real world 22lr moderator problem

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
L3M182
Outfitter

real world 22lr moderator problem

Post by L3M182 »

so my little 22lr i bough recently is a lazer on paper at 25m un-moderated and i bought it because it had a 16inch threaded barrel and will/would off made a spot on little rabbit tool come spring. Here lies the issue because im going to be bashing bunnies during the night i will be using exclusively sub sonic ammo and a moderator. however when i kitted it all up my grouping is all over with the moderator on. and ive tried 2 separate mods. ive checked for clipping and as far as i can tell its not touching. it tends to group 2 or 3 rounds then throw a wild one high right or low left. I mean if i fired 50 without the mod i can put them all in 1 jagged hole. if i fire 50 with either mod on i get a bigger ragged hole in the center and 2 seperate smaller groups 1 high right and 1 low left. each by about an inch. ive tried HV rounds just in the range because they are the bulk economy blazer cci and i fire allot of them and ive tried expensive match subs. all do the same thing.

im stumped. any ideas.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: real world 22lr moderator problem

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

It may sound stupid, but is everything on your scope tight? I had a rifle that used to do that. Turned out it just wasn't compeletely tightened.

I guess I really don't know. I have bows that shoot terrible when I put a quiver on them but are fine without one. I would suggest just taking it off but it sounds like you need to be using it. Is that a regulation or something?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

nah mate its all bolted down secure. good shout though any suggestion helps. and its not regulation but where i shoot its around a few farms. ive always had permission and made the owners aware im gonna be around on the night but i do tend to slip by pretty much un-noticed in the dead of night even a 22lr crack sounds like a cannon if its not supressed. the farmers have tenants, and kids and horses in the fields not to mention it just lets everything know you're about. a moderator is just a way better and more sociable bit of kit for hunting the way i hunt
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Yeah, I agree with you there. During the summer I go around to the local golf courses and shoot skunks at night with a .22. Lots of these courses have houses around them and I always feel a little guilty if I have to cut loose on one at 2 in the morning. Never gotten a complaint though :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Avitt

Post by Avitt »

I had the same problem with my CZ 452 16inch threaded barrel, I was using a riflecraft moderator and my grouping was similar to what you've described, I ended up putting my old parker hale moderator on that I haven't used for at least 20 years and it solved my problem, I can now easily put 10 shots through a inch hole at 50+ yards, also what ammunition are you using L3M182 ? I tend to stick with the Winchester subsonic 40 grain and they work a treat, ive messed about using Remington and hornady ammo but find the Winchester much more stable, might be worth trying to pick up a parker hale, good luck anyways
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

glad you said that mate, its a cz 452 clone im using and a parker hale on it. also tried out a sirocco mod and it was the same. ammo ive tried was cci blazer, cci standard velocity federal champion and game shock and a hand full of expensive target round nose ammo think it was eley and it did show promise but nothing compared to what i was getting without the mod. im just trying to eliminate possibility before i move completely onto subs as my range is strictly no hollow-point as it destroys the range curtain and the only other option is match ammo that like £13 for 50
Avitt

Post by Avitt »

Fair play I see where your coming from now, its a strange one then, will put me thinking cap on and ask a few mates that are a bit more clued up n get back to you, happy bunny bashing though you cant beat it :)
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

cheers mate.

Return to “General Off Topics”