What Headphones do you recommend?

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: What Headphones do you recommend?

Post by caledonianblues »

nosnerb wrote:Would extra bass headphones work? I had my eye in some really nice ones that are on sale. Would extra bass screw with the sound?
It depends on the quality of the headphones. Professional headphones use premium quality components and advanced technology. The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros deliver astonishing low end response without impacting other ranges. You wouldn't think it's possible to have deep powerful bass through headphones without it being intrusive or distorted, but they deliver perfect thumping bass even at low volumes. In my opinion good headphones can match and in some cases surpass expensive amp / speaker combinations (which I've had many of over the years).
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

caledonianblues wrote:
nosnerb wrote:Would extra bass headphones work? I had my eye in some really nice ones that are on sale. Would extra bass screw with the sound?
It depends on the quality of the headphones. Professional headphones use premium quality components and advanced technology. The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros deliver astonishing low end response without impacting other ranges. You wouldn't think it's possible to have deep powerful bass through headphones without it being intrusive or distorted, but they deliver perfect thumping bass even at low volumes. In my opinion good headphones can match and in some cases surpass expensive amp / speaker combinations (which I've had many of over the years).
They're normally 200 bucks and in sale for 100 I'd assume there pretty nice and..... Oohh so comfortable :D
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Aaaaaah god please stop undeliberately trolling me lol.

There is almost as much sound signatures as there is headphones few are indead neutral. Having neutral headphones would not put any emphasis at any particular spectrum and would let you hear more and hear the sound as intended if it´s resonans free and the transient response is fast enough :). As for bass low frequency sounds is the hardest to detect where they come from some headphones reduce the bass to increase the perceived soundstage and for example let you hear foot steps in CS better. The best way to drown detail is to add a lot of sub frequency sounds in the mix. Maybe in Primal hearing the T-Rex stomping it can be important ;).

I have had my Sony CD 3K on repair and used my Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2 planars in the interim. These are fairly neutral but they do have some emphasis on bass over treble. Still compared to the DJ headphones they are flat and planars operate very fast with little distortion so it´s still clear. Seriously there is no need for boomy bass at all quite the opposite. My Sony CD 3K to my ears come across as among the more neutral headphones I have owned and it´s light enough, offer some isolation while still manage to sound open and I have no problem detecting where sounds come from with it. The Hunter do positional sound on headphones rather well I would say :)

But first of all never ever I buy a headphone called extra bass. I do like bass but it has to be quality and it can´t drown the mid range which is the most important aspect. what DJs often do is boost mid bass which can give some impact. They often actually don´t really go all that low.
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

knott wrote:
Aaaaaah god please stop undeliberately trolling me lol.

There is almost as much sound signatures as there is headphones few are indead neutral. Having neutral headphones would not put any emphasis at any particular spectrum and would let you hear more and hear the sound as intended if it´s resonans free and the transient response is fast enough :). As for bass low frequency sounds is the hardest to detect where they come from some headphones reduce the bass to increase the perceived soundstage and for example let you hear foot steps in CS better. The best way to drown detail is to add a lot of sub frequency sounds in the mix. Maybe in Primal hearing the T-Rex stomping it can be important ;).

I have had my Sony CD 3K on repair and used my Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2 planars in the interim. These are fairly neutral but they do have some emphasis on bass over treble. Still compared to the DJ headphones they are flat and planars operate very fast with little distortion so it´s still clear. Seriously there is no need for boomy bass at all quite the opposite. My Sony CD 3K to my ears come across as among the more neutral headphones I have owned and it´s light enough, offer some isolation while still manage to sound open and I have no problem detecting where sounds come from with it. The Hunter do positional sound on headphones rather well I would say :)

But first of all never ever I buy a headphone called extra bass. I do like bass but it has to be quality and it can´t drown the mid range which is the most important aspect. what DJs often do is boost mid bass which can give some impact. They often actually don´t really go all that low.
Well crap. I just assumed they would be better. There are some exactly the same but non extra base. Are you saying that those would be better?
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I can´t say which of those is better or worse. What budget have you got and do you need isolation?
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

I am willing to spend $100 to $200. My house is often quite noisy and would be really great to be noise cancelling. Thinking about it, the thing that makes 1st person great is immersion. I feel like bringing ugher quality sound into the games I play could really enhance my enjoyment. I was against the idea at first but I'm starting to really look into it now
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Maybe can find some inspiration here http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ka ... mfcCyLV.97

AKG K550 feels the easiest to recommend of the few I actually listened to on that list :)
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Hardtree wrote:Hej!

My recommendation: Logitech G430. A slightly cheaper solution than the G930.
Link (op nederlands vanselfsprekend :) ) http://gaming.logitech.com/nl-nl/produc ... ng-headset

I am using it for a year now. It costs 50€ (special offer) - regular I think 60€.
Hardtree,
You using G430, what OS you have? My brother have one of this, ask him to loan to try it before bought it, but I have issues with Windows 10.

The game just freeze or drives stop to work and when try to launch "Playback Devices" does not run, just freeze, i just UNPLUG the USB G430 adapter the program runs ok.

This headphones really works with Windows 10? thanks for your help.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

mapache01 wrote:
Hardtree wrote:Hej!

My recommendation: Logitech G430. A slightly cheaper solution than the G930.
Link (op nederlands vanselfsprekend :) ) http://gaming.logitech.com/nl-nl/produc ... ng-headset

I am using it for a year now. It costs 50€ (special offer) - regular I think 60€.
Hardtree,
You using G430, what OS you have? My brother have one of this, ask him to loan to try it before bought it, but I have issues with Windows 10.

The game just freeze or drives stop to work and when try to launch "Playback Devices" does not run, just freeze, i just UNPLUG the USB G430 adapter the program runs ok.

Just pony up another $20US and get the G930. It's much better, and it works well with Win10 64.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Hardtree
Scout

Post by Hardtree »

mapache01 wrote: Hardtree,

It works fine for Win10 too. I recommend to NOT use the USB-adapter. Use the standard jack plug instead and it should work as intended.
(The issue is the soundcard (onboard) - it´s rarely identifying the USB-plugin as a sound-connection)

The G930 is nice but also a bit too expensive in my opinion. Another disadvantage is the wireless/battery-function. Imagine you´re in the middle of something and the battery is going off - what a cruel imagination! I recommend a tethered (non-wireless) headset. Cheaper and reliable...
Spoiler:

Return to “General Off Topics”