Rifles | .45-70 Government Lever Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
9%
1 - Very poor
1%
2 - Poor
0%
3 - Average
4%
4 - Good
21%
5 - Excellent
65%

Total votes: 210
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Re: Rifles | .45-70 Government Lever Action Rifle

Post by outrider »

never leave base camp without it...... :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

UNDGND16

Post by UNDGND16 »

My Favorite along side the 7mm
No scope I use it as a side arm when hunting in bear country. ;)
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Very nice weapon. Looks great , feels great , doesnt sound as good as some other weapons but its great performance makes up for this.
Solid pick for big game. Fun to use at hog feeders.

Premium version looks stunningly beautiful.

Rated excellent
supercelldrw
Hunter

Post by supercelldrw »

It's a canon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spoiler:
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

One of my favorites. I won it in a community comp and only pull it out for certain species. I don't use a scope, the open sights on the premium are great to look down as you pull the trigger on a monster grizz. Looks, sounds and performs great.
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
Musarm

Post by Musarm »

Voted excellent. Really powerfull gun!
Alderman

Post by Alderman »

Rated Excellent

Great for mowing down boars at the feeder with that quick cadence and stopping power.
Except Bison it seems that this rifle does not need any proper shot placement. Aim at the animal, pull the trigger and prepare for the next harvest.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Purchased this today to handle Water Buffalo on the new Piccabean Bay reserve. I'm rating it Excellent. I haven't played with it more than an hour or so yet but I'll come back and edit in any changes with time.

Overall this is a rifle tailored to big game. It can best be described, imo, as "the 7mm Bullpup, but larger." It's heavier in your inventory, and the ROAR it makes is satisfyingly solid; however, it is still a 5-shot-ready weapon with a good range, fantastic accuracy and a solid selection of rifle scopes to choose from.

Performance-wise it seems to be VERY powerful at close range, but at long range has trouble with penetration on the biggest game (I've been testing on water buffalo, banteng, and feral hog). Water buffalo are irritatingly tough but a closer shot with this will almost certainly drop them, even if your shot placement isn't perfect. HOWEVER, the weapon's accuracy is dead-on even out to 200 yards. I've seen no evidence thus far whatsoever of any bullet drop. If you fit it with a long-range scope and aim for the heart, your target is dead, end of story. The wobble isn't bad even at no skill level--it's definitely there, but if you time your breath to when it's minimal, you can make even accurate long-range shots without issue. I've taken a couple things out already at about 175 yards accurately. For reference, I'm using the longest-range (12x50mm) scope, which I already had for my Bullpup. The iron sights seem very good.

In terms of versatility it obviously leaves something to be desired; this is a BIG GAME gun. It can't take deer, sheep, goats, wolves, etc. Even reindeer are out the window with this one. If you want those, get the 7mm or perhaps the 300. This gun takes big game and only big game and given the inventory space it takes up (4.5 compared to the Bullpup's 3 capacity), that can be a drawback for some. If you're looking for a general all-purpose rifle, this is not it, but I think this one would be hard to beat for tougher large game. If you're after moose, bison, bear, buffalo, red deer, elk, or pigs, it seems to be a solid choice.

Its aesthetics are solid. There's a sort of grid-like ridged area all along the wood at the front which you can't see very well in the Store. The weapon, to me, seems paler in-game (talking the "Laminated Wood" version, here). It's still quite good-looking, looks brutal in trophy shots, and I saw nothing wrong with any of the animations (they seem smooth & unobtrusive, relatively immersive). The sound is very (as mentioned) satisfying. It doesn't blow your ears off, but it sounds like a BIG GUN, and when it goes off, there's that little thrill of having just fired a monster. Here's a photo to close it off, of the gun in bright 9AM Piccabean light, with & without scope:
Schrider

Post by Schrider »

The gun it's based off on in real life is a Marlin 1895SS, i work on Marlin 1895's and their parts on a daily basis, so it was the first gun outside of the membership package i HAD to buy.

as for it's performance, i have it on good authority from a professional guide hunter in Alaska (with ~30 years experiance) that as soon as the gun was re-introduced in 1972, that almost every guide and professional hunter in Alaska had to have the gun too, modern loadings of 45-70 (given they're not loaded with hollow points or soft points) will go in one side of an animal, and out the other end, including all of the great bears, moose, water buffalo, etc so it's nice to see that in game it's killing power is accurately represented - however, the less powerfull loadings of 45-70 are perfectly adequate for deer, so if the game ever sees multiple ammunition types for more guns than just the muzzle loaders, it's species list would extend downward to the whitetail tier of animals, and 45-70 in its modern loadings has taken elephant and rhino, so it's more than up to the task of any larger animal the game could see.

As for asthetics, the gun is beautiful (especially the engraved version, although i'd kill to see an actual Marlin number 5 (4) pattern of engraving on the gun)

As for the sound of the gun, it's actualy pretty realistic, sounds about the same as the few hundred i've heard shot

As for the iron sights - exactly the same as real life sights most of the Marlin 1895's ive handled have had, and the same as i have on my Marlin 336 in 30-30 win and close enough to the aftermarket sights i have on a Marlin 1893 in 25-36 mar, and perfectly adequate for taking shots on large game up to the 200m mark with this gun in game, which would be a bit further than i'd shoot with these sights in real life.

a solid excellent
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

I have both the regular and premium. THey are amazingly powerful, even on long range. Very nice sound

Return to “Store Item Reviews”