Any mechanics on board?

Anything not associated with theHunter :)
Donna
Spotter

Any mechanics on board?

Post by Donna »

Here's the scenario.... going down the freeway in a 96 plymouth grand voyager, at speed (70mph). Suddenly the engine just dies...complete loss of power. Needless to say my friend's husband wasn't too pleased.

Ok so... the AirBag light comes on
... the power locks do not work
... the horn does not work

No other noticeable issues, other than when you turn the key absolutely nothing happens.
... power windows, lights, radio, heater all working
... no check engine light

Try to get a jump, it does nothing. Tow truck comes, charges $90 for the rip-off and we get back home 16 miles and 3 hours later.
At the house, he unloads the van.
Friend gets in, turns the key and it starts right up. Several times in fact.

The battery does seem a bit sluggish. Anyway, he goes to Hi-Lo (auto parts) and they test the alternator and find it is doing what it is supposed to (or so they say). Exchange is made for a new battery.

Seems like an electrical issue perhaps. A loose connection somewhere, that got jostled while on the tow truck ride?

Any ideas here?
Flex
Tracker

Re: Any mechanics on board?

Post by Flex »

96? Sounds like it could be an intermittent electrical short if some power works and other doesn't.
Something that could have shaken itself loose during the tow back. Worst case? You may be looking
at a possible onboard computer issue.
Donna
Spotter

Post by Donna »

Flex wrote:96? You may be looking
at a possible onboard computer issue.
Yeah 96 and I know about those 'computer' issues lol. But I'm sure he won't wanna consider that if you know what I mean, lol.
scats

Post by scats »

The "brain" is heating up. That's why it started a few hours later. Replacing is the only option. Try junkyards first. But beware cause alot of them has a no return policy on electrial parts.
Fabled Foe
Hunter

Post by Fabled Foe »

Could be a fuse, maybe the ground wire, the brain, a short. Check yer grounding to the engine block. Make sure yer battery teriminals are clean and tight.

I also had an ignition switch problem that had similar symptoms.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

a plug connection in the wiring harness may be loose and heating up and breaking connection, chrysler has had a problem with the connection at the firewall going into the passager compartment [this connector will allow some things to work and others not to work when it acts up]for many years. a loose connection some where?

hope this helps.
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

Donna
Spotter

Post by Donna »

outrider wrote:a plug connection in the wiring harness may be loose and heating up and breaking connection, chrysler has had a problem with the connection at the firewall going into the passager compartment [this connector will allow some things to work and others not to work when it acts up]for many years. a loose connection some where?

hope this helps.
That sounds interesting. I'll have to tell my friend to check it out. Thanks.
And thanks to everyone that's responded as well.

Return to “General Off Topics”