Rifles | .30 R O/U Break Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
10%
1 - Very poor
1%
2 - Poor
3%
3 - Average
1%
4 - Good
21%
5 - Excellent
63%

Total votes: 136
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Re: Rifles | .30 R O/U Break Action Rifle

Post by Ravenousfox »

Overpowered, nerf it. :lol:
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
THammer_37

Post by THammer_37 »

Love the .30R, but I have replaced it with the 9.3 break action!
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

great all rounder! good distance but to my feeling its obsolete due to the 9.3 O/U being introduced. the .30 does fit the more regular scopes though!
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

How is this rifle not allowed for coyote? The 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle is but this one is not? Sometimes EW makes no sense.
Code: Select all
RedWolf
Spotter

Post by RedWolf »

nachthexe wrote:How is this rifle not allowed for coyote? The 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle is but this one is not? Sometimes EW makes no sense.
And to add to the confusion, it's not allowed for bison, banteng and water buffalo either, a rifle that performs similar in-game to a .300.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

RedWolf wrote:
nachthexe wrote:How is this rifle not allowed for coyote? The 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle is but this one is not? Sometimes EW makes no sense.
And to add to the confusion, it's not allowed for bison, banteng and water buffalo either, a rifle that performs similar in-game to a .300.
No that is ok in my eyes. I just do not understand if classified as weaker then the 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle in regards to big animals, why it also can not shoot coyotes which are at the lower end of the 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle. the 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle can shoot bigger and smaller animals!
Code: Select all
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Rated: Excellent

Pros:
  • Powerful cartridge
  • Fast follow-up shot
  • Broad Optics selection
Cons:
  • Only 2 shots
  • Overkill affects harvest values
Comments:
Break-action, double-barrel rifles in the USA are rare and expensive pieces, so being able to virtually hunt with one is a HUGE plus.
Everything about this rifle is just exotic to me. The sound is satisfying. The design is delightful. The animations are awesome.

After reading a few articles on the .30R cartridge from Blaser, I believe the ammunition in game is represented well.
Stronger that the .30-06 and 8x57, but not quite as powerful as the .300 Win Mag.
I'd say it's comparable to the 7mm Rem Mag, 7x64mm Brenneke, and the updated .308 Win - Rifle Edition, but having a trajectory more similar to the .308.

I've noticed many comparisons to the 9.3x74mm double rifle as being the better buy, simply because of being able to take dangerous game.
I'd personally take the .30R instead for the flatter trajectory, lighter weight, and overall effectiveness on Canines, Cervids, and Ursa (the coyote issue notwithstanding)

Drops elk in their tracks!
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

One more critique regarding the operation and animations:

To my understanding, it is commonly designed for O/U guns with single triggers to shoot the bottom barrel first to mitigate muzzle flip.
The logic being the recoil of the first shot is absorbed more efficiently since the "under" barrel is set lower.
The direction of force is more inline with the shooter's shoulder and generates less muzzle flip and perceived recoil than the "over" barrel.

Conversely, in-game this rifle shoots the top barrel first.
Just a bit of trivia that is meaningless in it's performance in-game.
Then again, Doc is kinda "eccentric" so maybe he went against convention when designing his version of this rifle.
Spoiler:

Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Here is a nice trophy shot featuring the "Engraved II" for those looking for an example
Spoiler:

InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

I looked past the .30R and went straight for the .74R O/U. No regrets there! It's a fantastic gun. It's dropped everything I've shot so far and I'm still exploring it's usefulness for long range. One of the things I love so much about these rifles is they are ethical for a wide range of animals. The Weatherby is an extremely powerful gun but it doesn't even have that wide range of coverage. For sure, .30R and .74R are the guns that every player needs to own. New players need to know these are among the guns to buy when getting started. I've seen many recommendations for the .30R and nothing is said for the fact that one could skip the .30R and get it's upgrade that is the .74R (a better gun if my understanding is correct) and save the money.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”