have a hunting license, the gun can be in your possession. I assume it's the same even in Illinois, otherwise non-Illinois residents couldn't hunt in Illinois, and they most certainly do. I personally hunted in Illinois many times, but I've never lived there and certainly didn't have a FOID tag. It was legal for me have a gun, because I had a valid non-resident Illinois hunting license and deer tag.

So as an Illinois resident you should be able to buy a resident hunting license or deer tags (cheap), which then allows you to be in possession of a firearm for hunting. Even if you don't qualify as an Illinois resident, you could buy a non-resident hunting license or deer tag (more expensive), and then be allowed to possess a firearm. You just can't "own" it.

I don't know if there is an exception for owning a bow or crossbow, but I did read that a non-US resident did successfully appeal and get a FOID tag, it just took a while because the bureaucrats just didn't understand that it's actually permitted. They just initially said no, because it was easy and they hadn't dealt with the issue before.

Of course your best option is to just get the Hell out of Illinois... :P
Personal Bests...
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Fletchette wrote:Of course your best option is to just get the Hell out of Illinois... :P
If you live just south of the Cheddar Curtain, it's easy, and there are more deer up there to shoot...and Peckers' fans :lol: :lol:

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

Fletchette, thanks for the detailed response! Yes, as far as I know same approach is used on some shooting ranges where an instructor works as FOID card carrier for a person without it. Though I don't have 'a fiend with a gun' here, I'll keep that in mind.

Any ideas where to find official papers about bows are still appreciated! :)

Return to “General Off Topics”