What did you eat for dinner?

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Re: What did you eat for dinner?

Post by curlyCoyote »

Here goes curly again, reviving the 2nd thread for today that is almost older than him

Anyways, the food I challenged myself with was fried egg rice with vegetables.

I wanted to say, that I suddenly respect people that cook rice so much, I thought it would cook just as fast as pasta (7-12 min max), not a whopping 30-40 minutes!
I started with about a cup of rice and added way too much water...Not a great start
After that, it took like 30 minutes to fully cook!
Then, tired curly decided to chop up some standard mushrooms (about 3 of em), about 2 semi-skinny carrots, a bit of dill for preference, and a small onion.
I prepared 2 eggs in a mixer, and took off the extra water from the cooked rice.
All of you home cooks will kill me for this, but here is what I did: I added the onion, let it get golden, and a bit of olive oil.
Not long after, I added my shrooms, carrots, and dill to combine with the onions and poured in about 30 milliliters of soy sauce.
After waiting like 8 minutes for the total mixture to combine and cook, I immediately put in my rice and 2 eggs.
Not even 15 seconds later, I thought 2 eggs would not be enough for the large volume of rice, so I added 2 extra, making it 4 total.
I kept stirring stirring and stirring for like a good 10 minutes.

Here is the result:

Not very pretty, but definitely a strong aroma of eggs and mushrooms and soy sauce.
For the taste test, it tastes like overcooked soft rice with tasteless vegetables and a smell of soy sauce.
It tastes a bit wet, not crispy as I expected it to.
It's not impressive, but it tasted like heaven's reward after doing 2 hours of my pre-calculus homework.

For future:

Add 2 eggs instead of 4, there feels too "eggy" inside my bowl of rice.
Pour 3 times the soy sauce, at least that might fix my monstrosity.
Cut carrots like 4 times as fine, mine look like circles and are rough to the bite compared to the rest of the dish.
Turn up the heat like 2 bars so the rice cooks to be a bit dryer.

Conclusion:

Curly can ruin any dish.

Update: The dish has given Curly a diarrhea, easily explained by Gus:
"curly just puts sht in"...................gets sht out
-------

Judging by how my first "experiment" went, I will definitely not survive college without instant-ramen.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Almost always elk steak, spuds, and some veggy.

Since I retired from hunting this year i'll run out of elk meat at some point. No problem. I have a lot of elk hunting friends. ;)

Edit......I forgot. Desert is almost always a bowl of unsweetened applesauce with strawberries in it. I never get sick of it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Past three nights I have had bear hamburgers, spaghetti with bear meatballs, and tonight bear backstrap. I almost prefer it to any other wild game. It's super tender, well flavored, and not gamey at all.

You'll figure it out Curley, I couldn't cook much before college either but you figure it out pretty quick. Then once you start filling the freezer you can be eating steaks every night while your friends eat ramen. ;)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Past three nights I have had bear hamburgers, spaghetti with bear meatballs, and tonight bear backstrap. I almost prefer it to any other wild game. It's super tender, well flavored, and not gamey at all.

You'll figure it out Curley, I couldn't cook much before college either but you figure it out pretty quick. Then once you start filling the freezer you can be eating steaks every night while your friends eat ramen. ;)
I agree about bear meat. If you're talking about black bear.

I'd make a huge bear stew that would last me a week. That's good eating.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

My self control isn't that good. Normally I'll make something and tell myself that I'll get two or three dinners out of it. Then end up eating most of it for dinner and the rest as a snack later...

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I agree and do the same thing but i'm talking about a BIG stew. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

Sorry for being inactive on the forums a lot recently, been busy a lot.
But I managed to have myself some free time today and cook myself some nice rib meat and vegetables.

Maxmunger8
Spotter

Post by Maxmunger8 »

Last night I had some Chili from a Homemade recipe. ( I will not share the recipe) :-)
Why do you wear pink camo? Are you going to hunt flamingos? - Anonymous
MaruisL

Post by MaruisL »

Pasta with tomato souse
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Couldn't decide between meatloaf & shepherd's pie, so I made shepherd's meatloaf, with venison. Yummy!
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “General Off Topics”