Rifles | 7x64mm Bolt Action Rifle (w/ 1.1 - 8x Rifle Scope)

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.
Mercious

Re: Rifles | 7x64mm Bolt Action Rifle (w/ 1.1 - 8x Rifle Scope)

Post by Mercious »

Its the only rifle I have so far besides the 243, Its been pretty good to me, I dont get to many run offs, penetrates shoulder blades fairly well.

I dropped multiple Ibex @300+m with a heart/lung shots,. I had no problems so far dropping moose or elk, most of them I take down under 100m.
“Even though time on the job is temporary, if I do a good enough job, my work there might last forever.”
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Have you hunted Rusa? I spotted a regular 145 kg rusa male. At 33 metres I felt confident with the 5.5x-22x eagle scope. I needed a heart shot so tried to make life as easy as possible. I was absolutely amazed when I got a body shot not even shoulder bone hit just body?
I later found a smaller rusa female 58 kg at 92 meters. That resulted in shoulder bone, heart and liver. Nothing spectacular but not sure if it´s rusa or the 7x64 which is at fault here.

hmm tried the same on a rusa male 97 meters 7mm spaghetti. sight wobbled a little bit left so would accept a lung shot but body again and similar tracking distance.
Mercious

Post by Mercious »

Not yet hunted Rusa, and I'm not really sure how serious the game is yet as a simulator. It seems fairly good so far though, I usually wait for a angle shot, back to front, arm pit --> double lung, sometimes heart, this angle is a clean fast kill for me most of the time. Shots from the front at an angle can be a problem, I don't get many as many double lung hits. I try not to take the front shots as often, not pro enough to knock on that heart every time,.

I think some of the body shots that puzzle me when they run off are leg to --> shoulder, I don't think the game is showing the body wound on the legs when I finally find the dam thing an harvest it.
“Even though time on the job is temporary, if I do a good enough job, my work there might last forever.”
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

If you aim low you get the heart but there seem to be some kind of pocket where you just don´t hit anything if you go for the lungs. I was hunting muledeer found a 194 scorer. I played it safe I thought went for the big lungs rather then heart but to my amazement I got intestine as only organ hit. .270 so penetration did it´s job just didn´t hit anything hitting perfectly centered on the bow so must went between the lungs, juuuust over the liver and I guess hit the stomach who knows.
Something similar must have happened to the rusa where I actually got the bullet to go clean through maybe stop just before the stomach possible. I wish the hunter would have the same bulletcam like in cabelas pro hunter series. That is very pedagogic. Or at least get the COTW harvest screen.
Mercious

Post by Mercious »

yea, sounds about right, thats why I wait for a angle side hit on a high value harvest. I had many clean hits to the front of bigger species and missed the lungs an heart, usually end up with a liver or intestine, but they can still run pretty far, even loose the tracks and never find them.

/edit, if I get an intestine hit from a side shot, its just a bad shot,. :roll:
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Great rifle for Ibex and Dall Sheep. Dropped a Dall male on the spot at 274m in my last hunt. Best for medium and smaller game but shoots really flat.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Any of you got the engraved version?
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Finally got Gm$ for the engraved. I do like it a lot very nice calm warm colour scheme when aiming down the sight, good iron sights and fun bolt action. Haven´t tried long distance but it don´t seem to give away much if anything to 7mm on the archery addiction range. Just wish it would be as light though. Not sure why 7mm is the only 3 in category rifle with that power.
Mercious

Post by Mercious »

knott wrote:Finally got Gm$ for the engraved. I do like it a lot very nice calm warm colour scheme when aiming down the sight, good iron sights and fun bolt action. Haven´t tried long distance but it don´t seem to give away much if anything to 7mm on the archery addiction range. Just wish it would be as light though. Not sure why 7mm is the only 3 in category rifle with that power.
Its got a flat trajectory out to about 260-275 m, when shooting in the ibex comp I had to drop down a hair at 310+ I was using the 5.5-22x56 scope.

I use the iron sights mostly, and take down game under 100m, I only rock a sight in comps if I have to shoot further.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

Dubitabilus wrote: In reality, the 7x64mm is the slightly larger European "cousin" of the American .270WIN & .280REM.
However, in theHunter, this caliber's performance is vastly superior to the in-game .270, .308, & .303 and appears to be more comparable to the in-game .30-06 & 8x57.
So if you are looking for a "more accurate" representation of the .270 in this game, in my opinion this is the rifle to go to.
I'm not sure where you took that information. 7x64 is considerably more powerful than both .270 and .280 in real life. It's also a little more powerful than .30-06 and about equal to 8x57. So there's nothing wrong with its in game representation. Although I would agree that .270 is unnecessary restricted in the game.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”