Bows & Crossbows | Heavy Recurve Bow

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
16%
1 - Very poor
2%
2 - Poor
7%
3 - Average
4%
4 - Good
20%
5 - Excellent
51%

Total votes: 45
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bows & Crossbows | Heavy Recurve Bow

Post by TreeKiwi »

The 'InstinctiveArcher' Heavy Recurve Bow.
A powerful recurve bow based on the absolutely stunning real life creation of community member Instinctive Archer!

See it here in the store.

Please leave your comments, reviews and media relating to this item below. As this is a weapon, additional information relating to weapon penetration would be extremely useful. Screenshots and YouTube videos are welcome.
Generalkommendant
Hunter

Re: Bows & Crossbows | Heavy Recurve Bow

Post by Generalkommendant »

Silent and powerful. Very nice.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

If you are only going to buy one recurve this is the one to get!

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Had to ask to get this one added to reviews just so I could rate it, "excellent." Closing in on my one thousandth kill with it now as a casual hunter.

Pros:
- Beautiful. User InstinctiveArcher designed it and made it IRL and it looks just as fantastic in-game.
- Sounds good, quiet and natural, with the thunk of its release satisfying.
- POWERFUL. If you hit something with this it's dying soon. Penetration is quite good.
- Fantastic "traditional" hunting feel.

Cons:
It doesn't have the range of compound bows, with a fairly heavy drop-off. 40 yards or so is your max, I think.

Comparison:
The Parker Python is by comparison, when using its sights, quiet, fast and accurate to the point of being overpowered. With the PP you can whip it up, flick off a shot and you know something will eventually die--and you won't spook anything anywhere near; very efficient. The Heavy Recurve is however much more powerful. It's a little heavier, and if something gets close enough, you can punch a hole right through it. It also takes a very different hunting style: the Heavy Recurve's shot will spook things out to about 50 yards, whereas the Parker Python... sometimes doesn't even spook the animal you hit. The Heavy Recurve requires practice to hunt with, and a patient playstyle; you can stalk things with it, and need to get very close to kill, giving a quite thrilling, engaging and skill-based hunt. It's not that it feels too difficult--more that it feels more rewarding to get a kill with, because you know you lined everything up well. It's satisfying.

If you're stand-hunting, however, you might prefer the PP, since you can take out multiple animals that come in to your calls, one after the other, without spooking them.

All in all, even though I tend to use the Parker now, I often take this along as well. Stalking up to within 30 yards of a trophy animal and genuinely having to watch the wind, other incoming animals, and its alertness, then grabbing cover and taking the shot and watching it go down, while aiming traditionally and by eye alone--it's very rewarding to use.

I highly recommend it for a fun time.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Rated: Excellent

Pros
  • Unique design handcrafted by our very own InstinctiveArcher <Forum Topic: Bow Building>
  • Powerful impact
  • Satisfying sounds
  • Able to use Recurve Tracer Arrows
  • Applies to missions requiring recurves
Cons
  • Point-on distance is different from other recurves
  • When aiming past 25m, Line-of-Sight to target is lost
  • Does not share weapon skill with the "takedown" recurves
Comments
At first, I was disappointed by the difference in point-on distance from the other recurves (20m instead of 30m).
However, as I harvested more and more animals I grew to like it.

Pro Tip: When the spotting info pops up in the corner when you draw/aim, the target animal in within range.

As for power, penetration, and wound times, I can not tell any significant differences compared the "takedown" recurves.
Arrows that find their mark in the vital region of deers and pigs tend to DRT (Dead Right There). :lol:
I do subjectively think that the arrows from the Heavy Recurve sink a bit deeper than the "takedowns" so maybe penetration is better.

Finally, the looks of this award-winning piece of woodworking is just gorgeous.
The design and lines are reminiscent of a Fred Bear bow I've been eyeing!
Great job IA!

Sinks arrows deep and drops medium game on the spot like a rock!
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Return to “Store Item Reviews”