Muzzleloaders | .50 Inline Muzzleloader

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
22%
1 - Very poor
No votes
2 - Poor
3%
3 - Average
8%
4 - Good
30%
5 - Excellent
37%

Total votes: 115
cajunman45
Outfitter

Re: Muzzleloaders | .50 Inline Muzzleloader

Post by cajunman45 »

I am glad we could put a real scope on it

Hunter.Glass

Post by Hunter.Glass »

It's not my *style* but I love it! It's accurate, longish shooting, reloads fast, and the scopes accurate! It can smoke a brown bear! Recommended! :D
~Glass
Favorite Caliber: .300 - Favorite Species: Bear - Hunting Since: 2015 - PC: AMD 1500X, 12GB, 1050 Ti
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Rated: Excellent

Pros:
  • Reliable terminal performance
  • Good selection of optics
  • Wide list of permitted species
  • Moderate carrying capacity costs
Cons:
  • Significant reload time
  • Limited "practical" usage range (<175m)
  • Noticable wind drift and drop at extended ranges
Comments:
The .50 Inline Muzzleloader is a great game taker for modest ranges within 175m.
It can mount the 2-6x32mm, 3-9x40mm, and 12x50mm scopes and the iron/open sights are spot on for anything 100m or less.
It will take every species from Coyotes to Water Buffaloes when using the appropriate ammunition.

The only significant complaint is the lengthy (re)loading of the firearm, which only adds to the realism of using a modern muzzleloader.
Try to keep shots within 150m, maybe 175m until one gets comfortable with holdovers.
Just note that crosswinds affects shots a lot more past 150m.

Finally, the two ammunition used with the .50 Inline Muzzleloader have similar trajectories but different terminal ballistics.
The .45 Sabot rounds lacks penetration but will still bleed a deer out with a body shot.
Compare terminal performance to being slightly better than the .30-30, .270, and .303.
The .50 Conical rounds will reliably single lung moose and elk out to 150m+ on broadside shots.

Overall, the .50 Inline Muzzleloader is a reliable hunting tool that has a small learning curve and requires more patience and forethought on the hunters behalf.
However, with some practice and planning, the .50 Inline Muzzleloader can easily be a "one-gun-hunt" candidate.

Great tool for medium and large game at modest ranges!
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

Average. Two ammo types seems good at first, but then you realize that using both ammo in single hunt not only inconvenient practically because of long reloads, but what's even more important for me , is totally immersion breaking as there's no practical way of reloading muzzleloader in the field without discharging it first. Two ammo types in this case just highlights a flaw of permitted ammo system. So for me it's either one or another and I should rate them separately. Both ammo types are good for the job, but at the same time there are much better alternatives in the game.

.45 saboted round reliably kills reindeer on body shot, but most of the time it's body shot because it's severly lacking penetration in the first place. .308 rifle round is way better for medium game.

.50 conical bullet also reliably kills big game with well placed shot, but .45-70 is also much better at that.

So for me it's good, but not very practical rifle.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”