Muzzleloaders | .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
14%
1 - Very poor
5%
2 - Poor
7%
3 - Average
18%
4 - Good
34%
5 - Excellent
21%

Total votes: 244
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Muzzleloaders | .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader

Post by TreeKiwi »

Mashuu wrote:I will say that, I do think that the devs need to come out and say if they changed anything about it. It is rather unethical for them to change something in game like that that people have spent real money on.
From this weeks patch "Slightly increased damage output of all Muzzleloaders."
Lindhe

Post by Lindhe »

*cough* avatar *cough*

I do absolutely love this gun. It's easily #2 on my favorites list (second only to 30-06 lever-action). The high number of permissions is mostly what sells it to me, though I only tend to use it on medium to small game. But reading other peoples posts I have to test it out on bears to see if the performance still holds up for me, I haven't used it for a while.
Hunter Profile:
Spoiler:
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Lindhe wrote:*cough* avatar *cough*

I do absolutely love this gun. It's easily #2 on my favorites list (second only to 30-06 lever-action). The high number of permissions is mostly what sells it to me, though I only tend to use it on medium to small game. But reading other peoples posts I have to test it out on bears to see if the performance still holds up for me, I haven't used it for a while.
Hi m8, if a huge permitted list is your thing then try the Inline Muzzleloader. :) Permitted to shoot Coyote and everything up to Water Buffalo.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Good advice from RF, plus the inline has a modern scope and much better performance.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Hunter.Glass

Post by Hunter.Glass »

Very good, I love this gun, I don't use it a lot for some reason lol, I'll use it more, but if you hit the vitals it smokes reindeer, bear, moose, deer, almost anything. I originally figured it's not accurate, until I took it to a shooting range and proned and I hit accurate at 180 yards O.O not kidding, this could hit at maybe 220 yards! Recommended! The scope is nice too even though its a 3x magnification!

I once hit a black bear in Rougarou Bayou, and I didn't hit right because I didn't know the gun well enough, and I chased it over 1700 yards and took a couple missed shots and finally it went down at the river bed towards the east, oooohhh my lord it was frusterating XD Black bears are fast! O.O
~Glass
Favorite Caliber: .300 - Favorite Species: Bear - Hunting Since: 2015 - PC: AMD 1500X, 12GB, 1050 Ti
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Just bought this gun since it is on sale and i needed a smokepole for comps and missions. I like it but find it won't kill any big game past 50m unless it is a perfect shot. It is also pretty much useless on bears unless they are very close and you hit heart/lungs. It will serve my purpose of buying it as long as i am patient and make good shots but I can't recommend it as a "main" weapon.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

It's horrible. I like everything about the gun except its horrible performance. When I took this gun I was ready that it would be inaccurate in comparison to modern rifles, but I was completely unprepared that it would also be so underperforming in comparison to even .243, let alone bigger caliber rifles.

Just look at this goat:
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/hera ... /769491639

First it failed to penetrate it's leg bone, then goat survived body shot and after that it didn't even drop her dead immediately on lung shot. It did run about 20-30 meters after that. For comparison I never saw goat that survived a body shot from even .243 rifle.

It such a bummer that this rifle with such a good look, sound and animation is such a let down from usability point of view.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Average

I am currently looking to get a DIY muzzleloader kit IRL so it got me back into theHunter to play around with this virtual Hawken rifle replica. Funny how that happens...

The .50 Cap Lock Muzzleloader is average among all the harvesting tools to choose from. Effective range is <100~120m, and that is stretching its limits assuming dead-on shot placement on smaller game. The permitted species list is fairly large (turkey/red fox-up-to-polar bears), so it can be a decent "general purpose" firearm.

According to the Archery Addictions targets, you start getting body shots on Moose around 60m. I single lunged this White Tail at 91m.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /973538745

Lastly:
The aiming point is not the top of the front blade but the bottom right of the colored section on the front blade.

Fixing this -or at the very least bringing the aiming point to the top right tip of the front blade- would make this muzzleloader significantly more usable and enjoyable.
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I've mentioned this before many times. The caplock in Classic is one of the poorest copies of an original Hawken the devs could have picked. It's made by Thompson Center in the 1970's. I can see they even picked a customers gun by the 4 dilled and tapped scope mounts. I see it has a modern scope mount pattern. The gun comes with no holes drilled and tapped from Thompson Center. The gun isn't made anymore and hasn't been for awhile. If you'd compare it to a good replica of an Original Hawken you'd see the huge difference.

I hunted with an original replica of a Hawken. I had it built from a kit by the Hawken Shop by a master gunmaker. Very expensive but well worth the money for me. I killed a lot of elk, deer, and black bear with it. I live and hunted in the Colorado Rockies. The gun was a dream to hunt with. Very heavy, but reliable and accurate. It was a .54 cal and I used nothing but a round ball (PRB) and 140gr of real black powder. It knock a bull elk off it's feet. I never had so much fun hunting with any other weapon. My method was sneaking in close as quiet as possible. Getting close before it see's, smells, or hears me. It's called still hunting. I hunt the same way in Classic.

I'm going to start a new account this morning in Classic. I'll use the caplock because it's all the game has but I really don't like it. It's a crappy copy of a Hawken. I'll also use the scope which goes against my grain but the open sights are terrible. They don't line up and use a red fiber optic front sight which no Hawken ever saw. It's a modern sight. I'll try and keep my hit-kill percentage at 100% as long as possible. Let's see how long I can do it. I'll hunt for elk and deer.

Not sure what kit you plane to build but if you want an authentic kit get this one made by the Hawken Shop. The owner of the shop got it from the original Hawken family. The machinery are exact copies of the originals that make the parts. The original Hawken had a 34-36" barrel. Classic caplock has a wimpy 28". The original Hawken never used any brass on it. It was all iron. The shape of the stock and parts on the gun aren't even close in the Classic Hawken. The barrel rifling and caliber are once again not even close. For the record. The Hawken was never a Civil War gun. It was a mountain man, frontiersman, hunters gun. Owned by those who wanted the best. I hunted, researched, went to rendezvous, and black powder shoots for 40 years. I know and love the Hawken rifle.

This is the kit you want to build if you want the real deal and can handle the weight. Good luck.

https://www.thehawkenshop.com/
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Yeah, the drilled/tapped holes (with screws sticking out!!!) really ruin the lines of this replica and the rear blade sight is terrible.

I honestly didn't know of the Hawkenshop until you mentioned it. Those kits will definitely be the gold standard competitors would need to live up to.

As of now, I'm just looking to get my feet wet with kit building so I was thinking of starting with an inexpensive Traditions Trapper pistol kit:

After that, if I was feeling confident enough I was looking at a Traditions Blunderbuss .54 kit:

Or maybe a Kentucky Rifle:

Then my goal was going to be a Lyman Great Plains kit:

Honestly, it all comes down to my limited budget, time, and resources. These are for those moments I need some "personal time." It'll all be hand sanded, chiseled, and whittled. I'm more of a hobby woodworker than shooter, and even less of a hunter (the only animals I've ever hunted are all virtual LOL).
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Return to “Store Item Reviews”