Muzzleloaders | .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
14%
1 - Very poor
5%
2 - Poor
7%
3 - Average
18%
4 - Good
34%
5 - Excellent
21%

Total votes: 244
Seifer
Hunter

Re: Muzzleloaders | .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader

Post by Seifer »

I think it's a fine rifle for what it is. I try not to take shots more than 50m. Just read an article that read "I recommend limiting your shots to a maximum range of 100 yards, no matter what rifle you’re carrying. After all, the whole point of muzzleloader hunting is to be more skilful hunter and to stalk within closer ranges." I guess it could be tweaked. Hard to get penetration beyond 50m imo.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/seif ... /592864641
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

An interesting way of hunting. I seldom use it which is a shame as a themed gun like this is worth a try. It's reloading animation is great, but takes ages. This means no followup shots. As a hunter you will think twice before shooting. Adds an extra challenge.
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

HooCairs wrote:Brown bears are dead meat when hit with this gun even over long distances.
The addition of the scope only added to its value.

Rated "Good"
Sorry for the thread resurrection. But dang if I do not disagree. 7 shots on a bear for me. <100m all just body shots, aimed just above the front leg, or up and behind on many. Last one was in the upper chest when the bear was standing. Ended up with a magic bullet that said intestines. Thing seems to lack punch when it gets out there. I used to have good success with it with deer though.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I think the rifle is "fine" & never had any problems taking any of the animals I hunted with it. I would probably use it more but I dont like the iron sights on it, I wish it had the more traditional hawken style semi buckhorn rear & blade front. I dont care for that blaze orange stripe.

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Mashuu wrote:
HooCairs wrote:Brown bears are dead meat when hit with this gun even over long distances.

Rated "Good"
Sorry for the thread resurrection. But dang if I do not disagree. 7 shots on a bear for me. <100m all just body shots, aimed just above the front leg, or up and behind on many. Last one was in the upper chest when the bear was standing. Ended up with a magic bullet that said intestines. Thing seems to lack punch when it gets out there. I used to have good success with it with deer though.
My post is from 2014, not too long after release of the weapon. I do agree with you now. At some point the cap lock was downgraded so much that it is no fun to use now. Could have been when the inline muzzleloader was added, to make a difference. I would rate it poor today.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

I actually wish it was an older Brown Bess or .75 Caliber flintlock style muzzleloader. Maybe I was just having terrible luck. I still like it if I am hunting deer of somekind though. But anything that is at a decent range, the gun is useless.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I limit myself to shots under roughly 75m. I havent had a problem dropping anything at that range or shorter yet. When I am traditional hunting in Classic be it using this rifle or a longbow I handicap myself by not taking a rangefinder either.

Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

HooCairs wrote:
Mashuu wrote:

Rated "Good"
My post is from 2014, not too long after release of the weapon. I do agree with you now. At some point the cap lock was downgraded so much that it is no fun to use now. Could have been when the inline muzzleloader was added, to make a difference. I would rate it poor today.
I bought the weapon in March, and I believe it was sometime after then. When I first bought it, I was able to drop animals at about 75m. I pulled it out again in June and was very disappointed with the results. I may just be shooting differently now then before, or it's not as powerful as it used to be, and I suspect the latter.
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

I am certainly the last in experience, results etc. but that weapon is my judgment absolutely NOT ethical for large prey, i tried several times to hit bears even seven / eight times and eventually having to leave them in the woods after kilometers of pursuit ...I think it is more effective .17 on a bear that old and disgusting bolt...
Mashuu
Hunter

Post by Mashuu »

I will say that, I do think that the devs need to come out and say if they changed anything about it. It is rather unethical for them to change something in game like that that people have spent real money on.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”