Rifles | 7x64mm Bolt Action Rifle (w/ 1.1 - 8x Rifle Scope)

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Rifles | 7x64mm Bolt Action Rifle (w/ 1.1 - 8x Rifle Scope)

Post by Dubitabilus »

(Images courtesy of the wiki)

= = =
Rated: Excellent

PROS
*Great Penetration and Trajectory (Out to 200m)
*Wide Permitted Species list (Coyote thru Polar Bear)
*Short Range and Long Range Optics Options

CONS
*4 Unit Capacity Cost (4.5 with Optic); heavy in comparison to other 7mm/.270 rifles
*0.65 Unit Capacity Cost for Ammunition; heavy in comparison to other 7mm/.270 ammo
*Animation for aiming is lacking the engage/disengage the safety; should be similar animation to the MERKEL HELIX .308 Bolt Action (very minor con)

= = =
This rifle and ammunition platform is one of the top performers of the large game, non-magnum calibers.
I've primarily hunted Feral Hogs, Wild Boars, and various deer and I can confidently say medium and large game will drop easily when taken from within 200 metres with this firearm.

In reality, the 7x64mm is the slightly larger European "cousin" of the American .270WIN & .280REM.
However, in theHunter, this caliber's performance is vastly superior to the in-game .270, .308, & .303 and appears to be more comparable to the in-game .30-06 & 8x57.
So if you are looking for a "more accurate" representation of the .270 in this game, in my opinion this is the rifle to go to.

As for the 1.1-8x riflescope, it is functionally the same as the 2-6x rifle scope with one more step of zoom.
The illuminated reticle is bright and contrasts well against any target in daylight but may actually be an issue for those that like to hunt during dusk/dawn.
Additionally, the crosshair is noticably thicker than non-illuminated reticles and does have the simulated "corona" effect like in the 2-6x riflescope and red dots.
Overall, still a great scope for short-to-mid range shots.

According to my research from the forums and image searches, this rifle is beautifully modeled after the SAUER 404 Classic and the 1.1-8x Scope is modeled after the ZEISS VICTORY V8 1-8x (for those interested in the IRL counterparts).

= = =
Distance & Penetration Examples
Mule Deer (M): https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /713883302
196.92m; Shoulder Blade, Right Lung

Mule Deer (F): https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /713883416
219.16m; Left Lung, Heart

Feral Hog (M): https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /713888254
156.26m; Right Lung, Left Lung

Whitetail Deer (M): https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /714057974
163.03m; Shoulder Blade, Left Lung, Right Lung

Coyote (M): https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /714088646
225.84m; Hip Bone, Intestines

Wild Boar (F): https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /714125574
154.59m; Left Lung, Right Lung

Roe Deer (M): https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /714128089
154.59m; Intestines, Liver
Last edited by Dubitabilus on May 6th, 2020, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Re: Rifles | 7x64mm Bolt Action Rifle (w/ 1.1 - 8x Rifle Scope)

Post by Rugged_Randy »

Good rifle, what I have tested it ballistics are quite similar as 7mm magnum. Not steadiest rifle to shoot in low levels, but not too bad and gets better quick. Looks great and sound is quite realistic if maybe slightly muffled. Basically if you want 7mm mag performance on a bolt action rifle, this is a good option.
HogSqueak
Tracker

Post by HogSqueak »

How good it is for bears at 200+ meters? I like rifles with magazine but im not quite sure this one has good penetration based on some yt vids i was watching.
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

HogSqueak wrote:How good it is for bears at 200+ meters? I like rifles with magazine but im not quite sure this one has good penetration based on some yt vids i was watching.
Most YT vids are old, before 7x64 was buffed up. It takes everything ethical down at least 250m away. Of course it needs right shot placement on long distances to big animals. Power is comparable to 7mm magnum.
HogSqueak
Tracker

Post by HogSqueak »

Rugged_Randy wrote:
HogSqueak wrote:How good it is for bears at 200+ meters? I like rifles with magazine but im not quite sure this one has good penetration based on some yt vids i was watching.
Most YT vids are old, before 7x64 was buffed up. It takes everything ethical down at least 250m away. Of course it needs right shot placement on long distances to big animals. Power is comparable to 7mm magnum.
Hmm okay thank you for your feedback. Gonna think about it and maybe get it.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Rugged_Randy wrote:
I seen some early tests where you could hardly even hunt whitetail with it. Obviously fixed. But is it buffed to the point it´s past the new .308 rifle ammo?

I did some hunt at Hemmeldal and it certainly seemed okay for brown bear but seems to get a bit better shots with the .308 and more downed bears on the spots but need more statistic for sure. If so as it look so sleek it would be a good replacement of the .308 bolt action due to it´s better scopes and aiming without scope. Heavier is a real bummer though.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

IMHO, there are far too many varieties of rifles, and far too many needed for missions and used as mission gatekeepers, and too many marginal rifles like this one. Why bother?

All you need is 3 rifles. Something big like the .340 or .45-70, the .300 for deer and medium game, and then an effective varmint rifle like the .223 bolt. Plus all of these can use the 5.5-22 scope. What a waste of development effort and time to have all these other marginal rifles.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

jttoo wrote:IMHO, there are far too many varieties of rifles, and far too many needed for missions and used as mission gatekeepers, and too many marginal rifles like this one. Why bother?...What a waste of development effort and time to have all these other marginal rifles.
Nooooo there are too FEW rifles. I like having lots of toys :D especially beautifully engraved ones :D :D

Some rifles which aren't required for missions but are really great, enjoyable to use IMO

.30R
9.3x74R
.45-70 Buffalo Rifle
7.62x54R

Haven't used the 7x64 much, partly because it's another bolt action rifle with the bog standard bolt action reload animation (boring). Don't think it looks that nice either.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

jttoo wrote:IMHO, there are far too many varieties of rifles, and far too many needed for missions and used as mission gatekeepers, and too many marginal rifles like this one. Why bother?

All you need is 3 rifles. Something big like the .340 or .45-70, the .300 for deer and medium game, and then an effective varmint rifle like the .223 bolt. Plus all of these can use the 5.5-22 scope. What a waste of development effort and time to have all these other marginal rifles.
I am hunting something to hunt for. I do have pretty much everything. I will never get the british .303. Currently I need 17000 gm$ for either the 7x64 engraved but I want it to for sure be on the same level as the .308 if so or the 9.3x74R engraved. I have the standard versions of both and two .308s so it´s of course not a need.

Tried archery addiction. .308 vs 7x64. Very tough match absolutely identical penetration on all broadside shots trying to hit bone before lungs primarily. neither could penetrate the infamous black bears bones. The differentiator I found is the moose where you can get a total frontal shot on. 7x64 only reach the stomach where the .308 also give intestine. Now which has the most damage power if the same amount of organs is hit?

Geared toward the 9.3 engraved now unless the 7x64 do have more wounding power to compensate for less penetration and live with my ugly anschutz. since of course the 9.3 do solve the wounding power issue anyway. I try to be sane in my insanity :p
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

jttoo wrote:IMHO, there are far too many varieties of rifles, and far too many needed for missions and used as mission gatekeepers, and too many marginal rifles like this one. Why bother?

If you are content with having only three rifles, then, I guess, good for you. I, for one, would be immensely bored after a while in that case. The more we have different weapons, the better it is. I like to change weapons after some time.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”